Help! Barn owls!!

I've just set up a clay shoot on some waste land, at my place of work. I'm very lucky. They have paid for the first trap also. Everything is in place, I have attended cpsa course and I am now qual'd up to run a small shoot safely.

However, today I received a call from the site health and safety/ conservation and environment geeks and they have gone nuts about it. A bird lover has placed an owl box in a tree and now a barn owl has moved in.

Stop your shoot immediately. Before its even had one shot down range. I'm gutted.

Has anyone encountered this problem before? I'm sure that we (society) cannot let the nesting habits of birds prevent us from carrying on with sport?

Help please?

They will soon get used to the noise assuming you are not shooting at night and will just stay in the box during the day.

Keep the guns as far from the box as possible.

If you want to be sure call my old employers the Barn Owl Trust www.barnowltrust.org and they can give you sound advice as to what to do.

We are on the east of new forest. Im hoping to open up to invited public only vert shortly. (6 months) as there is not much about, and what is, is very very expensive. So I'd like to be able to bring people in for cheap shooting.

Thanks for the advice do far. I'll try the barn owl trust.

We are on the east of new forest. Im hoping to open up to invited public only vert shortly. (6 months) as there is not much about, and what is, is very very expensive. So I'd like to be able to bring people in for cheap shooting.

Thanks for the advice do far. I'll try the barn owl trust.

Just be aware that Dave Ramsden is very conservation orientated (particularly about birds) so stress the fact it is clay pigeon ONLY

Find out who placed the box there, if they dont have permission make them remove it !

Don't be bloody ridiculous.

Would you be happy to see a declining species go further under if a compromise can be reached instead.

Berk

Find out who placed the box there, if they dont have permission make them remove it !

More then likely these Owls will have young now, or they'll be very close to hatching...as highlighted above, it's a declining species, don't be foolish enough to listen to the above quote... :no:

Don't be bloody ridiculous.

Would you be happy to see a declining species go further under if a compromise can be reached instead.

Berk

This owl box has all the sign's of some do good anti shooting brigade (probably a BERK like yourself)!

If the OP and his company have invested time and money setting up a clay shoot only to be prevented by some BERK then i would be seeking legal advice for compensation of any investment.

I understand we should do all we can to promote wildlife such as owl's in decline but when some BERK enter's private land with the sole intention of disrupting the intended use of that land it become's an offence ! BERK'S who behave like this should be held accountable !

Edited by lumpy

are barn owls a declining species? or one making a good comeback at the moment?

I like to see them and I think I've seen more this year than ever however in this case I'd suggest the box has gone up entirely to try and stop you shooting. First thing I'd do is get a ladder and see if anything has actually been using it as lets face it its possible nothing has.

are barn owls a declining species? or one making a good comeback at the moment?

I like to see them and I think I've seen more this year than ever however in this case I'd suggest the box has gone up entirely to try and stop you shooting. First thing I'd do is get a ladder and see if anything has actually been using it as lets face it its possible nothing has.

Not allowed unless you hold a Natural England nest inspection licence. May be a single bird, but could be a nest site.

This owl box has all the sign's of some do good anti shooting brigade (probably a BERK like yourself)!

If the OP and his company have invested time and money setting up a clay shoot only to be prevented by some BERK then i would be seeking legal advice for compensation of any investment.

I understand we should do all we can to promote wildlife such as owl's in decline but when some BERK enter's private land with the sole intention of disrupting the intended use of that land it become's an offence ! BERK'S who behave like this should be held accountable !

I may be a BERK, but at least I know what I am talking about :yes:

A couple I use to shoot for had owl boxes all over there land and it didnt spook them in any way what so ever if I can find it I use to have a picture of a barn owl I took whilst pigeon shooting under a sitty tree it was about 10ft above me calm as anything.

Barn Owls are cracking birds.

A couple of seasons ago I had one fly past me on the marsh.

It came from behind, I didn't see it or hear it 'til it passed me, it was so close that I felt the air movement from its wings. Totally silent.

Lovely bird. :good:

And much tastier than any duck I shot that morning. ;) :o

Barn Owls are cracking birds.

A couple of seasons ago I had one fly past me on the marsh.

It came from behind, I didn't see it or hear it 'til it passed me, it was so close that I felt the air movement from its wings. Totally silent.

Lovely bird. :good:

And much tastier than any duck I shot that morning. ;) :o

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I may be a BERK, but at least I know what I am talking about :yes:

Clearly you're unaware of the trespass law :hmm: :hmm:

I find it strange that you would join a shooting forum only to argue the case that someone should be DENIED there shooting right's, not to mention that it was denied because of a criminal act :hmm: :hmm:

Edited by lumpy

There has been no mention of land access so far :good:

The OP CLEARLY states he has invested his time and his company (who own the land) have invested their money with the intention of running a clay shoot, I'm guessing neither of the them put the owl box there and whoever did done it without permisson :hmm:

It's not rocket science is it !! :no:

Clearly you're unaware of the trespass law :hmm: :hmm:

I find it strange that you would join a shooting forum only to argue the case that someone should be DENIED there shooting right's, not to mention that it was denied because of a criminal act :hmm: :hmm:

Clearly you are unaware of 'trespass law' as trespass is not a criminal act. It is a civil matter :rolleyes: