Fixed choke

bigman

Well iv pattened my new to me shotgun an as thought the chokes are very tight compared to my friends 1/4 an 1/2 it seems mine are full an 3/4 as stamped on the barrels , when i brought the gun im sure i was told it was 1/4 3/4 but never mind

as its a fixed choke im wondering what my options are ? maybe another barrel to swap out with the others its a winchestor 101 xtr pigeon

cheers

Edited by bigman

What are you shooting with it?

If you want to you can get the chokes reamed out to open them to whatever you desire, personally I'm of the view that the choke hardly ever matters as long as you put the shot in the right place almost any choke will do the job.

bit of clay and pigeon shooting ,

Tighter chokes will give you less diameter spread but will give you a longer shot string.

For what you are doing 1/2 choke is enough, I would have a gunsmith ease the chokes out somewhat. The alternatives are either get Teague to fit a set on their multichokes, or a set of used barrels for it. Guntrader may help with the latter, its what I did. Additional barrel only sets do not need to be entered onto your ticket according to my FEO at my last renewal. They do for firearms.

A

While I admit to preferring more open chokes , when I see the pattern plates of different chokes in the magazines I wonder what the fuss is about to the average shooter . Cant see a great deal of difference between them when you imagine a bird in the middle of the pattern .

just shot it.

people **** about with chokes too much.

i find fibre wad spread a bit more than plastic(i.e open faster)

I have not read this and it might just be a mental thing.

I always get a slightly tighter pattern with plastic but not major.

I also recently had a set of barrels moved from half and full to 1/4 and 3/8 for £30 so not too expensive. Regarding changing chokes I left my skeet chokes in the other week on a round of sporting and posted one of my best scores so its all pesh really.

Edited by Freakmode

I always get a slightly tighter pattern with plastic but not major.

I also recently had a set of barrels moved from half and full to 1/4 and 3/8 for £30 so not too expensive. Regarding changing chokes I left my skeet chokes in the other week on a round of sporting and posted one of my best scores so its all pesh really.

are skeet chokes tight then bud ?

gordon r

is right there are opened out /wide spread/

well not much choke but still some, True cylinder is the least choke i.e NONE all choke is a constriction at the muzzle to less than the bore diameter.

Edited by HDAV