UK Laws on Shooting Feral Pigeons?

Joey Squab

Hi there,

What is the law on shooting Pigions with an air pistol that are a pest in your gardens.

Also what low power pistol would anyone recomend for doing this.

Low power would be a must as it would be close range work and I dont wish to be shooting holes in anything other than the pigeons.

Buy a 12ft/lbs airifle, you'll get much more accuracy which is essentail for shooting pigeons. You'll get a much better flight path, for just shooting pigeons a .177 is sufficient. Buy a decent scope as well...

You mention punching holes in things? Only shoot the pigeons if they are on the ground in your garden because a new law has been passed which means any pellet which leaves your land could land you with a heavy fine.

Hope to help. There are no restrictions on shooting feral pigeons, but I would warn you not to "bait" them into your garden as a recent case when a guy did this to starlings resulted in him losing his case. But if you "happen" to leave out some feed on the bird feeder and then nail the ferals there should be no problems, this is just to get them on the ground you see if they are in the trees/roofs.

All the best and welcome to pigeonwatch

Joey

All animals classified as "pests" are allowed to be shot under general licence issued by the government.

To fulfill this criteria (so you are not outside the law) you must, if challenged, prove they are a pest. Recent court cases have challenged such things like using larsen traps in gardens, shooting starlings etc so you must be able to substantiate any claim the feral pigeons are actually a pest.

It is well to remember the old addage "No animal is a pest! only its location makes it a pest"

Sorry to contradict you william, the law is not new, its been around since the legislation became statute law. In all other respects you are right.

Sorry to contradict you william, the law is not new, its been around since the legislation became statute law.  In all other respects you are right.

It was my belief that while the law has not changed in the sense it was never legal to fire a pellet outside one's own boundary. The new legislation which is in place now specifically punishes with a very substantial fine any incedents that occur, sorry if I did not, (reading over what I wrote again and its not clear), specify this.

Thanks for bringing it up and your "its only its location which makes it a pest" is a good adage to hold on to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...