Arrgh "driven" clays!!

throdgrain

As the topic says. Driven clays, right fast over your head. I hate them! It comes to the point sometimes where Im looking at 40 sporting clays instead of 50, becasue Im guaranteed a zero on the driven stand :no:

Very odd, but I cant seem to get in front of them.

Anyone else hate them too?

love them

fav. target

Lifting your head to see if you have broken the bird is something i have done before and it has ruined my scores. Thankfully i think i am past that now.

Get someone to spot for you, you could be stopping the gun etc etc and you need them to tell you (but make it someone who knows what they are doing :no: )

For most driven targets you need to make sure you have a good stance, move your arms not your body, don't lift your head and cover the target with the barrels and pull the trigger, keep the gun moving and you won't have much trouble.

If the pump was lighter than the gun you have trouble with it could be you swinging too slowly, would have to see you shoot it to know how you were missing. Most auto's are lighter and more "flickable" which lends itself to fast driven targets (if swing speed was the problem).

Ah, as far as that goes, well the Benelli has a shorter forend Ive noticed, which would slow my swing. Ive tried holding the gun as far forward as I can, and it does make a difference.

Having said that, Im probably a bit wierd but I love my Mossberg, so still use that a lot, perticularly now ive fixed the jamming. (The answer there by the way was more lubrication and stop using cheap carts. The Blue Diamond Im using at the moment have only done one jam in 200 rounds, which I find more or less acceptable)

seems that the stand has already beaten you before you get there

PMA

Positive Mental Attitude

that and lots of practice :lol::lol:

seen a few people that struggle with them shoot sideways on to good effect, don't know if that would be the answer though :no::D

maybe i should practice what i preach with rabbits lol

throdgrain, you are not alone!! they are a real bogey target for me, ive been getting slightly better lately, as ive been concentrating 100% when i get to them. but i still go onto a driven stand with absolutely no confidence whatsoever of doing well. i still blame them for me missing out on the gold at this years busas :lol::D

still... with a bit more practise :no:

As with real driven birds, the secret is to take them as soon as they are in range, well out in front.

So many shooters leave the clay too late and end up almost bending over backwards.

spot on Cranfield, dont let the incoming speed fool you, shoot it out in front, your shot spread is nill in close and the apparent speed now becomes critical.

steady mount, small movement and shoot out in front, or irratic swing massive movement in close, your choice.

Martin

Had a lesson today along with the wife who hated driven.

The instructor started us off back in the stand and told / showed us how to hit them.

Then moved closer & closer & closer till they were real quick but the secret was to mount and swing smooth,

just getting faster & faster as we got closer.

Must say if you are having probs with a particuler type of bird seek help of an instructor. For the first time I have had a lesson today and it was an eye opener of basic sense. After struggling to hit the driven and then getting on to them I was feeling good, till the instructor showed us how by following the line we should be able to hit them, he then did 3 from the hip :no:

I cant hit driven clays or pheasant the 'proper' way if they are coming directly over me. So i stand side on and take them as a left to right bird. Theres a name for that but i cant remember what it is :no:

isn't that called "Dangerous" a driven shoot many guns and you turn sideways ?? maybe i misunderstood ?

C.E.

its like shooting station 8 skeet field right, take 7 high then move to 8 high same bird different perception in speed

Martin

I cant hit driven clays or pheasant the 'proper' way if they are coming directly over me. So i stand side on and take them as a left to right bird. Theres a name for that but i cant remember what it is :lol:

isn't that called "Dangerous" a driven shoot many guns and you turn sideways ?? maybe i misunderstood ?

It's not dangerous, the gun moves in the same arc, you just take the bird as a crosser not a driven. This is a good skill to aquire if you regularly shoot sporting in woods where driven birds are crossing openings in the canopy and you can't take them out in front.

I cant hit driven clays or pheasant the 'proper' way if they are coming directly over me. So i stand side on and take them as a left to right bird. Theres a name for that but i cant remember what it is :lol:

It's not dangerous, the gun moves in the same arc, you just take the bird as a crosser not a driven. This is a good skill to aquire if you regularly shoot sporting in woods where driven birds are crossing openings in the canopy and you can't take them out in front.

i understand the point of taking it as a crosser, i have taken birds in the field this way before, and it can be a good skill to learn, but my point was about a driven shoot the bird is incoming and going over your head, if you turn sideways how do you think the guy would feel next to you :P

most of the sporting,if not all, shoots i have attended have a station with a roof or ceiling this is to stop the gun coming over your head, you cannot take the bird as a crosser, you will twist up like a pretzel.

as coutry est posted

"Must say if you are having probs with a particuler type of bird seek help of an instructor. For the first time I have had a lesson today and it was an eye opener of basic sense. After struggling to hit the driven and then getting on to them I was feeling good, till the instructor showed us how by following the line we should be able to hit them, he then did 3 from the hip"

a driven target can be shot well as its suposed to be..... or from the hip like some of us showoffs :no: .

Martin

I used to be fine until I tried a pheasant shoot. After missing a few, it has scrambled my brain for "driven".

I have a complete lock up on them now. I have been so convinced that I am not in front that I am now pulling through too much. "Look at it, pull through, when it's covered up pull the trigger", really works, if I can just get myself to do it. I think, like other people have said, that it is now mental attitude and I have lost the stand before I have started.

This probably doen't help, but your not alone, we need that PMA

Cheers

Malcolm

Trick I was taught years ago for driven clays - dont aim at the bird, keep it just to one side of the barrels that way you can see the lead your giving it & not guessing and let the pattern sort it out.

Drivens are one of my favourites :good: