.22 WMR Strikes Again!

Frenchieboy

I got a call asking me if I could deal with a fox that had been taking chickens on a regular basis. Because I did not know the chap (Even though I had been recommended by a neighbouring farmer) I decided that the best thing to do was to go and assess the situation at tea time. As it turned out the chap was a very down to earth smallholder/poultry keeper - He keeps rare breeds of chickens! The land was very safe to shoot with plenty of good, safe back stops and he pointed out where the fox had been appearing from each evening at about 8:30 on a regular basis. I decided that the best plan of action was to get there at about 7:45 and steak a dead chicken out near to where the fox was seen to be entering in a position where I could lay up in the long grass downwind of the "target area"!

I stayed there till about 8:45 when it started to rain quite hard so I retired to one of his old sheds where I could still just about see the target area and made myself comfortable on an old office chair where I could just about see through the window. The light was starting to go so I was just about ready to call it an evening and a "no show" when this cheeky little lady appeared from totally the opposite direction and calmly walked straight across in front of the shed not more than 6 feet away from me. Because I was not expecting her I did not have the rifle pointing throught the window so I tried to be as carefull as possible but she spotted me but rather than run hell for leather up the field she just trotted up at an angle of about 45 degrees to me.

By the time I got her in my crosshairs she was about 30 yards away so I I had no option but to take a body shot. The shot (A 40g Federal Hollow Point) entered her just behind the rib cage and travelled up towards her opposite shoulder dropping her on the spot.

The chap was delighted and said that he was confident that this was the fox that had been visiting regularly and had had a few of his prize chickens. On inspection it was a vixen which judging by her condition and her teeth is from one of last years litters.

Sorry that the photo is poor quality, my small pocket camera's batteries were nearly flat.

The overall result is great as it has got me another two permissions!

Here's a photo of the little thief!

post-17172-0-14275900-1337033116.jpg

Edited by Frenchieboy

whats the diference between a 22lr or 22wmr

The .22 Magnum hurts more if you try to catch it between your teeth as quite a few foxes will testify to! :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, the .22 Magnum is quite a lot more powerful than the.22LR and carried more speed with a heavier bullet head causing much more trauma to whatever they hit!

Edited by Frenchieboy