GetYour Gun Fitted To You

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the answer to that would be that you don`t get the gun fitted for length when wearing a tee shirt.

The gun fitter would normally insist that you wear clothing appropriate for the majority of your shooting.

Under the circumstances you describe a fitted gun would not fit correctly for some of the time.

However, an unfitted gun would not fit properly under ANY of those circumstances.

I said originally that having a gun that fits is vital for good shooting.If you`re one of the "mister averages", in terms of your body shape and eye dominance, for whom the majority of guns are manufactured, then your gun probably fits you well enough and may not need any alteration.

I`m so keen on fitting because I`m 6` 4" and no factory manufactured stock was ever going to fit me in a million years. Having my stocks altered to dimensions close to those arrived at after a fitting session has improved my shooting out of all recognition.

How do people manage when they have their gun fitted and then wear upper clothing that varies from just a polo shirt, to four layers of clothing, with the outer one being a padded waterproof coat ?

Different thickness recoil pads if you really need to change it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your replies of which only 'Actionpigeon' read my post properly.

I had the inconsistent mount because the stock was too long, I had persevered for a few months but always knew it was inevitable to have it fitted, I am delighted and much more consistently on target.

Now that hurdle is over I want to concentrate on 'reading the clays path of flight' and using LESS gun movement, not chasing clays so much which was my lesson today.

I know if I do it bit by bit I will get there.

I have shot for quite a while but mostly ground quarry.

why are so many people trying to dispel correct gun fitting on this forum, again? It is imoprtant, of course it is. An incorrectly fitted gun will not only be harder to shoot with but can cause more problems such as increased recoil. To a point it might not be as important with a new Beretta/Brownig (or anything that is straight cast with standard dimensions) but a lot of second hand guns will have been altered. Slight alterations can make a lot of difference. Some guns we can pick up and mount comfortably, some we cant. A gun fit will determine this. And quite obviously an inconsistent mount can be caused be an incorrectly fitted gun. If a stock is too long or too short, how do you expect to mount in the correct place everytime, without adjusting head etc and loosing those vital seconds.

why are so many people trying to dispel correct gun fitting on this forum, again?

I don't think many are against it, just it's the be all and end all side of it.

The problem with this forum is it’s always the first response you get when asking about a gun, 10 posts one after another saying make sure it fits but they never extrapolate on what make sure it fits means.

The trouble with gun fit is if you go to 10 different gunsmiths you will get 10 different opinions & at least one Jones adjuster thrown in the mix, it is not as complicated or as involved as some would have you believe.

If you know what you want as a shooter it is easy to do yourself with a bit of tape, adjustable comb or a simple alteration by telling someone exactly what you want.

I like my gun set up a particular way but I don’t suddenly become incapable of hitting a thing when I pick up a gun that doesn’t match those dimensions to the mm.

I started a thread a while back asking people’s views on this, do you change your mount to take into consideration how the gun fits you or do you alter the gun fit to take into consideration how you mount?

My own view is gun fit is a preference rather than a necessity, but if you are happier and more confident with the gun then it’s going to help that way if nothing else.

I am not against anyone who alters their gun for personal preference, I have with mine, but I am a bit sceptical of someone who says they will not hit any clays unless it fits (a change in mount or stance will cure that).

:good:

Thank you all for your replies of which only 'Actionpigeon' read my post properly.

I had the inconsistent mount because the stock was too long, I had persevered for a few months but always knew it was inevitable to have it fitted, I am delighted and much more consistently on target.

Now that hurdle is over I want to concentrate on 'reading the clays path of flight' and using LESS gun movement, not chasing clays so much which was my lesson today.

I know if I do it bit by bit I will get there.

I have shot for quite a while but mostly ground quarry.

You`re on the right track,don`t be put off by the naysayers!I shot with `standard` guns for years

`til I bought a gun with a lot more cast than previously.It was a revelation ! You just had to

look at the target and swing and it was hit(most of the time!!!!!)

Ever since I`ve been able to dry mount a gun and know if it fits me.(there have been quite a few!).

I can shoot well with `standard` stocked guns but it`s a lot easier with the one`s that really shoot

where you`re looking!

Good shooting!

My Browning 525 is currently being adjusted to fit me. My length of pull is 15 & 3/8", which is significantly different to the original stock length length, and I could not mount the gun consistently without this alteration being made. I also need 3/8" cast off, otherwise I shoot up the left hand side of overhead birds; I either miss or wing them. If the standard dimensions of a gun don't suit you, then you will struggle to achieve your ptential. It doesn't cost much to have a gun, and at least you can't blame your kit when you're having an off day.

Edited by Bear68

the gun fit is the most important thing i found and also my eye dominance,,i had a 1 inch recoil pad fitted on mine and it has made a great difference,,but confidence is a major key also,,good luck with your gun and dont forget practice makes perfect :good: :good:

well after reading all the experts views ,,my mind has not been changed :no: if your gun doesn,t fit then how can you mount it properly all the time :hmm: :hmm: i can use all sorts of shotguns but i do not shoot as consistent as i do with my own which has been fitted to suit me,,sorry all you experts but gun fit is important as i first said but it is not the be all and end all :lol: :lol: :yes: :yes:

• 1 month later...
Guest cookoff013

Having a gun that fits you is vital for good shooting.

In order to have the gun fitted you would need to visit a shooting instructor who will determine what your measurements should be with a try gun.A gun fitted with a stock adjustable for length, cast drop, comb height, toe out, cast etc.

Part of the reason that your gun mount is inconsistent may be that your present gun is a very poor fit and you are having to contort yourself to see the correct sight picture. And since you don`t know what the correct sight picture is because your gun does`nt fit....it just gets worse.

A capable gun fitter will take one look at you and set the stock up pretty much where it should be in respect of the above dimensions. You will find that your mount immediately improves because you are not having to think about contorting yourself to fit the gun. You will start to hit more and your library of sight pictures of what you should be seeing when you hit targets will expand dramatically.

It is`nt cheap but buying a fitting session will be your best ever shooting investment.

I`m sorry to have to disagree with some of the other contributors who feel that fitting is unnecessary but I would ask you to consider why it is that the owner of every new bespoke English game gun has it fitted and why every successful competitive clay shooter also has their gun fitted?

And if you can shoot well with a gun that does`nt fit you which you have to contort yourself around, imagine how much better you`d shoot with a gun that actually fitted!

good post, maybe the guys stock was too long and caused him to have inconsistent mount. i can shoot ok with most guns, with my short sxs, i have to have a pad on it or i shoot like a lemon.

the OP is improving his technique by eliminating a variable. now his gun fits he can concentrate on shooting !

If you have need to push the gun away from you when mounting, it's usually because the stock is too long, ie, the heel is dragging. If you then have to pull it back into your shoulder, it's because it's too short. It can't be both so it's odds on you're pushing it too far. Either way the extra length is causing the problem and ruining any chance of a correct mount. You should be able to stand still which includes the head and mount the gun which comes smoothly into the shoulder, pulling the trigger as it does so without altering your stance.

All this pushing and pulling sounds like Tescos on a saturday afternoon.

I collected my Browning on Friday - I can now see straight down the top of the rib (previously looking into the side), and the gun comes into my shoulder without any pushing out or pulling in. Some people might be lucky enough to be able to use guns 'off the peg', but unfortunately I'm not one of them.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but here goes.

I had a Miroku for 20+ years and shot well with it. Unfortunately it just about fell to bits and time came for a replacement. After much scouring I found what I thought was an exact replacement (same make/model etc but hardly used). Low and behold my shooting became inconsistent with many bird hit but not killed cleanly. It then got worse where I started missing birds which had previously been dead certs. Confidence dropped, loads of questioning myself, trying new things and my natural shooting went to rat ****!

