pre anti tamper

binman

Don't know if you've had many air rifles, but 'full power air rifle' can often mean 10 ft/lbs and I've picked up decent quality rifles that are only putting out 7 so with a little tinkering (tampering) you can get it into the mid 11s.

If anyones dumb enough to go over 12 they deserve what they get but you shouldn't be lambasted for asking a simple question.

if it's putting out 7 ft/lbs take it back to the shop. so you removed the void sticker :hmm:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if you've had many air rifles, but 'full power air rifle' can often mean 10 ft/lbs and I've picked up decent quality rifles that are only putting out 7 so with a little tinkering (tampering) you can get it into the mid 11s.

If anyones dumb enough to go over 12 they deserve what they get but you shouldn't be lambasted for asking a simple question.

that's right 11.9lbs is ok, but as soon as someone exceeds the arbitrary number that the government picked.

well what can I say.......

LOCK THEM UP AND THROW AWAY THE KEY :lol:

you are telling me you didn't know what anti tamper meant :hmm: :hmm:

why do some people have to be such ******, not every thing simple to some is the same to others/novice.

and he wasnt telling YOU anything, it was a post on a public forum.

i didnt know what anti tamper was, nor pre anti tamper as the op asked about,

if you cant be helpfull then why say anything at all, are you that bored, or just trying to get a rise out of him so you can call him a troll.

:no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no:

why do some people have to be such ******, not every thing simple to some is the same to others/novice.

and he wasnt telling YOU anything, it was a post on a public forum.

i didnt know what anti tamper was, nor pre anti tamper as the op asked about,

if you cant be helpfull then why say anything at all, are you that bored, or just trying to get a rise out of him so you can call him a troll.

:no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no:

some people get a rise out of it don't they :yes:

One problem with Anti Tamper, if you have a rifle that is running hot, it is a pain to adjust it!

You think it cannot happen, a user on the HL got in a whole heap of doo doo with a BSA Ultra that was clocked by the laboratory at 13.2 foot pounds, it was post anti tamper. So now he has a criminal fire arms record that has to be disclosed when he applies for jobs. The police force will not release it to get it adjusted and he has to get an FAC to get his rifle back, but with a firearms conviction it is a hell of a struggle!

don't touch it or you might get 5 years in prison for illegal firearms

It would not become an illegal firearm if over 12 ftlb, but a section 1 firearm that requires a firearm certificate. Possession of an unlicensed section 1 firearm is 12 months - not five years.

I'm not saying it should or shouldn't be the case, as a section 1 air rifle is much less of an issue than a 243 for example, but I believe the mandatory penalty is the same.

Just so you know, its only a fine tune screw, at most 14ft lbs can be achieved.

Spot on , I think if we all come out with these sort of answers, then it would probably put off people from adjusting them for the sake of 2ftlbs and risking 1 year in a 3x2.

Daz

Edit to say 1 year and not 5

Edited by deejay

its to stop people tampering with there air rifle,

it can also be called an anti prison,

if you want more power apply for a fac mate that way you can up your power a lot more as the pre anti tamper guns only increased the power by a few ft lb

colin

colin.

While understanding the law regarding power limits on airguns .... don't see why anyone who is in possession of Shotgun Certificate and gun cabinet should not be allowed have a Air rifle up to 30ft Lbs.

Just my opinion but, why is it that people jumped on this guy for just asking a simple question, what might seem logical to some may not be to others. It will make me think twice before asking any questions on here. Its a shame because 99% of people on here are very helpful!

Yeah, no need to jump on the bloke, it's not an easy subject to understand or work out and if you Google "anti tamper on air guns" well there's just nothing out there.

Valid question, great thread etc :good:

Sorry Mungler, but as the old saying goes; people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Found this post that you may remember:

"ordered a new car, didn't have the time or inclination to test drive it - I've seen them about and had an older version before which was bomb proof and so went for it.

The car is getting delivered next week and there's 5 in the Mungler household and I have just realised there's only 4 seats in the car.

I reckon that's my best yet"

:yp:

Sorry Mungler, but as the old saying goes; people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Found this post that you may remember:

"ordered a new car, didn't have the time or inclination to test drive it - I've seen them about and had an older version before which was bomb proof and so went for it.

