Problems bleeding clutch on 110

mad1

hi all I have changed the master , slave and flexy hose on my 110 but I can't seem to get it to bleed at all ?? There is fluid coming through the nipple but not a great pressure any ideas or is it a case is keep pumping

:hmm:

They can be a real pain if the master cylinder isn't properly primed, and air can be stubborn in the slave cylinder.

There is a neat trick for bleeding Land Rover clutches though...

Drain it down, then get a large, clean syringe from a chemist, put a suitable flexible pipe on the end that will fit on the bleed nipple, then slowly fill the system from the bottom, and all the air gets pushed out of the top.

Hope this helps!

crack the nipple just a bit two person job foot down thumb off nipple before foot up thumb on nipple and so on when you get a little bit of a pressure close nipple pump up pressure and with foot down crack open nipple and so on untill air is expelled

wedge the peddle down and leave it down over night,thats how i did my old '90 :good:

I've never tried this, but I can't see how it would work. Doing this is usually a way of stopping fluid coming out as it blocks off the reservoir port in the master cylinder, it shouldn't be possible to bleed it this way. :hmm:

Mad1, how have you been trying to bleed it?

The simple and effective approach that always seems to work is to push the pedal down, slacken off the nipple then tighten it again before letting the pedal up (to stop air getting sucked in), then press the pedal and repeat the process until fluid comes out without any air in it. Were you just repeatedly pumping the pedal with the nipple slackened off?

My method flushes it through effectively, the only downside is that it requires 2 people.

I have been doing it the same as you would do brakes ? Start with nip closed press and hold peddal down open nip till fluid comes out then close nip and let peddle up And keep repeating till the pedal starts to firm ???

I can't see why it's not working then, unless there is something specific to defender clutch systems I'm not thinking of.

I joined that landyzone for some advise but to be honest no one answers the posts ?? :no:

Probably because they are all out trying to get their rot buckets to work. :lol:

I joined a car forum and asked a question, and got absolutely no reply's either, after getting a few posts up and asking another question some time after that I got a few responses, but nothing like the 'regulars' seem to receive.

Unlike this forum which has many helpful people, some places seem to only help you if you've given loads first.

Not very welcoming.

First off go for some grease on the slave bleed threads to stop air being drawn in during the bleeding process, then get a mate to hold the pedal down and slacken the pipe on the master cylinder, do this a few times they seem to get an air lock there and once you have bubble free fluid then move on to bleeding at the slave, to do this use some rubber tubing pushed onto the bleed nipple with the other end in a bottle and get your mate to work the pedal giving a second or so at either end of the stoke for fluid to move, whilst your mate is pumping top the fluid up, lock the bleed nipple up and job done :yes:

Holding the pedal down over night can work as well, allows the air to settle up the pipe high enough to be drawn back in to the cylinder and work it's way out on release of the pedal

Bleeding pedal on, spanner open, close, pedal off, pedal on, spanner open, close, pedal off, pedal on, spanner open, close, pedal off rarely works as it's to slow and gravity acts on the fluid as displaces the air upwards, where it stays

And gravity is the reason why the syringe method also works

Edited by Paul223

Update :

I finally got the clutch working it turned out to be the bar in the master cylinder was not adjusted correctly believe it or not the wife noticed when she was helping me bleed it by commenting " how low the peddle is compared to the others "

So I finally got it to move under it's own power after 15 or so years :blush: