Grange gun company, redditch. Any info?

bicykillgaz

Hi guys,

Just picked up 2 bolt action .410's ones an anschutz and the other is made by the grange gun company of redditch, obviously I know of anschutz but never heard of the other so thought I'd ask on here. Has anyone heard of them or anyone own one?

Cheers Gary

• 8 years later...

In 1962 I bought a second hand Grange Gun Company bolt action .410 from Blands near Trafalgar Square. I was told by the salesman that it was a "good quality London made gun". I used this gun for (very) rough shooting for two years and found it lacked "poke". I kept it in good condition and took it back to Blands to part exchange it for a Greener GP 12 bore. The same salesman who had sold me the gun and had described it as "good quality" examined it and said "I could never figure out how a good company would make such a poor gun". However when I reminded him that he had sold me the gun and what he had said about it then, he mellowed a little and gave me a reasonable p/e price for it.

7 hours ago, Potty42 said:

In 1962 I bought a second hand Grange Gun Company bolt action .410 from Blands near Trafalgar Square. I was told by the salesman that it was a "good quality London made gun". I used this gun for (very) rough shooting for two years and found it lacked "poke". I kept it in good condition and took it back to Blands to part exchange it for a Greener GP 12 bore. The same salesman who had sold me the gun and had described it as "good quality" examined it and said "I could never figure out how a good company would make such a poor gun". However when I reminded him that he had sold me the gun and what he had said about it then, he mellowed a little and gave me a reasonable p/e price for it.

That`s salesmen for you.

Reminds me of a sign in the window of a secondhand shop in Whitstable that read -:

`We buy rubbish and sell antiques`

On 20/05/2012 at 15:13, pickerup said:

I shoot on a farm close to where the grange was, but i'm sure they packed up years ago.

will check and get back to you.

Eight years and still waiting bicykillgaz ?

• 2 months later...
On 15/08/2020 at 16:23, Old Boggy said:

That`s salesmen for you.

Reminds me of a sign in the window of a secondhand shop in Whitstable that read -:

`We buy rubbish and sell antiques`

Eight years and still waiting bicykillgaz ?

sorry about the delay, grange gun company packed up years ago, their place of work was right next to the prison at redditch worcestshire which was known as 

hewell grange the name of the prison was changed years ago they also had a clay shoot there.

and a game shoot in the woods at the back of the prison,  also at the back of the prison is  hereford and worcester clay club.

ive just found your message

14 hours ago, pickerup said:

sorry about the delay, grange gun company packed up years ago, their place of work was right next to the prison at redditch worcestshire which was known as 

hewell grange the name of the prison was changed years ago they also had a clay shoot there.

and a game shoot in the woods at the back of the prison,  also at the back of the prison is  hereford and worcester clay club.

ive just found your message

Do you remember any of the gunsmiths working there, only there’s a guy fairly local to me who I use, worked there. 

OB

2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Do you remember any of the gunsmiths working there, only there’s a guy fairly local to me who I use, worked there. 

OB

No sorry had a job done on a gun there years ago and then tried it out on there clays when i picked it up

atb  p/u.

3 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

OB

I started clay shooting there in the early 90s. I remember being barked at by the gruff owner a lot! The gunsmith was a very nice chap who would always take time to explain things to a boy interested in guns. He was also a knife maker and was sadly killed in an RTA on his motorbike. 

I always assumed, given the geographical proximity, that the grange .410 was a Webley with cosmetic changes.

The company was not in existence for that long, only founded in 1958, i would find it hard to believe they built their own guns from scratch or that they had the resources to do so.

That sort of work could have been farmed out so easily and so cheaply to the Birmingham Gun Trade in those days

19 hours ago, Vince Green said:

I always assumed, given the geographical proximity, that the grange .410 was a Webley with cosmetic changes.

The company was not in existence for that long, only founded in 1958, i would find it hard to believe they built their own guns from scratch or that they had the resources to do so.

That sort of work could have been farmed out so easily and so cheaply to the Birmingham Gun Trade in those days

I doubt that even in the early 60's anyone could have made a competitively priced 410 bolt action . W & S had a large factory so could cope but any small outfit would be buying in from the continent . As did many established "gunmakers ".

The stocker at the Grange back in the early 1980s, put a new stock on my Army& Navy 16 gauge, made to measure and also managed to bend the stock on my early 50s BSA 12 gauge(Grandfathers) to the same configuration. Top man. They also prepped and had the 16 gauge Nitro Proofed for me as it was priginal black powder.  Great location in the middle of nowhere at the back of the prison with it's own clay facilty outside the back door.  Good traditional gunsmiths.