airguns to be banned in scotland

storme37

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree,

A well placed campaign that doesn't just use the "we have a right" motto can be organised by one person.

Clearly it will always be a sticking point that any pro campaign will be an easy target when compared to the loss of life. However, as sensible individuals we must stand up against disproportionate laws.

What are peoples thoughts on a petition?

I can't see how you could police it? To many air guns out there?

Simple, they'll do like they did with pistols, intorduce an excessive mandatory prison sentence for anyone* who doesn't license/hand them in by a certain date <_<

*anyone in the law abiding community that is. If you're a scroat willing to grass on another scrote you'll be let off with a slap on the wrist - if the 5 year 'mandatory' pistol prison sentence is anything to go by at least :rolleyes:

i have made my views public on this before, but for as long as morons have air rifles and keep generating bad press through acts of stupidity, we will all suffer. IMHO there is no point in keeping our (genuine, responsible gun owners) heads in the sand - because at some point legislation is going to happen anyway. it would be better to be involved in the process, and come out with some 'positives' than fight a tide which is being fed by morons mis-using air rifles.

not a week passes when someones cat /dog/child gets shot by a moron with an air rifle.

the stance that we just dont agree with them being licenced will fall on deaf ears when this continues - some form of control will happen, and should happen to keep them out of the hands of morons/neds/chavs to preserve them for people who give a ****.

yes, there are thousands in circulation, but an 'absolute offence' would allow airguns to be quickly taken from idiots as and when they come into contact with the police (which wont take long).

the argument that people will just acquire them to commit these crimes does not hold water for me, its typically low level morons mis-behaving because they have access to airguns, they are not likley to seek one out just to do this.

edit: my ideal middle ground would be (as an idea):

1) anyone with a sgc should get FAC air as a right (no land requirements)

2) entry level sub 12ftlb should be a very basic type licence / check (no land or references reqd)

all of the shooting organisations should put concerted effort into the promoting this process to minimise the number of people put off by it.

1 & 2 have got to be better than a draconian outright ban other than s1 FAC status - that really would kill it.

Edited by pegasus bridge

As we all know what happened was very wrong and we also know that other types of legaly owned guns have been used to kill and main innocent people for what ever reasons.

To call all owners of air weapons to register & licence there weapons is as has been mentioned going to be a logistical nightmare for the police.

Although the Scottish government will be putting through a law I think that we all need to see what the context of this new law will be, how it will be implemented and how it will affect us all.

With regard to the comments about Scottish Independence, in my opinion Scotland will never become independent.

We may end up having a better control of matters of laws etc and not have to rely on decisions made for us in Westminster but a totally independent Scotland is just someone’s wet dream.

In the future I may be proved wrong who knows ??

BBL

(made, born, and live in Scotland but proud to be British)

fair point but I thought they were going to ban them altogether??

Thats the long term goal but they've learnt that the need a horrific event to get that through (e.g. Dunblane/Hungerford) This is the old gradual strangulation technique, so they're wanting to get them all licensed.

I have just read the clip again and also some of the comments that have been posted on the news paper (if you can call the DR a news paper)

I have highlighted a quote fron the artical

"We couldn’t believe it when the minister told us they were going to ban air weapons from the streets"

Air wepons on the street?? If that is all the hipe is about then I am sure you will all agree with this type of ban.

I may be wrong but I could not see anywhere the mention of a total ban of air wepons.

BBL

I have just read the clip again and also some of the comments that have been posted on the news paper (if you can call the DR a news paper)

I have highlighted a quote fron the artical

"We couldn’t believe it when the minister told us they were going to ban air weapons from the streets"

Air wepons on the street?? If that is all the hipe is about then I am sure you will all agree with this type of ban.

I may be wrong but I could not see anywhere the mention of a total ban of air wepons.

BBL

I don't know if i'm reading your post right :hmm: Are you saying there's nothing to worry about because they're only going to ban airguns on/from 'the street' :oops:

I don't know if i'm reading your post right :hmm: Are you saying there's nothing to worry about because they're only going to ban airguns on/from 'the street' :oops:

At this moment in time yes I do not think there is anything to worry about if you have an air wepon and it is used for target sport or vermin control and you have the required permission etc.

