am i doing something wrong?

houlsby

i think i can quite honestly say, iv been to over 100 farms now, and not had a single yes.

im going after work everynight for 2 months, im working in leeds, so have worked both sides of the m62 and m18.

quick quote is " hi, im looking for some local land to shoot on. wondered if you had anyware i might be able to shot or could point me in the right direction?"

usual reply is, no sorry we shoot our own.. or sorry its under an estate/keeper/syndicate. then i leave my card and go to the next place..

does everyone do the same? iv been as far as ripon and heard the same story.. just wondered if im doing something wrong?! iv done the door knocking for years and always been able to get the land i want, this year just seems to be impossible for some reason?

btw people, im not trying to be greedy and hog land, im simply wanting a bit of land for a rimfire/.22hornet

Edited by houlsby

Maybe keep a look out for any land getting hammered by pigeons, rabbits, chicken farms etc that might be visited by Charlie. Then say to the farmer / landowner "hello, noticed the bit of land here is being hit by pigeons etc, have you got anyone shooting it currently?"

Hi bud

I haven't been shooting that long really but I am now shooting on a good few permissions.

I always started with shooting crows on all of them because I am yet to meet a farmer that doesn't want them off the land.

Once I started getting decent bags the farmers start talking and word gets round fairly quickly and I soon moved on to geese, rabbits, and fox ect

Try keeping an eye out for a ploughed field with lots of corvids on it, and then ask the farmer if he'd like you to clear them for him.

It worked for me anyway mate.

I know it can be disheartening but you'l get there. :good:

Good luck

Hedd

hi mate,

i don,t know what line of business youre in, but sometimes it can help you to meet potential clients .

i am a manager for a builders merchants so get to talk to quite a lot of people regularly, i have secured permissions on some very varied land, one of mine is a 28 acre back garden !!! i was recomended by someone who comes into work to the owner and we have now become good freinds, also try local golf courses i have secured 3 around my area, one is probably one of the biggest in the area ( 18 holer) i had asked the green keeper 3 times to shoot it and everytime he said no, but then i got talking to the club president who turned round and asked me to shoot it-- giving me sole rights over it

don,t give up-- keep trying and you,ll get there in the end, i had my ticket opened up after 14 months as my F.E.O was sick on my putting land request checks in,

shaun

artschool, suppose you have to prove your honesty being a scouser n all?..:P

im an electrician, and my cards are for my own company.. so they sometimes ask about alarms, cctv i even had a guy ask me to do his workshop the other week. still had nowt tho! :/

Edited by houlsby

artschool, suppose you have to prove your honesty being a scouser n all?..:P

im an electrician, and my cards are for my own company.. so they sometimes ask about alarms, cctv i even had a guy ask me to do his workshop the other week. still had nowt tho! :/

Well if you take the work and do a good job you stand much more chance of getting some shooting permission. Once word gets around you could do really well, I am yet to see a farm yard without disastrous electrics. PErhaps you should start asking about electrics and when they say no they might offer some shooting!

• 3 weeks later...

farmers are very juveis people,, period i do parlour matting and i

get 90% of my work by just calling in (door knocking realy) and

beleave me it takes a lot of hart to keep going when you call in

to maybe 50to60 farms and no work, but been doing it for 15 years

now and its gets easyer..whats the odds of calling in to 50to60 farms

then the next day calling into just 3 and takeing 3 jobs..

thats just how it go"s and its the same for shooting ..

i have a 173 cutumers in somerset alone with just to farms haveing

5,000 acers,,and work all over from scotland

to ni.ireland and there the same everywere (they love names and refrinces)

once you get one youl get more

its a good job iv got the gift of the gab as if it was for my spelling

i thinking still be shooting in the back garden

keep trying

atbpete

it aint u ,its farmers m8 ,i worked at a tractor dealers for 4 years ,500 customers and only 1 gave permission in all that time .try saying do u need FREE pest control are rabbits eating your crops .i can help free of charge ,first thing i did was offer to ratbait the farmers grain store and blatt the pigeons with my airrifle joe zeff took me to meet the farmer .he gave him lamping permission and said yes to me as well.soon as he asked bout rats that gave me a way in.get on vistaprints website 500 free buisiness cards .put them in blank envelopes and as u drive around write the name and addresses on off them hanging signs farmers are fond of .put them through the door and when the peas /barley /wheat or rape are being eaten by flying rats farmer piles be looking for the card to ring you fingers crossed :good: :good:

Get to know the people you want to shoot for, you wouldn't let some random stranger shoot in your (Albeit a rather large one)

I've only ever got one, very small permission from asking someone I didn't know, two have come from beating, and one because I worked directly for the farmer, and one because I worked with the daughter of a farmer who put in a good word.

• 3 weeks later...

i think i can quite honestly say, iv been to over 100 farms now, and not had a single yes.

im going after work everynight for 2 months, im working in leeds, so have worked both sides of the m62 and m18.

quick quote is " hi, im looking for some local land to shoot on. wondered if you had anyware i might be able to shot or could point me in the right direction?"

usual reply is, no sorry we shoot our own.. or sorry its under an estate/keeper/syndicate. then i leave my card and go to the next place..

does everyone do the same? iv been as far as ripon and heard the same story.. just wondered if im doing something wrong?! iv done the door knocking for years and always been able to get the land i want, this year just seems to be impossible for some reason?

btw people, im not trying to be greedy and hog land, im simply wanting a bit of land for a rimfire/.22hornet

join a "young farmers" club......................

• 2 months later...

It is hard at times. I have 4 permissions out of the 30 odd places I asked. But today I got a phone call of one place I went asking me if I'm still looking for land as he has a rabbit problem do u never know whats round the corner. Needless to say I'm going straight there after work to see him

Jim

• 1 month later...

I used to have ferreting land 24 years a go I gained by working for a small clay shoot the owner reared up pheasant chicks which went up to a large shoot I helped out on for free learning as a return for the help I got ferreting and the odd beaters day shoot and pigeon shoot in north wales a few years latter I give up needed a job I think if I had dated there my of been a keeper by now

• 2 weeks later...

What happened to this land then ??????????

Lol, nothing's happened.. Your a few months too late, have now had fac over 3 months, applying for my first variation for a .270 :-)

Anyone reading this, keep knocking and show the farmers your catch. Have gained five further farms local and all land now cleared (it's amazing what taking farmers lamping gets you!)