12 bore v 20 bore.

Cranfield

Deako,s comment, on the "which game gun" topic, set me thinking.

I,ve mentioned before, that I have owned a 20 bore and have recently considered buying another one.

The main attraction would be the lightness of the weapon.

I would want to shoot "standard" 20 bore loads of 24 gms (7/8ths of oz).

In the past I occasionally used heavier loads and found repeated shooting uncomfortable.

I,ve even had quite a bruised shoulder, due to the heavy load/light gun combination.

I currently shoot a 12 bore, usually with 30 gm (1 1/16th oz) loads.

Instinct and experience, tells me when a target is in range (doesn,t mean I,ll hit it :lol: ).

How much adjustment would I have to make (if any), to ensure clean kills ?

Assuming 1/4 choke and No6 shot.

Or will I need to vary my choke and shot size, for a 20 bore ?

Lets keep any opinions and comments friendly. :lol:

Well horses for courses I think.

I think for walked up shooting than a 20 gauge is equal to a 12bore in performance, but the lightness means its much easier to carry over the course of the day.

For driven shooting I guess its different. I've been on many days, this may come as a suprise or it may not, I don't know but I must have shot on about 40 driven days in the past few years with bags ranging from 100-200, with my 20 gauge and to be honest I see no reason to change. I've seen birds wounded with all types of gun, but there is no difference in my opinion. I would consider myself a pretty competent shot with a very decent average, and I have to say the number of times in a season when I hit a bird and it is a runner I can count on one hand. The load is plenty enough to bring even the biggest cock pheasant to the ground stone dead.

I think the shot placement is probably more important than the actual load you are firing with, because lets face it if the pheasant/partridge/duck whatever hits the main bulk of your pattern in its frontal area its not going to care whether its a 20 or a 12 bore. A lot of people assume I shoot a 12 bore, I guess I can take that as a complement. I know that I used to shoot a 28 bore and then I did get more runners, on the clay range, where I shot a lot with both guns the switch to 20 bore my score went up so considerably that I was frankly quite amazed. My scores on clays are very nice, although I confess I have not been for almost a year, due to the cost of doing it in central london!!

If I was to move up to a 12bore I reckon my clay score may go up by one or two birds a time but on pheasants and partridge no I don't think the 20 bore is any hindrance to my shooting capability whatso ever. Over decoys you have to be conservative yes perhaps a 12 bore would give me a few more yards but I know my limitations and make up for it by placing the pattern to get the killing field closer to me, if that doesn't help then I keep trying changes.

I know a lot of you, from the last time we had this think 20 bores are pants, but trust me there not, if you can't shoot the driven birds, I think perhaps it is you and not the gun which is at fault.

I shoot size 6 cartridges and 5s for rabbits and ducks but of course in NI you can still use lead for ducks I do not know what my chokes are I have examined the barrels but it does not appear to say what they are anywhere, I shall take it into a gunshop and rememeber to ask one of these days its a kestrel SBS but i'm thinking of going for the beretta i was talking about because my kestrel is quite a chunky and heavy 20 bore.

My cartridges are just standard gamebore, traditional game and are 28 grms in weight, which was what I had believed the standard weight (but obviously if you say its 24grms then maybe I am wrong, I've got no complaints with my cartridges and have shot heavily from the age of 12 with these cartridges and have to say that I have never had a sore shoulder, well I lie, after shooting about a hundred clays in a short space of time you do notice it but that is the same with any gun.

Edited by William

Sorry I added this after: "My cartridges are just standard gamebore, traditional game and are 28 grms in weight, which was what I had believed the standard weight (but obviously if you say its 24grms then maybe I am wrong, I've got no complaints with my cartridges and have shot heavily from the age of 12 with these cartridges and have to say that I have never had a sore shoulder, well I lie, after shooting about a hundred clays in a short space of time you do notice it. But I'm guessing your 20guage wouldn't be put through this. "

"I shoot size 6 cartridges and 5s for rabbits and ducks but of course in NI you can still use lead for ducks I do not know what my chokes are I have examined the barrels but it does not appear to say what they are anywhere, I shall take it into a gunshop and rememeber to ask one of these days its a kestrel SBS but i'm thinking of going for the beretta i was talking about because my kestrel is quite a chunky and heavy 20 bore."

I have both a 20 and a 12. If you are on target no difference same kill ratio.

If the gun is fitted properly then its going to work. :lol:

For clays I use pn the 20 bore 71/2 24 gram, for game I use 6s 28gram.

Walkin g around the 20 comes into its own, its either that or I am getting older and not as fit as I think I am :lol:

I use A 20. An investarm folding one.

Its the cheapest over and under I could find and it fits me perfectly. The gun had been cut down but I over came this by puting and extra large recoil pad on the end of the stock ,problem solved.

I use 28 grams every time I go out usally 6's and some times 5 for rooks and crows.

The price of ammo is the worst part but in the end it only works out a bit more price'y.

Everybody allways says "I suppose your moving on to a 12 soon" but im not sure I like my little 20. I once used a 12 bore and I couldn't hit a think I didn't like it at all the seam all big and chunky and I cant swing with them as well as a 20. Mine takes up to 3" magnum so Im going to try duck shooting some time I bet it kicks like hell but still my recoil pad will sort that out any way its all part of the fun Unless you fire before its in your arm properly! :lol:

Has anybody ever used an investarm 20 bore.

its an under and over and when broken it folds in half like an break barrel air rifle.

3" magnum.

i used one. it is mi mates and we went out shooting rabbits but he took his .223 for the fox. we was wandering up this hill side covered in sheep and nettles a bunny bolted n i got it. but its such a light and well manufactured gun for its price of £150

If anybody has used it what are your veiws on this gun?

Regards Scott

IV GOT ONE! :(

There cheap easy to clean and they fold.

Iv had it for a year now I shoot all sorts with it. I brought mine second hand and the stock had been cut down so I had to add a large recoil pad so it looks a little funny apart from that a nice little gun. :lol:

Want to know more look at the the 6'th to last topic. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

I have used a 16 bore now for 29 years, have a 12 aswell only co's of the diffrent cartridges loads are easy to get, at the moment i can get cartridges for my 16 at £2 a box from chris potter guns , I would never have a 12 and 20 only because of the chance of a mix up of cartridges, have seen the results at the game fair.

i use my 16 when ever i can over my 12 .

steve

• 3 years later...
How much are the carts for the 16bore and also how easy are they to get ahold of? These are the two struggling points IMO of the 16bore.

justcartridges do plenty of 16 bore carts ranging from saga (£140 a thou/ plastic wad) through to three crown paper case (£230 a thou). i find with 16 bore carts you get what you pay for, but for a vfm cartridge i'd get rotweils as a compromise of price over quality