Foxes Live! Again

roo_tastic86

ive stayed away from this programme till tonight and ive watched a wee bit , a guy walking a fat fox around on a lead then showing everyone a dead one he couldnt part with and keeps it in the freezer . total nutcase and probably would be sectioned but he must have slipped through the loop .

i wont watch anymore so as not to give it the viewers ratings

i bet if you shot a fox in your garden protecting your chickens you would be in the poo

The trick is not letting anyone find out.

Someone found a dead fox near me but to be fair, most were pleased as there are a couple of chicken keepers and others had complained about them digging up gardens.

Most had an idea who did it but not one peep from anyone.

That's how it should be.

Have a Brother-in-law who thinks that foxs get bad press and T.V shows like that back up there ideas. Iam all on for people having there own opinions on Foxs as long as they are the same as mine lol. Just kidding but the brother-in-law classes me as cruel because I shoot them, and a lot of these people like to have there opinion on shooting but don't want to listen to ours.......

Have a Brother-in-law who thinks that foxs get bad press and T.V shows like that back up there ideas. Iam all on for people having there own opinions on Foxs as long as they are the same as mine lol. Just kidding but the brother-in-law classes me as cruel because I shoot them, and a lot of these people like to have there opinion on shooting but don't want to listen to ours.......

Unfortunately that is what you are always going to find with these Furry Friend Huggers Marty, they will only look at things with "Tunnel Vision" and believe that theirs is the only opinion that matters and is always the correct and only opinion to have!

Have to say - if there is no need to shoot a fox - I don't and as much as it pains me to say this on here - I have only watched the first program in foxes live and I did feel sorry for the mange ridden vixen under the shed that lost the cubs - I don't "hate" or even dislike foxes, but it was also distressing to see 130 odd poults laid out on the ground the year before last as a fox had got in and gone on a frenzy, we are lucky enough in the UK that we can dispatch foxes in areas where required but I don't think that will ever jeapordise them as a species, they adapt too quickly and have been able to live anywhere just about!

some of the opinions on here are as blinkered as the bunny huggers - as usual it's extremism that is the problem, it's all about finding a balance.

if you own a gold course - rabbits are the problem - so leave the foxes alone, if you rear game birds a fox cannot be left as an optional risk.

Simple... :good:

Regards,

gixer

Have to say - if there is no need to shoot a fox - I don't and as much as it pains me to say this on here - I have only watched the first program in foxes live and I did feel sorry for the mange ridden vixen under the shed that lost the cubs - I don't "hate" or even dislike foxes, but it was also distressing to see 130 odd poults laid out on the ground the year before last as a fox had got in and gone on a frenzy, we are lucky enough in the UK that we can dispatch foxes in areas where required but I don't think that will ever jeapordise them as a species, they adapt too quickly and have been able to live anywhere just about!

some of the opinions on here are as blinkered as the bunny huggers - as usual it's extremism that is the problem, it's all about finding a balance.

if you own a gold course - rabbits are the problem - so leave the foxes alone, if you rear game birds a fox cannot be left as an optional risk.

Simple... :good:

Regards,

gixer

Nicely put Gixer. :good: :good:

I'd pretty much agree with gixer1.

I've nothing against foxes, I've lost poultry to them and happily shoot them as a result, but I don't go round like many on here seem to with the view that every fox needs shooting, as said they can be useful.

I've nothing against urban foxes, I've not been able to watch this program but I think urban foxes need leaving alone where possible. Mostly they don't cause any problems, so unless they are after livestock or ill then live and let live.

People trying to tame them cause problems, they are complete idiots who must be incapable of chewing gum and walking in a straight line, ignore the foxes, don't feed them and let them take scraps out of bins. They do no harm.

I'd echo Gixer's comment on this topic, which seems the most reasonable so far.

He's quite right in that the only way to settle this argument is to find a balance. When I was in my early teens and still hunting foxes (which I would love to do again, had I the balls to get up on a horse) I was far more partisan on the matter, it was when hunting was first banned and it really was and 'us' and 'them' sort of world. Now I feel less ardent about the whole thing. Like Gixer I would tend not to shoot a fox if I felt it was unnecessary, I can appreciate the animals for their natural beauty and as an image that is of the British countryside. I would also try to avoid shooting a nursing vixen if I knew there was a set in the area, because leaving cubs to starve (unless they could be found and dispatched)is unnecessary and inhumane. Despite that, they are undoubtedly a pest, and when I shot a fox last week that had wiped out a coup of my grandparent's chickens I was proud of myself, as were they. I shall soon be getting a .223 with the express aim of controlling the foxes in my area. I don't wish to eradicate them, but to control their numbers.