Eventually sought help and the pattern plates showed me consistently shooting low and left of where I thought I was shooting. I invested £160 in an adjustable comb, re-adjusted the gun and bingo! Best money I've ever spent. With age, weight change, dental work etc, your gun mount can change significantly. It's worth just checking every now and then on a pattern plate as that could be your simple answer and an adjustable comb can be altered as you change for the life of the gun.

While everyone has an opinion.................

If you have size 10 feet you wouldnt buy a pair of size 8 boots would you?

Get the gun fitted. The gun ought to come to you, you shouldn't go to it. 80% of my business is from people who think they have a shooting problem when actually they have a gunfit problem. Like it doesn't.

Thinking about, no, don't get your gun fitted. It's good for business.

its not often that i post on this forum but looking at the comments on this topic made me realise how many ill informed sportsman are around.

it amazes me how many people spend vast amounts of money on shotguns and fail to do the basics,So i will give this advice for free, book a gun fitting lesson at a good shooting ground like H&H west london £120, take the measurments with you when you buy your new shotgun and have it fitted, cost around £80, you will never regret it, i agree that good gun mount is essential, but you will never reach your full potential trying to fit yourself to the gun, once fitted you forget about looking down barrels you simply look at the target and the barrels are in line, looked after a good shotgun will last a lifetime so £200 is cheap for a good fitting gun,

YARMITE you may be in the minority but you are bang on target,

The First thing i always do when i get into a strange car is adjust the seat, steering wheel height, and rear view mirror, job done , and i drive better for it.

poontang you do the same without even thinking about it, shame its not as easy with shotguns.

Can't do that with the van though. It just doesn't have the adjustment needed, therefore I put the seat in the best position possible for me.

It's not a perfect fit... but close enough is good enough.

Can't do that with the van though. It just doesn't have the adjustment needed, therefore I put the seat in the best position possible for me.

Do you race the van? Did you buy the van? Even choose the van? If you had chosen it, would you not have chosen the one that did fit? In fact your employer has a duty to ensure your safety at work, this includes the long term effects of compromised workspaces with limited adjustment you should contact occupational health straight away and have the van changed to one with suitable seating..... You only have one spine and when it's damaged from sitting with comprised posture you'll be off sick or suing them.......new/different van is a much cheaper option long term

I dont think anyone has said a perfect fit is vital.

What most are saying, if a new shooter is choosing between 2 guns, one fits quite well, the other doesn't, then pick the gun that fits best.

None of us can shoot to our full potential with an ill fitting gun.

Edited by chrispti

I dont think anyone has said a perfect fit is vital.

What most are saying, if a new shooter is choosing between 2 guns, one fits quite well, the other doesn't, then pick the gun that fits best.

None of us can shoot to our full potential with an ill fitting gun.

That's exactly my point. For a beginner close enough is good enough.

Of course it would be crazy to buy something which is way to long/short in the stock or has massive amounts of cast.

It's ok saying spend £200 and you've got a well fitted gun for life, but it simply isn't true. People's bodies change over time, as does the clothing they wear depending on the weather conditions they shoot in.

An adjustable recoil pad and comb will solve nearly all gun fit problems. In fact I think I'll write a book about it. :good:

I don't see how anyone, even the respected experts who posted early on this thread, can comment on whether a man needs to spend money on getting his gun fitted if they have no idea of the size/shape of that man. A shooter of average build is bound to say it makes little difference, whereas outsize man finds differently.

All ambi shotguns leave me looking at the side of the rib, I don't know if it's because I'm wider than average or if it's because of my smashed up collar bone, or both, but when I bought a semi that was adjustable it was a revelation.

I think this topic has to be decided by the shooter himself, if he goes to a shop and picks up many guns and one feels good he may need a fitted gun. If he picks up many guns and most feel good then he probably doesn't need fitting.

We're all different.

<LOB=ON> "I'm not" </LOB>