Neutral Eye Dominance

PAV331

Ok. I got the eye dots through from Guns'n'stuff. I went for the number 3s (the recommended level of transparency for neutral eye dominance). After sticking one on in the correct position to my yellow lenses and mounting the gun, it was clear that it wasn't blocking out my left eye enough as I was still seeing a ghost image of the barrel. I played around with them a bit and found that I needed three of them stuck over the top of each other to completely get rid of the double vision. Mounting in a mirror confirmed good right eye alignment and gun fit.

Went to the clay ground this morning with my fingers crossed for any sort of improvement. My best round of English skeet to date was 23 (and I only done that once). First round 25/25 cleared!! My heart was in my mouth on the last stand, never experienced having 5 carts left for it! Next was the sporting layout, same story there, vast improvement. Its amazing what some well placed little clear stickers can do. Confidence is through the roof. I cant recommend this product for eye dominance issues enough. I was shooting with scotch tape over the left eye for a bit before trying them, so I was used to the sight picture they gave. You will probably have to give them a few rounds to 'relearn' your lead if you transition straight from shooting normally with both eyes open and no patch. I can't see much through it, just very blurred images, but it lets a lot more light through than scotch tape so I don't get that tunnel vision feeling. Defo worth I go if you suffer from a similar problem, just bare in mind that you may need a stronger patch than the Website recommends (they aren't that opaque). The best 15 quid I've ever spent, over the moon!

I've been following this thread with interest as I've had exactly the same issue, which I've only just diagnosed. I've also tried the same kinds of fixes, but about 3 weeks ago settled on the fuzzy dots on the left lens of my shooting specs. Also, like yourself the effect was immediate. I also added a couple of shots onto my skeet score at the first attempt, finishing on a 24. I had previously had steady scores with sporting targets, but earlier in the year my scores suddenly dipped and became very erratic. The fuzzy dot has now given me back some consistency and I feel I'm back on the right track. The only thing I'd say is that it means you have to adapt the way you shoot certain types of targets. Basically with driven birds, overheads and teals that are in a straight line I now lose sight of the target as it disappears behind the barrels. This is taking some getting used to. One solution I have is to use shooting specs with flip up colour filters on top of normal prescription lenses, putting the fuzzy dot on the colour filters. So now for anything that the fuzzy dot doesn't work for I simply flip up the filters and carry on as before. :good:

Ive been watching this thread also. I have a left eye dominance issue with left to right crossers. Ive used shot spot now . Ive had to play around with bigger foils etc but it works . Ive also had my eyes tested for periphal vision issues, A very good optician can help wiith this . I'd also point out that with constant use of shot spot or similar you can retrain your eyes to work the way you want. As for that Fuzzy dot , go try different dots , a good manufacturer will have different grades of protection.

Its the action.

You have experienced a common problem

Static tests without a gun in place give only preliminary information.

Eye switching is common when a gun is mounted, particularly if the eye is too low and either looks at the back of the action, or is flat to the rib.

The eye should be at least 3mm high of the rib at the action.

You are either mounting the gun too low into the shoulder and dropping your head to the comb - the gun should arrive onto the shoulder and into the cheek more or less simultaneously without dropping the head; or the comb is inherently too low on the gun, in which case get a comb raising kit.

The eye too low behind the action will cause all sorts of problems, while an eye rather high off the comb only makes the gun shoot a little higher than design. A correct eye at 3mm over the rear of the rib should show a pattern 2/3rd above the bead, so the target is in full sight just over the bead, not aimed at through the bead. A comb set as much as 15mm high would only lift the pattern 12" at 20yds, or 18" at 30yds - both still within the size of a full correctly choked pattern of 30". High shooting guns give good visibility with minimum cross eye switching problems and very little adjustment in terms of sight pictures. If in doubt about the correct eye height, err on too high rather than too low.

Edited by clayman

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for late reply clayman

Its the action.

You have experienced a common problem

Static tests without a gun in place give only preliminary information.

Eye switching is common when a gun is mounted, particularly if the eye is too low and either looks at the back of the action, or is flat to the rib.

The eye should be at least 3mm high of the rib at the action.

You are either mounting the gun too low into the shoulder and dropping your head to the comb - the gun should arrive onto the shoulder and into the cheek more or less simultaneously without dropping the head; or the comb is inherently too low on the gun, in which case get a comb raising kit.

The eye too low behind the action will cause all sorts of problems, while an eye rather high off the comb only makes the gun shoot a little higher than design. A correct eye at 3mm over the rear of the rib should show a pattern 2/3rd above the bead, so the target is in full sight just over the bead, not aimed at through the bead. A comb set as much as 15mm high would only lift the pattern 12" at 20yds, or 18" at 30yds - both still within the size of a full correctly choked pattern of 30". High shooting guns give good visibility with minimum cross eye switching problems and very little adjustment in terms of sight pictures. If in doubt about the correct eye height, err on too high rather than too low.

Sorry for late reply. I understand the issues with having a low comb. Unfortunately my situation doesn't appear to be as easy to fix as that. I can see a small amount of rib before the bead, and have tried to raise the comb temporally to see if it has any difference, and still have issues with the left eye pulling over. I am still using the 'fizzy dot' on my glasses but have switched to one that is slightly more transparent as I've been having difficultly with almost completely blotting out the left eye. I have found that only being able to see out of my right I end up paying to much attention to the barrel as it takes up so much of my sight picture and so I end up trying to aim, not good. I can clearly see the barrel with the left eye now, it does cause me a bit of double vision, but I think this is normal to a degree, I guess I'll have to keep playing around until I find the best compromise.

I had a right handed client this week who presented with right eye dominance based on finger test, ring test, corner of the room test etc. but the second he mounts the gun, full left eye dominance with the bead smack under the left pupil. Good comb height, cast seems right but the left eye takes over 100% on a gun/eye dominance test.

Eye dominance is a bitch.

• 2 weeks later...

Go to the chemist and buy an eye patch. i have shot with one off and on for over 40 years. There is nothing to say you have to shoot using both eyes. This was confirmed to me many years ago by an instructor at Holland & Holland shooting school, why make it hard for yourself was his approach. .

At least use it as a temporary fix to see how you get on while you work on other things but I have found I am quite happy with it.

Edited by Vince Green