GetYour Gun Fitted To You

I have had my Browning 525 30 inch 12 bore since Christmas just gone and shoot good and bad with it, inconsistent mounting has been diagnosed.

After taking professional advice using a 'try gun' I shot far better and more comfortable, I have now had my length of stock reduced by half an inch to give the same dimension as the 'try gun'.

I will be trying my own gun this Wednesday under the watchful eye of my tutor to see how I go.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the gun fit is the most important thing i found and also my eye dominance,,i had a 1 inch recoil pad fitted on mine and it has made a great difference,,but confidence is a major key also,,good luck with your gun and dont forget practice makes perfect :good: :good:

I'm with Ed on this one. Until you are mounting the gun consistently, in the same place, there is no point in getting the gun altered.

It's a bit drastic lopping half an inch off a stock - devalues the gun and might have to be put back.

Gun fit ???

I can pick up most guns and adjust myself to shoot where i should :P

Unless your up there with the best don't bother ;)

Always gives me a giggle these posts :P

Learn to shoot with what you like be it high rib , straight rib or what ever but never blame the gun it's you :lol:

No point getting a gun fitted if you have an inconsistent mount.....

As he has had the gun fitted to him he will feel more confident and is likely to shoot and mount the gun better. Chisum the OP should Get in the habit of pushing the gun out away from his body and bringing it back into his shoulder. So many people drag the gun over their chest as they mount a gun, this will cause inconsistent mounting.

Edited by Actionpigeons

Gun fit ???

I can pick up most guns and adjust myself to shoot where i should :P

Unless your up there with the best don't bother ;)

Always gives me a giggle these posts :P

Learn to shoot with what you like be it high rib , straight rib or what ever but never blame the gun it's you :lol:

I would guess that 99% of shooters fit into the same category as magman, I know that I do.

However, I do know people that having taken the trouble to have a gun properly fitted and having lessons from a good Instructor, have definitely improved their shooting.

Its no coincidence that they are all mainly clay competition shooters, but it must also help the live quarry shooter, although the improvement in performance may be harder to measure.

I must agree with Gordon, Bakerboy, Bagsy, Timps, Mr Potter, and of course myself, as I know everything.

I also agree with Magman, all these "get your gun fitted" posts crease me up. Close enough really is good enough. Unless you cant see OVER the rib or its whacking you about just learn to shoot, you will fit your gun after a few rounds. There are countless examples of this being true.

But make sure it fits.... Snooooooooore.

If he can't mount the gun in the same place every time, how can it be accurately fitted?

Why do people only read half a post?

As he has had the gun fitted to him he will feel more confident and is likely to shoot and mount the gun better. Chisum the OP should Get in the habit of pushing the gun out away from his body and bringing it back into his shoulder. So many people drag the gun over their chest as they mount a gun, this will cause inconsistent mounting. is what i said,

meaning: being confident the gun fits him now and geting in the habbit of pushing the gun out away from his body and bringing it back into his shoulder. will maybe get him shooting better. ???

Edited by Actionpigeons

While you can adapt to shoot almost anything, having a gun that naturally comes into your shoulder and points where you are looking is far better than trying to squeeze round it. It perhaps matters less for those who pre-mount, but gun fit can make a large difference to your shooting.

I do agree though that the gun mount needs to be consistent, take the gun out of the cabinet every day and spend a few minutes pointing it and bringing it smoothly into your shoulder, you'll soon get there.

IMHO, if you shoot gun down, then having a properly fitted gun, that you simply lift up to your shoulder (and into your cheek), is the ideal....but this does take lots of practice to get it right each time.

If you seriously have to push the gun away from your chest and then pull it back into your shoulder, then you are creating a lot of unnecessary rotation of the aim point and risk of a different mount each time.....I speak from experience, because this is what I used to do and was taught by an ex Skeet chamption was wrong. After about a year of denial, I ended up selling my gun to my brother (it fits him better) and buying another - rather than paying for a fitting - and I now shoot much more instinctively (and much better)....both with clays and pheasants.

Everyone can make do....I did....but a properly fitting gun makes life much easier, and lets you concentrate only on the target, rather than the gun mount first, target second.

(Apologies if loads of people disagree....looks like I am in the minority on this one!)

Having a gun that fits you is vital for good shooting.

In order to have the gun fitted you would need to visit a shooting instructor who will determine what your measurements should be with a try gun.A gun fitted with a stock adjustable for length, cast drop, comb height, toe out, cast etc.

Part of the reason that your gun mount is inconsistent may be that your present gun is a very poor fit and you are having to contort yourself to see the correct sight picture. And since you don`t know what the correct sight picture is because your gun does`nt fit....it just gets worse.

A capable gun fitter will take one look at you and set the stock up pretty much where it should be in respect of the above dimensions. You will find that your mount immediately improves because you are not having to think about contorting yourself to fit the gun. You will start to hit more and your library of sight pictures of what you should be seeing when you hit targets will expand dramatically.

It is`nt cheap but buying a fitting session will be your best ever shooting investment.

I`m sorry to have to disagree with some of the other contributors who feel that fitting is unnecessary but I would ask you to consider why it is that the owner of every new bespoke English game gun has it fitted and why every successful competitive clay shooter also has their gun fitted?

And if you can shoot well with a gun that does`nt fit you which you have to contort yourself around, imagine how much better you`d shoot with a gun that actually fitted!

i would have thouht that a poor gun fit will contribute to poor/inconsistant gun mount,if a stock is too short,or comb too low the gun won't come to you,you will have to try and go to the gun as it were,therefore your mount won't be consitant.if you mount the gun in the correct place ,then get a gun fit I would think the consistant mount will be easier to achieve from that point on.

I fitted a jones Adj to my Auto ,which has been good as the more I shoot the more consistant my mount has become and I have(I think) a better understanding of whats going on and have made adjustments at a pattern plate to help.My scores have improved a little as I need to get better as a shot,but knowing the gun fits me better means its just down to me.