airguns to be banned in scotland

storme37

I have just spoken to Manchester police fire arms department and they say that i am totally correct in what i have said if you are going to or from a gun shop the gun has to be in a bag. Same if you are on foot to or from your shoot the gun has to be in a gun bag.

Thats why if you buy a gun from a gun shop and you have no bag they always put the gun in a thick black plastic sleeved bag.

To and from a gun shop or to and from a your shoot is a perfectly good enough reason to be on the street with an air rifle as long it is in a gun bag and not on show. Then its legal.

And thats from GMP FAC Department.

Why do some people have to comment on things without finding out what the facts are. ??????

don't believe everything the police tell you about the 'law' :lol::no:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just spoken to Manchester police fire arms department and they say that i am totally correct in what i have said if you are going to or from a gun shop the gun has to be in a bag. Same if you are on foot to or from your shoot the gun has to be in a gun bag.

Thats why if you buy a gun from a gun shop and you have no bag they always put the gun in a thick black plastic sleeved bag.

To and from a gun shop or to and from a your shoot is a perfectly good enough reason to be on the street with an air rifle as long it is in a gun bag and not on show. Then its legal.

And thats from GMP FAC Department.

Why do some people have to comment on things without finding out what the facts are. ??????

Could you please point to the law that says it has to be in a bag/covered in some way?

Just because the police say something does not make true or accurate in any way, they frequently don't have a clue about the law.

I have been shooting for over 30 years and going to a gun shop or shoot its been the law that a gun must be in bag and not on show. For has long as i can remember. Phone your own fire arms department or you look it up or ask a gun shop and they will all say the same thing.

:bye2::bye2::bye2:

No, any gunshop or police, or indeed any shooter will tell you that a gun should be in a slip, as indeed it should be from a common sense angle, but that does not make it law.

If there is a law saying that it should be in a slip, please quote it or provide a link to it, don't take the view that 'because everyone says' or 'the police say' it must be true.

:shout::mad: Greater Manchester police fire arms department say thats the law and i know thats the law and has been for years. Its fire arms on show on the street were the law comes in. Instead of ranting on like an record do your own research and get a life :smartass: . Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

:shout::mad: Greater Manchester police fire arms department say thats the law and i know thats the law and has been for years. Its fire arms on show on the street were the law comes in. Instead of ranting on like an record do your own research and get a life :smartass: .

mate, no one was having a go - and the 'research' was done for you by HW682 :oops:

No, any gunshop or police, or indeed any shooter will tell you that a gun should be in a slip, as indeed it should be from a common sense angle, but that does not make it law.

If there is a law saying that it should be in a slip, please quote it or provide a link to it, don't take the view that 'because everyone says' or 'the police say' it must be true.

:stupid:

• 3 weeks later...

This is complete **** it could be done with a shotgun or bazooka it does not matter or achieve anything buy banning in Scotland Its a tragic accident yes but air rifle community is not to blame guns are and we're designed to kill what do you expect

This is complete **** it could be done with a shotgun or bazooka it does not matter or achieve anything buy banning in Scotland Its a tragic accident yes but air rifle community is not to blame guns are and we're designed to kill what do you expect

hmmmm. "we are designed to kill"

may want to rethink that bit of the sentence?

well to be honest comeing from cornwall (and proud of it) now in ireland the hoops i had to jump through for an air gun were stupid forms competencey cert & id had shot for 40yrs before, passport, gun cabinet, doctors, 2 reffs and all for above. But if only a shotgun only trigger lock needed not cabinet crazy aparently because of length of barrel DUUUUUUU.

you seen the price of them? well I hope you fellow celts never have to have a liscence god help you?

Guest cookoff013

lets work through a few quotes from the article

"Andrew, two, was killed with a shot to the head by junkie thug Mark Bonini in 2005."

maybe ban all junkies ?

"Andy added: “There is no need for someone living in a housing scheme to have an air rifle in their home."

howsing scheme? what the hell does that have to do with airgun ownership?

"They just cause pain and misery and there is no legitimate reason for someone to be walking around carrying a weapon of this sort."

there actually is a legitimate reason for walking the streets with one of these. to get to the shooting club (covered of course).

"Scotland will be the trailblazer with this law. Once this has been passed, mark my words, England and Wales will follow suit."

great, another application ! suppose i`d have to get a dr to sign a licence. i can see that going down well for the millions of airgun owners. i can see thousands of airgun owners being let down by a licencing system.

There comes a point where just making more and more restrictive laws just creates more and more criminals. Death and injury will still happen. If folk are really concerned for others well fare then ban cars and bikes. It is illegal to kill period!

Bow hunting was banned, has it stopped it from happening? I doubt it!

Bring it on I say, then all the do gooders will shut up and we can just get about our buisness quietly and all the chitter chatter from a divided shooting fraternity will shut up :rolleyes:

U.

The people they are targeting are career criminals, junkies and people who habitually disregard the law the people who don't actually give a **** how if they change the law these people will all of a sudden be law abiding citizens AYE RIGHT. Lip service to junkies and drug dealers I did a piece on air rifles for STV and I was on the Leslie Riddoch program on Radio Scotland when the news broke of the child dying. My views are still the same it is an enforcement problem the laws are there and robust THEY ARE NOT BEING ENFORCED. :yp: