.17 HMR AMMUNITION WARNING

Just got the following email from the NRA regional rep;

====================================================

"If you own a .17 HMR and are using ammunition *other than* that made by

Winchester pay heed to this warning.

Almost all .17 HMR ammunition, regardless of brand name on the packaging, is

made by CCI. (The exception is Winchester branded ammo.)

There have been a few instances involving CCI made ammunition in which the

bullet failed to leave the barrel. The London Proof House has seen several

rifles involving the failure of .17 HMR bullet to leave the barrel. (And of

course the user has immediately fired a second shot resulting in major

damage to the rifle but, thus far, no *serious* injury).

The Proof House states that in the instances it has seen, the problem was

fracturing of the cartridge case resulting from improper case annealing at

manufacture and hence insufficient pressure.

If you experience anything abnormal, pull the bolt and inspect the bore

before you fire a further round."

========================================

J.

I happened to have some 4mm carbon rod laying about so I keep a piece in my gunbag in case such an occasion occurs.

The winchester 17's I tried were inconsistent and the many of the necks caught on the breech lip as they were either thicker - or not crimped. Either way there was a more pronounced lip on the edge of the neck that on Horanady or Remmingtons I have used.

So... what magic process does Winchester use that solves this problem compared to CCI? :hmm::hmm::hmm:

HMR has potential problems period, this is well known!

If there was a solution I have to ask why CCI do not employ it? :hmm::hmm:

Maybe - and I stress only maybe, The ravaging litigation culture in the good ole USA is so scary they are dumping the problem rounds over here. I say that because I simply cannot imagine this sort of potential incident even being risked over there.

What I suspect will likely happen is that more expensive procedures will be adopted - increasing the cost of HMR towards that of home loaded small Centre fire ammo - which will probably kill its popularity.

Is it the actual process of necking the case down that's causing the problems,or has anyone experienced cracking in .22wmr cases as well?

I've had .22wmr for 5 yrs or so and I've never had a split case, squib, misfire or stuck round. That's using Winchester JHP, TNT JHP and Remington V-max.

Is it the actual process of necking the case down that's causing the problems,or has anyone experienced cracking in .22wmr cases as well?

I no longer have my WMR,but experienced split necks on the empty cases on quite a few occasions.It got to the stage where I carried a small bladed knife with me whenever I shot the WMR so I could prize the case from the chamber;the bolt extractor couldn't do it.All cases were CCI.

So... what magic process does Winchester use that solves this problem compared to CCI? :hmm::hmm::hmm:

HMR has potential problems period, this is well known!

If there was a solution I have to ask why CCI do not employ it? :hmm::hmm:

It doesn't seem to be the case that there is something they aren't doing which they should. It's just that they appear to have made a batch of brass incorrectly. It's an annealing problem so maybe they set the temperature wrong or there was a mechanical fault causing a variation or something? Perhaps the brass was contaminated at manufacture?

J.

Maybe - and I stress only maybe, The ravaging litigation culture in the good ole USA is so scary they are dumping the problem rounds over here. I say that because I simply cannot imagine this sort of potential incident even being risked over there.

What I suspect will likely happen is that more expensive procedures will be adopted - increasing the cost of HMR towards that of home loaded small Centre fire ammo - which will probably kill its popularity.

I doubt that this is the case, to be honest. Just because the ammo caused an injury here doesn't mean that you can't bring an action in the US courts, I don't think.

Talked to the importers today. There is no official recall for the ammo and it is not necessarily dangerous to use.

J.

The problem with HMR brass, or at least to my knowlege this is the issue, is that the case can't be primed once necked down and it can't be annealed once primed. The priming compound has to be spun into the rim in .22wmr form then the case necked to .17. In this process the brass is stressed and if it was centrefire brass it would be annealed again because the primer is seperate. As it's rimfire however, it can't be. So the rounds come out with brittle necks and shoulders. There's nothing they can do.

I assume that this batch of brass was a bit naff and was weaker at the start. Then the manufacturing process would have pushed it over the edge.

Edited by njc110381

Only last night i had a jam,couldnt close the bolt on my anschutz .17,turned out the bullet had gone back into the case letting the powder out and when i tried to close the bolt it compressed against the breach stopping the bolt handle locking down,stripped it cleaned it,all working so filled the mag and cycled the bolt and it happened again both bullets out of the same box,winchester supreme

I have ammo from 2-3 yrs ago which i bought in bulk all hornady...and no probs what so ever with them, so shows the problem was not there then..im shortly going to be running out soon so will have buy new and no doubt will encounter the above problem of which x3 of my mates also had same problem of bullets jamming in barrel.