Unfortunately the presenters on this program represent a growing number of people who are unwilling to take such a balanced view. They (and the vast majority of my fellow students at uni), represent a culture that deliberately remains ignorant of the natural world beyond their parks and back gardens, and that shortsightedly seeks to humanise a wild animal. I found the image of Brian May cuddling a fox cub, and the presenter's face melting as a result, highly nauseating. I also fail to see what they find cute about an animal that is increasingly living in squalor, surviving off the unnecessary waste of urban communities. These are undoubtedly people who also feel we should stop littering and despoiling our natural world, and therefore represent the large section of the population that wants to have its cake and eat it. Unfortunately that cake seems to be made out of self-righteousness.

What I feel we shouldn't do is become self-righteous in return. Knee-jerk reactions are self-destructive, and it seems we can only reason with these people, tone down the us and them situation. I feel thats the only way to win, or at least halt this argument. Some of the comments on here, for it is an open forum, would be seen by the anti-hunting/shooting lobby to be those of gun-toting murdering hoodlums (obviously not an opinion I share). We need to be aware that such comments will only add fuel to their fire.

I'm not sure this rant was was appropriate or necessary in the circumstances, so apologies, but I'm doing all I can to avoid writing an essay for my finals.

Edit: Crosshair reminded me that I hadn't said which sex of Fox I shot the other day. It was a healthy Vixen, which I was glad to note wasn't lactating, so presumably her cubs would have been relatively mature. It's clear that shooting a rearing Vixen would often be unintentional and I wasn't out to demonise those who do or have. I would personally prefer to avoid doing so, but in the real-world this would often be unavoidable and in the course of shooting foxes I'm almost certain that I will do so. I also don't rely on my upkeep on things which are spoiled by foxes, so it's not absolutely necessary for me, as it is with others, to maintain a constant check on their numbers. I would defend to the hilt those who do so, including those who shoot rearing vixens due to the future danger of the fox cubs.

Edited by Horrocks

Having only watched 1 episode of this (the first one) I'm surprised to read some peoples comments on Mark Evans as I always found his view's balanced and informative (most likely because he was a vet) his series inside nature's giants was great and he openly states he wants to be a farmer which usually means you are happy to deal with death etc....

Did he actually side with anyone either way?

Regards,

Gixer

To be honest I don't think it's a case of Hateing Foxs I shoot Pigeons and Rabbits and I don't hate them either, but Foxs can do a serious amount of damage if left on checked and that's the reason I shoot them any way don't know about the rest of you......

The sad thing is, everyone on this forum knows what a right pile of propaganda this program is for the antis.

But meanwhile up and down the country there are hundreds of thousands of families (im focusing on the children here) sitting down to watch the cute little foxes frollicking about on tv. And because of the media (adveritsing) driven environment we live in, a lot of these families will be forming their opinion on foxes based on the drivel they see on this program. This does'nt exactly bode well for the hunting enthusiast / pest controller of the future when the younger generation who have been brainwashed grow up to be politicians, doctors, police officers, Nosey neighbours with grudges etc etc.

Surely there would be plenty of material out there to put together a documentary focusing on how fox populations left unchecked cause severe damage to livestock and livelyhoods. Australia would be a great example. Oh and get some famous pro-hunting celeb to narrate like Harry Enfield, Anne Robinson or Vinnie Jones.

I'm sure Charlie Jacoby's doing his best, but I'd much rather see them interview a sheep/poultry farmer.

No media spin, just tell it how it is.

I didn't see the bit with Charlie Jacoby being interviewed. Is it true he used the footage of a dead pig in a pushchair?

Please tell me he didn't. :no:

He certainly did. I thought it was a little embarrassing and cringeworthy listening to him speak! I certainly wouldn't want him on my bench defending me!

Really?

Oh dear God. :no:

They must have laughed him out of the studio.

There's absolutely no need for gimmicks like that. There are perfectly good reasons for fox control, well documented and easily put across. I think Mr Jacoby would have done well to have passed his invitation on to someone like Robert Bucknell, or as I mentioned earlier, someone at the 'sharp end' of trying to raise and protect their livestock.