Last of the spring barley drillings

sittytree

The last of the barley to get drilled on my permissions went in last week and having watched it a couple of times noticed a few birds starting to show interest. So had a go the other day, with a good strong wind blowing and birds flighting in to a line of Oaks at the top of the field I set up, wind at my back and in shot of the trees. The pigeons came in small bunches all afternoon, if not into the decoys then up into the tree beside me. Picked up at 4:30pm with 107 in the bag, a good day to finish the drillings.

post-26541-0-15182400-1336851941.jpg

Fantastic bag :good: Its interesting to see the different farming methods round the country, pretty much all of ours down here is winter drilled, so the shooting dries up very quickly :yes: The barley is 8 inches tall and the wheat over a foot on the farms I do :yes:

Edited by turbo33

Fantastic bag :good: Its interesting to see the different farming methods round the country, pretty much all of ours down here is winter drilled, so the shooting dries up very quickly :yes: The barley is 8 inches tall and the wheat over a foot on the farms I do :yes:

Mostly winter barley and wheat up here too, but there is a fair bit of spring barley gets put in. The first farms sow out at the beginning of March and the last ones, (the wetter fields on the higher ground) get drilled usually in the first two weeks of May, so gives a fairly long spring to go at them. Hardly any Oilseed Rape up here though, probably only a dozen or so fields over the whole of my permissions....and thats covering a big area!