Walking around the streets and other public places with one deserves what it gets.

I have tried to find some more information about what has been proposed in the bill regarding the control of fire arms & air wepons without any great success. I might have been looking in the wrong places. As I am sure you know these things are full of legal speak and for the punter on the street makes a hard read. so I gave up. There are a few comments in the various newspapers but no one can say exactly what is going to happen.

I think that saying there is going to be a complete ban on air wepons is a bit of a knee jerk reaction. Lets just wait and see what actually comes out of it all. As previously posted by others it will be a nightmare to police.

I am sure that the legal guys at SACS & BASC and the likes will be looking at this closley.

BBL

Its illegal to have and air weapon on the street if it is not in a bag.

Simple relay if you have just bought a gun from a gun shop and are going back to your car it has to be in a bag. I you are walking to your shoot it has to be in a bag and unloaded of course. If plod see you with a Rifle in a gun bag you might get asked a few questions but you are legal. So pellets and mags in your pocket gun in a bag over your shoulder and your all legal :good: . Happy. :shoot:

i have made my views public on this before, but for as long as morons have air rifles and keep generating bad press through acts of stupidity, we will all suffer. IMHO there is no point in keeping our (genuine, responsible gun owners) heads in the sand - because at some point legislation is going to happen anyway. it would be better to be involved in the process, and come out with some 'positives' than fight a tide which is being fed by morons mis-using air rifles.

I completely agree, you have put my thoughts in a much more constructive manner.

the only way we can protect what is important to us is to take it seriously. One thing our friends over the pond are very good at is standing up for their firearms rights. Rightly or wrongly (lets not get into right to carry) they have done a marvellous job of protecting what they feel is their right. Perhaps we can take something from the fact that they will relentlessly stand up and protect their right / views even when faced with a tragic event.

The tactic must be to represent the shooting community in a professional and well informed manner. Our only line can not be that we "don't like" it as the counter argument is an easier pill for the wider community to swallow.

As with a CBT a very basic license for an air rifle could be applied for by post and a straight forward process. Would this realy be a bad thing?.

The pressure on our community will only grow greater and our job will to be remain level headed and work with the people who make the laws.

I've always thought facebook was for spying on people you used to know :blush: . But campaigns do seem to hold some ground on there so perhaps its time to put one together. I'll post a link this evening and send emails to the relevant industry press.

Its illegal to have and air weapon on the street if it is not in a bag.

Simple relay if you have just bought a gun from a gun shop and are going back to your car it has to be in a bag. I you are walking to your shoot it has to be in a bag and unloaded of course. If plod see you with a Rifle in a gun bag you might get asked a few questions but you are legal. So pellets and mags in your pocket gun in a bag over your shoulder and your all legal :good: . Happy. :shoot:

You might want to read the up to date laws (1968 firearms Act 1968 section 19) :good:

:shout: Well go on then :smartass: how do you take an air Rifle to or from a gun shop or to and from a shoot if your on foot and be legal. beam it up scotty ??????

I kind of hoped that by suggesting you read it yourself, you might be less likley to get all defensive and/or argumentative.

19 Carrying firearm in a public place.E+W+S.A person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place

(a)a loaded shot gun, .

(b )an air weapon (whether loaded or not), .

(c )any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or .

(d )an imitation firearm.]

carrying a gun to or from gunshop would be covered by reasonable excuse.

The point I was making is that there is no mention of covered. It is no more legal to carry a covered gun (without good reason) than it an uncovered one. You gave the impression that as long as it is covered it is ok.

I have just spoken to Manchester police fire arms department and they say that i am totally correct in what i have said if you are going to or from a gun shop the gun has to be in a bag. Same if you are on foot to or from your shoot the gun has to be in a gun bag.

Thats why if you buy a gun from a gun shop and you have no bag they always put the gun in a thick black plastic sleeved bag.

To and from a gun shop or to and from a your shoot is a perfectly good enough reason to be on the street with an air rifle as long it is in a gun bag and not on show. Then its legal.

And thats from GMP FAC Department.

Why do some people have to comment on things without finding out what the facts are. ??????