blade tech

Now everyone will know I am no expert here, but I foolishly bought one of those and they aint up to much. I think the trick is being 100% straight up and down and not pressing too hard (if you do it takes off a load of metal).

Might be useful for putting something on a totally blunt blade with a rounded off edge but certainly won't get a blade very sharp. I got hold of one of these at the recommendation of bipolar, and I am over the moon with it.

I am slowly learning how to sharpen with just a normal stone and getting somewhere :lol:

You want a bench grinder to sharpen your spades anyway :lol::lol::good:

is this one of the sharpeners with the two crossed stones?

If so it might be slightly like my old mans gerber one, i found with this (and this sounds bloody obvious... but you never know) that you could only put an edge on it if you drew it, if you also pushed it then it would just blunten what you had achived.

I was thinking about getting a decent knife sharpener for the kitchen - I normally use bench grinder but that's in the shed.

I have looked at the triange sharpmaker as recommended by Pin and Bipolar, but it seems a bit too crazy for me - it has an instructional DVD? I am not sure if I have that much time to invest in a knife sharpener.

What's the recommendation for the best sharpener?

I was thinking about getting a decent knife sharpener for the kitchen - I normally use bench grinder but that's in the shed.

I have looked at the triange sharpmaker as recommended by Pin and Bipolar, but it seems a bit too crazy for me - it has an instructional DVD? I am not sure if I have that much time to invest in a knife sharpener.

What's the recommendation for the best sharpener?

The one you mention looks mad, but it couldn't be simpler. It is basically 2 synthetic stones one medium and one fine, the action is the same draw the blade backwards and down. Nothing to it, it just keeps the angle for you.

The results are amazing (for someone who can't sharpen a knife) - within 10 minutes of it arriving at work I had sharpened a penknife from nothing to being able to shave with it :good:

I had a good look at different sharpening systems at the CLA and of course Bladtech were there in force. Talking to the salesman, he explained that you must angle you blade within the stones to match the angle, then draw the blade through whilst making sure to keep the knife positioned exactly in the middle.

I decided not to bother with this as you would no doubt need some time and patience to master not messing your blade up. Also, its seemed to take far too much metal from the blade. Probably useful as an in the pocket in the field, just in case, sharpener, but not much more.

I chose to go with the Lansky Deluxe sharpening system.

I have just purchased one of these bladetech sharpener thingy-ma-bobs

my sharpening skills are not brilliant :good: , so if any one can provide simple instructions i would be most grateful.

M. ROBSON, I am particularly interested as to your method

Thank you

:lol:

Mike

well guys, i decided to go for what m.robson told me, (cheers m8) i put the sharpener in a clamp againts the shed (havent got a vice) and i dragged the knife through on an angel with abit of pressure, and i can now say im well happy with the result, my two opinals and two pen knifes a VERY sharp indeed, not taking hairs of my arm but there sharp :good:

cheers again m8 :lol:

is this one of the sharpeners with the two crossed stones?

If so it might be slightly like my old mans gerber one, i found with this (and this sounds bloody obvious... but you never know) that you could only put an edge on it if you drew it, if you also pushed it then it would just blunten what you had achived.

Right on - I bought one at a game fair last year & they were doing a demonstration. All you do is put it on the edge of a surface & draw the blade through - don't push it back through, you only need to do it about four times to get a good edge. :no:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

King Ratcatcher,

I've watched the video clip and that isn't how I use it, but I'm not saying that way wouldn't work.

I hold the Bladetec in a vice so the v is at the top. I then draw the knife blade towards me only, not both ways. Make sure that the knife blade is at a right angle (verticle) to the bladetec all of the time.

Cheers,

Mark

I use a diamond stone and a steel to sharpen my knifes.

Deer man,

That is the only way to sharpen knives. If you can't shave with a knife then it's not sharp. I used to use an oil stone and a steel but now i use a Diamond stone instead. Same results just a little bit quicker. :P

Thank you Henry D for that link. That is the only way to get a good edge and keep it. Two of my brother in laws are slaughtermen and they taught me how to sharpen a knife. I have never had a dull blade since.

I have copied and pasted the method from Henry D's link. Please try it. You will not be running out to buy a new knife every year i can assure you that. Nor using that gadget every 5 mins.

How to sharpen a knife properly:

Stone:

Running a knife a couple of times in any direction across a stone is not what I call sharpening a knife for a quality cutting edge. True, it will make the knife sharp- for a while at least.

Here is how you do it right.

Make sure the stone is well lubricated with oil (oil stone) or well soaked (water stone). Add oil/ water when the stone becomes dry. Set the knife at about a 20 to 25 degree angle on the stone. With one hand hold the knife handle and lay the finger tips of the other hand gently onto the knife blade. From the tip to the back push the knife blade forward and diagonally the entire length of the stone. Move like if you would try to shave a thin slice of the stone off, but do not put to much pressure on it and try to keep your hand stiff to prevent "hand rolling". Do not pull the knife back on the stone, lift it off and repeat the movement again- do this about ten times and then turn the knife over to the other side and repeat the same motion another ten times. Then check the knife for sharpness. If it still is dull repeat until the knife is sharp.

King Ratcatcher,

I've watched the video clip and that isn't how I use it, but I'm not saying that way wouldn't work.

I hold the Bladetec in a vice so the v is at the top. I then draw the knife blade towards me only, not both ways. Make sure that the knife blade is at a right angle (verticle) to the bladetec all of the time.

Cheers,

Mark

cheers m8, how many times do you pull the blade through :)