The car is getting delivered next week and there's 5 in the Mungler household and I have just realised there's only 4 seats in the car.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wish I could be you. You're great :good:

Oh im far from great, i just try to treat people the way i would like etc etc. Especially fellow sportsmen!

If if bought an Anti-tamper airgun, and had a tamper around with it, would that not make it a..............eh, i dont know.

Airguns that claim to be anti-tamper must be telling porkies, as they have to have some way to adjust the power. They wouldnt just make the cylinder sealed, would they? There must be a way to tamper with it. Also, has there ever been proof of a crime lab, that will take someones airgun, use every type of pellet on the market so they can get a conviction? I think although its best to stay within the law, sometime people are to scared to take a dump in case they get a helicopter above their house.

Also, has there ever been proof of a crime lab, that will take someones airgun, use every type of pellet on the market so they can get a conviction?

There has been a case where the police contractors lab modified an air rifle in order to secure a conviction. If I remember correctly they removed the valve return spring as they found "it was too strong and was restricting the power".

also, if you are caught in possession of an anti-tamper rifle that is over power with any pellet the fact that the anti-tamper is intact is no defence in law. If the rifle power drifts upwards, as some do, you won't be able to adjust it down to stay legal - it has to go back to the factory. To cover this eventuality some manufacturers set the power too low, meaning that with the most accurate pellet ( not the most powerful )the power can be stupidly low.

Alas you will find that I can take it as well as dish it out.

If I couldn't I wouldn't have made that post would I?

Fine tuning an AAs410 up to 11.5+ ft lbs, using the 16grn AA pellets, is all good and well, BUT, if you then use a heavy pellet, (21.4grn Bisly Magnums for example) it will be over 12ft lbs !!

It's more complicated than that, the heavy pellet will move slower, it's more to do with pellet fit than weight. I used to use bis mags and then switched to JSB and the muzzle energy went from 11.3 to 11.8 (I then reduced the power back down to 11.3).

The problem is the law. The law states that if the rifle has the Potential to go over 12 foot pound energy then it is classed as a section 1! Problem is most air rifles have the potential, especially PCP rifles. They do not define potential. So if a Laboratory goes mad, adjusts everything and gets the power to over 12 foot pounds you are stuffed!

They do not test the rifle as it was taken with the ammunition you were using, so if you have set it to 11.5 using one pellet and they test it with another and it makes 12.1 foot pound energy you are in the brown smelly stuff.

The problem is the law. The law states that if the rifle has the Potential to go over 12 foot pound energy then it is classed as a section 1! Problem is most air rifles have the potential, especially PCP rifles. They do not define potential. So if a Laboratory goes mad, adjusts everything and gets the power to over 12 foot pounds you are stuffed!

They do not test the rifle as it was taken with the ammunition you were using, so if you have set it to 11.5 using one pellet and they test it with another and it makes 12.1 foot pound energy you are in the brown smelly stuff.

Ah, not so your honor! Tis not my fault its over 12ftlbs. When i use it, its not shot at that power. Prove it!! Only when your lab rats used it, thats when YOU and your bunch of clever people broke the law. Ive only used these pellets, so kiss my shiney behind!! Let the CPS try to get out of that one!

MM, Attorney at law! :lol:

Ah, not so your honor! Tis not my fault its over 12ftlbs. When i use it, its not shot at that power. Prove it!! Only when your lab rats used it, thats when YOU and your bunch of clever people broke the law. Ive only used these pellets, so kiss my shiney behind!! Let the CPS try to get out of that one!

Unfortunately for us the legal definition of "capable of exceeding 12 ftlb" has been tested in court and it brought a confiction to someone who dabbled in air rifle dabbling. :yes:

As Dave-G has pointed out, it doesn't matter what power you claim to be using a rifle at, the fact is that if it could exceed the limit then it's illegal unless it's on a FAC. Your argument is the same as having a FAC rifle at 30 ft lb's with an adjuster taking it down to 10 ft lb's, it's still capable of exceeding the limit.

You can be fairly sure that if a rifle is taken away and tested then they'll put a very large variety of pellets through it in order to find the maximum it can do, they will be looking as hard as they can to get it over the limit.