New Toy ( well newly kitted out toy)

Dirtboy

Hey guys

Not been on these boards for awhile as have been shut away tinkering with the quad. So thought Id show you the fruits of our toils.

Its a Honda 450 Foreman manual which is on agg' registration so can be used on the road. Me and shooting buddy got a while back and set about making it a tool for pigeon shooting and bunny bashing with lamps.

Front seat is off and on with two bolts as not sure what the Gendarm would make of it so we only use it off road. We have an aluminum (uber light) trailer that is inch perfect size for the quad (handy when your shooting buddy is a blacksmith!) and can also be towed on the back of the quad across fields with all the gear for a day on the pigeon. So pigeon days it easily seat 4 and trailer takes all the gear.

Also use it for bunnies lamping in evenings and it is awesome, fitted second back box so is very quiet, but also very fast and will go through almost anything. The seats on front and back are thick stiff foam and had an upholsterer cover them so its very comfortable and just pressure wash the whole thing down when done.

Just a pair of kolpin double racks to be fitted and then complete. Comments / suggestions welcomed

Dirtboy

Unknown000.jpg

A.jpg

C.jpg

E.jpg

TheQuad19.jpg

From mobile at night !

TheQuad24.jpg

Hey guys

Not been on these boards for awhile as have been shut away tinkering with the quad. So thought Id show you the fruits of our toils.

Its a Honda 450 Foreman manual which is on agg' registration so can be used on the road. Me and shooting buddy got a while back and set about making it a tool for pigeon shooting and bunny bashing with lamps.

Front seat is off and on with two bolts as not sure what the Gendarm would make of it so we only use it off road. We have an aluminum (uber light) trailer that is inch perfect size for the quad (handy when your shooting buddy is a blacksmith!) and can also be towed on the back of the quad across fields with all the gear for a day on the pigeon. So pigeon days it easily seat 4 and trailer takes all the gear.

Also use it for bunnies lamping in evenings and it is awesome, fitted second back box so is very quiet, but also very fast and will go through almost anything. The seats on front and back are thick stiff foam and had an upholsterer cover them so its very comfortable and just pressure wash the whole thing down when done.

Just a pair of kolpin double racks to be fitted and then complete. Comments / suggestions welcomed

Dirtboy

Unknown000.jpg

A.jpg

C.jpg

E.jpg

TheQuad19.jpg

From mobile at night !

TheQuad24.jpg

very nice mate just need a drinks cabinet :good: :good: :good:

colin

Cheers for the comments.

Braking and stability are no probs at all, believe me we have tested this !!

With the front seat occupied and a rider (IE no one on back) it is very very stable, if not a bit un-nerving 1st time out, it is even more stable with someone on the back. Three works well for stability also one shoots, one rides and the man on the back is the lamp man so it's perfect (IMHO). You literally just brake as normal it doesnt seem to effect it.

The front seat is pretty far back and the seat slopes back slight so it pushes you backwards. Also the foot rest is sized so that your legs are slightly bent which ' braces ' you into position.

For bunny blasting I am yet to find a better tool, it goes anywhere, gets there fast and with twin back boxes doesn't spook them at all. Let off 2 barrels of the 12 and spooked a load and one even ran into the side of the quad its that quiet.

The front and back seats are fitted such that they are easily removed leaving the original Honda racks ready for use but to be honest we tend to leave the seats on.

Will post up some more pics with the trailer etc when I get 5mins :D

• 2 weeks later...

So this is the the complete item (save for few minor tweaks). It has a purpose made black aluminum trailer that is both strong and light. The trailer can be easily stored on its end so takes up little space and as its ali it is very very easy to maneuver by hand.

As its purpose made the quad fits on exactly and it still provides a huge amount of carry space when the trailer is on the back of the quad (poles hides, guns, bags decoys, magnets, dogs and other shooters if need be !)

It has fitted ramps that fold down. These were added as loose ramps were a pain so these fold down once a retaining clip is removed and the quad can be driven straight on. Cant see from the pics but the light board also fits to the ramps when towing on the road.

Our plan was to make shooting as easy as possible so we ride the quad on to the trailer, tow the trailer to the shoot, ride the quad off and hook the trailer to the quad...simples.

Any suggestions to improve this greatly appreciated as the project seems to keep evolving!

O.jpg

J.jpg

N.jpg

L.jpg

K.jpg

I would consider adding the following to the trailer neck:

Jerry can holder for extra fuel for quad?

Spare wheel for trailer a flat could strand quad.

Jockey wheel or stabiliser leg at front and perhaps rear to allow for loading and unloading without towing vehicle

Looks good my aunt has a similar style trailer for use behind a quad and transporting quad it has a full width ramp and is ideal for rolling on a round bale and towing out to the feilds good handy GP trailer

• 2 weeks later...

