.17HMR And NV

grasshopper

After mulling it over for quite some time,i finally decided that a.17HMR would be a usefull

addition,coupled with the Archer,for day and night time vermin control.

So after some PMS with Luckyshot(cheers Ryan for the impartial advice :good: ) i rang Northallerton Shooting Shop and ordered .17HMR CZ Thumbhole Laminate Varmint with 16" barrel and an MTC Viper 4x16x50 scope.

As they are dealers for Archer NVs they also had the bush to attach the bayonet dsa too.

Rang them to say i was on my way and it was all set up ready for me when i got there.

All was in stock and service was 1st rate..so much so that i also bought a pair of Binos...as

you do (ALWAYS OVERSPEND IN SHOOTING SHOPS :rolleyes: )

SS100504.jpg

After only 6 shots,turned the turret wrong way once,i was in the bull and a further few

after a clean,had me satisfied with the grouping.

Checked the traps and waited for dark to set the NV.

Eye relief sorted,i placed a 1" circular black sticker on the side of an old silage bale

that was wrapped in light green plastic..perfect for the NV,and promptly hit it at 77 good paces.

Time for a mooch :yp: ,all the sheep in next field were making a racket and huddling

together, :look: turned out to be 3 Badger cubs playing.Nice to see so watched them for a while.

As i was passing the last 3 single bales,i hear something move,2 full grown Badgers

on the other side about 3 yds away and they head around the bales towards me :o so i make a

noise.

1 moves off but the other looks my way and starts grumping,again i speak but as it's only

5 yds away and still grumpin,i shout a little louder..this time from ontop of the bale :blush::lol: and away they both go..phew!

Soon got onto a Rabbit and duly dropped it,only 30yds away,then another at 50yds.

SS100509.jpg

I snapped my shooting sticks the night before,so used the 27" bipod

SS100506.jpg

Worked ok but will have get a smaller 9" to 13" if any of you want to sell 1,pm me please!

Got another 2 on my way back to the motor,1 of which was a head shot at just over 100yds,

took a while find this as i didn't believe it was as far out.

Well impressed with the accuracy of this little rifle and with the view through the Viper

scope once the Archer is attached.Easily as good as my Leupold although it's more fussy

about the parallax,but that may be because i'm shooting at closer distances.

Picked out a Hare at 150yds and it was as clear as you would want..PS didn't shoot the

Hare.

All in all.i'm pleased i bought this and can see me using it to good effect :good:

its a very handy combo the archer is very well suited to the HMR, mine has accounted for rather a lot the main factor is not having to worry as much about range as with a .22lr

had an evening a while back where I did two mags as fast as I could without a miss and just cleared the field the wheat was just the right length for them not to run.

its a very handy combo the archer is very well suited to the HMR, mine has accounted for rather a lot the main factor is not having to worry as much about range as with a .22lr

had an evening a while back where I did two mags as fast as I could without a miss and just cleared the field the wheat was just the right length for them not to run.

That was the thinking behind it..still have a .22 and .22 250 set up to drop it straight onto,so should cover most situations :yp:

the only useful thing to have is another scope adaptor then its completely interchangeable. I tend to just have the .243 in the truck and if a fox is spotted while rabbiting just swap over.

Totally agree,i have an adapter on all 3 rifles now,.22 and .22 250 are dedicated night rifles so permanently set up and ready to go when needed :good:

Edited by grasshopper

Very nice Geoff, they certainly do the job. Glad you got sorted out. :good:

P3110007.jpg

You inspired me mate,think i may need to get the slip on butt extension as they are a short compact rifle.

I only went to the next field over from where i took you to show you the Archer..and as you know there isn't a lot kicking around.

Looking forward to getting where there's plenty :yp:

You inspired me mate,think i may need to get the slip on butt extension as they are a short compact rifle.

I only went to the next field over from where i took you to show you the Archer..and as you know there isn't a lot kicking around.

Looking forward to getting where there's plenty :yp:

Well if you fancy a night out om my ground you are more than welcome mate, one thing Im not short of is rabbits. :lol: Im in the middle of moving house so if you can wait a few weeks drop me a pm and we can go and give your HMR a good work out. :lol:

This was last week during the day.

P5120080.jpg

So you can imagine what the night will be like :yes:

Edited by Luckyshot

Well if you fancy a night out om my ground you are more than welcome mate, one thing Im not short of is rabbits. :lol: Im in the middle of moving house so if you can wait a few weeks drop me a pm and we can go and give your HMR a good work out. :lol:

This was last week during the day.

P5120080.jpg

So you can imagine what the night will be like :yes:

Will take you up on that very kind offer mate :good:

Looks good mate :yes: will pay for its self in no time :good:

Can i ask what made you want an HMR :P

Not really sure Rob :hmm:

SS100289.jpg

SS100298.jpg

SS100300.jpg

Was a good nite eh? :good:

Would you be interested in a bipod swap ?

I have a 9-13" notched leg Deben bipod hardly used as I want one I can use sitting rather than laying 'prone'

Is it a swivel? maybe interested.

Well done mate.I also love my CZ 455 Thumbhole Varmint!

Me too :D

I had been mulling over buying 1 for a while,but inconsistent groupings with some i'd shot had put me off.Always having to clean them,even when out seemed the norm?

It appeared that you lads with the new 455's where getting better results,so this prompted me to plunge..have to say,it has been the easiest to set up,even with the NV,only about 10 shots and then head shooting Rabbits out to 100yds.

CZ 455 Thumbhole Varmint laminates get my recommendation :good: