Rooks

Hello all I've been out the last few weeks hitting the crows and rooks for the farmer and had a few good result best day was 38 but lately they seem to fly in but high then ****** off so I was going to try a owl decoy to see if it works what else can I do to get em to decoy better my. Hide is always very well built and that's not the problem thanks chaps

All the best

They are just clever critters. They soon understand the score if you hit them regularly. I use to be able to walk into a field with a .22lr and shoot them because they would take up and drop down at 70yrds safe distance, for a shotgun user. then they realised the extra range of the .22 and dropped down at 120 - 150 yrds. Safe from a .22, but not from the 17hmr. Now they have sussed the 17 and they *****r off to the next farm. To get them now I have to get under a thick bush and snipe them. Still getting the odd one or two and that still keeps them on the move. :yes:

Edited by Fisheruk

I believe that rooks are one of the wisest birds of all the "vermin species" - They have such keen eyesight and they learn very quickly! They soon wise up if they are getting hit over decoys with a shotgun. Because of that I try not to decoy and shoot rooks on the same farm more often that once a fortnight!

• 2 weeks later...