Good ideas Ace but one of the key factors is being able to store the trailer on it's backside (upright) so it fits down the side of the house.

We have a small tough plastic trolley that it sits on and so is easy to move so unless the jerry can was well fixed it may be an issue. The spare trailer wheel is a top shout and this will not effect the storage at all. Not sure about he jockey wheel as don't really use the trailer that way.

Have been thinking about being able to use the trailer someway as part of a hide as in variably we get in the field and the trailer is left so why not try and use it ? Been told that we cant rig up a kettle or mini fridge from the quad 12v output to a box in the trailer or we will never be spoken to again by the rest of our shooting mates....bet they wouldn't say no to a brew, cold tinny or steaming hot pot noodle in the field tho :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyone any suggestions about using it as part of a hide or even seen this done ?

Cheers

Edited by Dirtboy

Good ideas Ace but one of the key factors is being able to store the trailer on it's backside (upright) so it fits down the side of the house.

We have a small tough plastic trolley that it sits on and so is easy to move so unless the jerry can was well fixed it may be an issue. The spare trailer wheel is a top shout and this will not effect the storage at all. Not sure about he jockey wheel as don't really use the trailer that way.

some steel hoops for a net could make it a hide, also keep the quad covered and dry if required just some pipe bent to shape then cover with camo netting with hole in the top (or not......)

but you'll need a jockey wheel or leg to stabilise the trailer or it will rock around a bit (unless you leave quad hitched but then that may limit it's usefulness http://www.trailertek.com/acatalog/Jockey_Wheel_Clamps.html#aJWS108 & http://www.trailertek.com/acatalog/Props.html

I wouldn't tip it with jerrycan still on it! http://www.sipuk.co.uk/tools/info_SIP04562.html can be had for less ex MOD stock keep eyes open for them at game fairs etc

Again cheers for the help.

Only worry with the hoop/frame idea is that you may be limited on floor area in the hide as the trailer just takes the quad. Had considered this a while back yet recently thought of fixing poles to one side of the quad so you stand on the ground with trailer behind a kinda canopy affair off the side ??? We could then use the trailer(which will be covered if poles are on other side to store stuff on. As this is jointly owned between me and mate the hide needs to be big enough for two and a dog.

Suggestions very welcome as wanna make this once and not keep changing it!!

HDAV cheers for the can holder link....handy site now bookmarked. Looking at it and remembering co owner is a blacksmith......... I feel he has a late night coming on!!

LOL I kinda agree but......

mud-2.jpg

or :-

quad_enduro_mud_water.jpg

I know which Id choose

A real benefit is when you set up and there is not much about so you can easily and quickly move elsewhere and like I started with we do a lot of lamping so it really helps.

• 8 months later...

Well still not made any enhancements but have finally managed to get some time out !

This is when it really comes into it's own :-

q6_zps2715bae9.jpg

q7_zpsf7f3f41a.jpg

And room for one more !

m_zpsff0a7f0c.jpg

Think she's gotta go......the co-owner convinced me on another project !

Edited by Dirtboy

• 2 weeks later...

@ Kegs : Cheers mate loads of work went into her .....the new project is....... a Polaris Ranger.

We have just got a load more land about 1000 acres which we used now and again but have now got sole rights for a year (for a fee). We are planning to get small amount of partridges, some clay and lamping/stalking going on and feel that this will be the next step up. As we (between us) have several shoots that are spread across the county (Oxfordshire) with some at opposite sides we can only afford 1 shoot vehicle so need something that covers all bases and can be towed depending on where we go. We did consider keeping the quad and buying cheap 4x4 and leave it at the new shoot but ther farmer wasnt happy about it being left there and has had bad experiences with landies being used on his land before. He was happy for a quad to be used and also for a Polaris size vehicle.

@Martin & Oakley : Good suggestion bud, one we did consider soem time back. I think had we been keeping it we would definatly have done something along those lines. As you can see from the pic below, it would be easy to do as due to the colours of the quad you would only need to camo the back where you stand to maintain cover as the quad blends in nicely ( small hide behind in pic). The indicators on teh front are the only 'obvious' item yet this is a small trade off I feel for having the quad Road Legal. It's on a V5 as a Light Agricultural Vehicle so it is free road tax and no formal MOT required - bonus.

Is there a For Sale section on PW ? Seen some reminders not to advertise in this section so am a little confused. I dont really want to put it on flea-bay as feel it woudl be better appreciated by a true hunter/shooter. I will be getting it in some shooting mags too.

q10_zpse1b84903.jpg

Edited by Dirtboy