Food recommendations?

adam f

I've had had Meg my 6 month old cocker puppy on Royal Canin puppy vet food since I got her as she didn't like the big crunchy biscuits in the Wagg food her litter was on. the RC food is small smartie sized discs which are fairly soft. However it's £38 per 14kg and as she's a bit bigger now and has a bit of raw meat mixed in I was thinking of trying something like Skinners or Chudleys etc - ie a working dog food. But I don't really want massive rock hard biscuits just yet.

Any ideas as I don't want to be buying loads of bags to try!

i dont like dried foods at all. all dogs seem to do better on fresh foods and the diet often needs a bit of tailoring to the dog in question. Currently i am using cheap chickens, rice and veg a lot. Its important to get the mix correct then there are no important bits missing and there are guides available in printed form and on the net, again balance it to the dog in question alergies and intollerances exist in some dogs

i dont like dried foods at all. all dogs seem to do better on fresh foods and the diet often needs a bit of tailoring to the dog in question. Currently i am using cheap chickens, rice and veg a lot. Its important to get the mix correct then there are no important bits missing and there are guides available in printed form and on the net, again balance it to the dog in question alergies and intollerances exist in some dogs

Do dogs eat much veg in the wild?

Do dogs eat much veg in the wild?

Wild dogs will eat the stomach contents of their prey, which will include vegetable matter, so the answer to your question is yes.

There are many people who use the BARF diet for their dogs (bones and raw food), but many more who use all in one complete mixes for ease & convenience. My cocker has been on Skinners field & trial for years now. At six months old, yours should do well off it too. I would say the maintenance mix out of season, & if you work the dog hard through the season, try the duck / salmon & rice mix as the protein content is a bit higher. All in all, the Skinners is a good product & reasonably priced.

ATB.

Wild dogs will eat the stomach contents of their prey, which will include vegetable matter, so the answer to your question is yes.

There are many people who use the BARF diet for their dogs (bones and raw food), but many more who use all in one complete mixes for ease & convenience. My cocker has been on Skinners field & trial for years now. At six months old, yours should do well off it too. I would say the maintenance mix out of season, & if you work the dog hard through the season, try the duck / salmon & rice mix as the protein content is a bit higher. All in all, the Skinners is a good product & reasonably priced.

ATB.

Wild cats and dogs will shake almost all the contents out of the stomach ,what we call the tripe, of a kill. A wolf kill site is littered with blood and the greeny/yellow stomach contents. Do dogs eat much veg in the wild?

• 2 weeks later...

My two are on skinners field and trial mainly the salmon and rice one. My 18month collie has been on it for about 6 months and just put my springer pup on it who is now 7 months. Both love it and have plenty of energy good coats etc. For the pup just pour some boiling water over it and let it cool that will soften it up and also makes it smell. They were on burns dog food which was about twice the price, when i looked at the bags the ingredients were exactly the same so switched.

Wild cats and dogs will shake almost all the contents out of the stomach ,what we call the tripe, of a kill. A wolf kill site is littered with blood and the greeny/yellow stomach contents. Do dogs eat much veg in the wild?

actually your incorrect, Dogs tend to eat the contents inside the tripe first and are obnivourous, Cats are true carnivours. dogs will also eat various plants and fruit they find also the green dung of grazing animals

The dog food industry is big business and we`re all led to believe that we get what we pay for and more expensive is better. To a point this is true, but alot of the time we`re paying way over the odds for our dog food. My sister in law is a vet and she has 5 dogs 3 of which are working dogs. I put this question to her a few years back regarding the best dog food on the market...For both value and nutritional content........The answer took be by surprise....It was Chappie!!!!!! :yes: !!!.Its low in fat but high in protein. Plus its fish based so has lots of oils in it which is obviously good for the dog. It has the added benifet of being easy to digest, so no more tummy upsets!!. I now feed mine on Chappie complete dried and mix it with half a tin of Chappie meat...My dogs coats have never been so shiny, and they love it....plus its cheap as chips!!!! :good:

The dog food industry is big business and we`re all led to believe that we get what we pay for and more expensive is better. To a point this is true, but alot of the time we`re paying way over the odds for our dog food. My sister in law is a vet and she has 5 dogs 3 of which are working dogs. I put this question to her a few years back regarding the best dog food on the market...For both value and nutritional content........The answer took be by surprise....It was Chappie!!!!!! :yes: !!!.Its low in fat but high in protein. Plus its fish based so has lots of oils in it which is obviously good for the dog. It has the added benifet of being easy to digest, so no more tummy upsets!!. I now feed mine on Chappie complete dried and mix it with half a tin of Chappie meat...My dogs coats have never been so shiny, and they love it....plus its cheap as chips!!!! :good:

Tinned food is expensive water if you realy check it out :good:

All 9 of mine get more or less a raw food diet. 8 are on raw green tripe, cooked pasta, uncooked white cabbage and carrots plus some Fold Hill meal. I have one who seems to do better with the tripe replaced by raw minced Chicken and bone. I reckon I can feed them all for well under £100 a month, which I suspect is a lot less than tinned or complete food would cost. I don't like the complete stuff; it's more for the owners benefit than the dog's in my opinion and you need to keep an eye on what goes into the tinned stuff. I know exactly what goes into my dogs by feeding this way. It might sound a bit of an effort but you soon get a regime established. I have a dedicated dog food 'fridge and freezer so there's no conflict with the partner over tripe smells in the human food 'fridge/freezer.

Hector, I take my hat off to you mate. It does seem alot of effort,and I agree with you about the conveinience of complete dog foods being for the owners benefit. But fair play to you taking the time to prepare your dogs food. :good: