Irregular or clever fox?

As we all know foxes (in general) are creatures of habit, using the same runs at roughly the same times most of the time. I however have a "problem" fox that obviously has not read the script or is extremely wise!

This fox went on a killing spree several times, killing over a dozen chickens in the same place so I was called and asked if I could help to get rid of the little thieving pest! After visiting the place and talking to the owner I was given the impression that he had a set route and turned up between 6 and 8 most evenings. However, after a carefull look around the place I found that the run that I had been told he was using to "visit" the chicken run was in fact his exit route. Not to worry though as I found what I believe is his "incoming route". I started baiting an area near to his exit route where I would be able to use some of the natural cover for a shooting position.

The first night I put a couple of chopped up young rabbits out - The following morning every scrap was gone. The following night I put out some fresh ribs of venison - The following morning every last scrap had been taken! That night I put out some more ribs of venison - The following morning every last scrap of them had gone!

3 nights running this fox had been taking food from the same spot so (I would imagine quite confidentlly as it is in the middle of nowhere) I decided that it was time to set the alarm clock up to find what time he/she was visiting. I used a dead chicken from the poultry farm up the road and some thin garden that I had purposely left out for a few weeks to weather and get rid of any smells. The chicken was "set" some 12 feet from where I had the clock mounted. The clock is fixed inside a box to muffle any noise from the "tick tock" and to protect it from the weather and this box fixed to a fence post.

I have now been up for the last two mornings running and the chicken has not been touched. I am wondering if there is some scent on the twine that the fox can smell even though I can not so to test this theory I have this morning removed the twine and left the chicken.

I will have to check tomorrow morning to see if the chicken has been touched but either way this is either a very clever and cunning fox or he has for some reason changed his habits and run completely! He is certainly giving me the run around and winding me up, which makes me even more determined to get even with him!

You could well be right there Nik! I have to admit that I stripped most of the lean meat off the ribs first and it did taste really good diced up and stir fried with herbs, mushrooms, onions, mixed sliced peppers and some stir fry mixed veg! :rolleyes:

But if chicken isn't good enough for the fussy little toe rag then it can go hungry till it gets a "diet pill" made out of lead! I'm not having a fox out foxing me :no::lol: :lol:

Frenchie i found the exact same thing only i was recording the time's and dates on a trial cam,

We had our eye on one Fox that showed signs of damage on its right shoulder (bullet damage possibly didnt look like mange, will poss post pics soon)possibly a vixen and a dog around the same area and simalar times. We had been baiting up for about a week and went out an hour before the expected time for both to appear, but no show. We baited up for the next few days but only had Badgers taking the bait and the odd carion, but no sign of the 2 Fox's,. The crops are too high at the moment so they are safe for the time being.

But answer to you question :- dont know but its happened to me too :yes:

That I believe is a strong possibility Al4x! It strikes me as a little strange that he was taking the "bait" I left out for him every night but all of a sudden he stopped visiting. It's now the 4th morning that the "bait" hasn't been touched!

If that's the case then it saves me a bullet! :yes:

Edited by Frenchieboy

the simple answer could be he has come a cropper and either been shot or run over

I must say it struck me that way, however not all foxes are as dim witted as each other they can learn over time and hard won experiance. scent, strange objects and much more might be playing a part if this one has been there done that all before.

Think for instance we talk of "lamp shy foxes" generally this means they have been missed, wounded or the one that got away from a pair previuos. Many think its just running when the lamp hits them but it can be departing the area or laying low the second they see a beam wafting around, on the other hand you can sometimes walk right in on a totally green fox. Don't expect them all to play the same game the same way

I also have to agree with you Kent! Both your's and Al4x's thoughts are plausible and equally possible! In my experience it does seem that not all foxes have "read the script" and many are wiser than others knowing that something is not quite as it seems - That I surpose is the secret to survival. Either way, if he has twigged on that something is amiss or not quite right and has stopped visiting then as far as I am concerned all is well - Unless I come across him once serious lamping starts again in Autumn!

Edited by Frenchieboy

foxes will take an easy meal untill either they suss something is wrong like you sitting there and missing but at this time of year they can be incredibly stupid. Thats simply down to how hard they are having to work to feed cubs, in this case i'd lay money on it not being something you've done but just in case loose the clock and see if it still stays there. Of course the longer you bait the more chance another fox finds it ;)

foxes will take an easy meal untill either they suss something is wrong like you sitting there and missing but at this time of year they can be incredibly stupid. Thats simply down to how hard they are having to work to feed cubs, in this case i'd lay money on it not being something you've done but just in case loose the clock and see if it still stays there. Of course the longer you bait the more chance another fox finds it ;)

I like your advice Al4x and that is exactly what I went and did before you posted your reply. I have removed the clock and rebaited with some pieces of young rabbits scattered about. At least I will be able to see if it is still in the vacinity and visiting for it's supper without a clock or string to distract it!

• 1 month later...

Can someone (anyone!) explain to me in idiot-proof terms bow to make the 'clock-in-a-box fox timer' please?

I have a food container. I understand I need to put one end of a line such that the battery will be pulled when the other end is pulled as Vulpie makes off with his free dinner. I also get that the box has to be staked/tied down. I understand that you need to put a hole in the box for the line to pass through.

But can I have a diagram as I can't see how the battery will be pulled if the clock can move around inside the box.

Cheers.

Can someone (anyone!) explain to me in idiot-proof terms bow to make the 'clock-in-a-box fox timer' please?

I have a food container. I understand I need to put one end of a line such that the battery will be pulled when the other end is pulled as Vulpie makes off with his free dinner. I also get that the box has to be staked/tied down. I understand that you need to put a hole in the box for the line to pass through.

But can I have a diagram as I can't see how the battery will be pulled if the clock can move around inside the box.

Cheers.

No problem mate! I had to knock one together quickly to time this fox so I used an old ice cream carton. I cut a square out to see the clock face through and then used a small piece of metal strip round the back of the clock leaving enough room to get the battery in and out and to set the time. I then put two small bolts through so that it could be fastened to the outside of the box. You can still see the hands and time. I then drilled a small (About 1/8th inch diameter) hole through the opposite end of the box to run the thread through which goes to the rabbit/bait. As per mark@mbb's suggestion I now use fishing line. When set up I just put the lid on it to keep it fairly waterproof and tape it to a fence post to keep it in place. When not in use the box acts as a storage container for the battery (And spare battery), the tape, the spool of fishing line and a knife.

I am planning on modifying it soon by using a smaller transparent food storage container. This will iliminate the need to cut a hole through for the clock face and then the clock will be fastened in place by the same metal strip on the inside bolted through with a couple of plate washers on the outside.

Here are a couple of photos of the set-up which looks a bit "Heath Robinson" at the moment but it does the job. If it had been more permenant I would have painted it matt brown or olive green.

Edit: Just as a foot note, the fox (An old dog fox) was eventually dealt with after being caught in a cage trap as this old bu**er was too irregular to sit out for to shoot. I made the cage trap myself from a large (42 inch) dog cage that cost me £10.00 off the bay. I will try to get round to showing how it was made as soon as possible but the trap is currently set and in use at the moment.

post-17172-0-25694500-1341989063.jpg

post-17172-0-02219500-1341989074.jpg

post-17172-0-65052000-1341989086.jpg

Edited by Frenchieboy

You could lose the front strip and use washers so you can see all of the clock face :)

That is of course very true but as I didn't have any plate bolts handy when I did it i had to make do with wehat was at hand. However when I redo it with a smaller transparent box I will get a couple of plate washers to use!

I was given the impression that he had a set route and turned up between 6 and 8 most evenings. However, after a carefull look around the place I found that the run that I had been told he was using to "visit" the chicken run was in fact his exit route. Not to worry though as I found what I believe is his "incoming route".

And there you had him FB, why start baiting & waste three nights only to find what you knew in the first place... :yes:

And there you had him FB, why start baiting & waste three nights only to find what you knew in the first place... :yes:

Quite simply because even though I knew his entry and exit route I could not be sure of what times he was visiting. That was the reason for baiting him and then checking his timing with the clock! As it turned out his timing was so eratic that it would have been a waste of time trying to sit out to shoot him, so baiting him and using the clock method was not a waste of three nights!

Maybe just to clarify the situation I was originally told that he was turning up at around lunchtime so I did spend a full 4 hours hidden up behing a sycamore tree surrounded by bees with a rifle waiting for him which turned out to be a fruitless exercise and something that I would not want to repeat too often!

My attempt:

post-14972-0-96051000-1342454152.jpg

post-14972-0-62017100-1342454161.jpg

post-14972-0-17857100-1342454170.jpg

Looks like I'm going to get wet tonight as I stake out a treat for Mr Smelly, but at least now I won't be sitting under a tree getting soaked for hours with nothing to show for it.

Info:

Travel clock off the Bay for ~£2.

Container from Tesco (originally for fruit for the kids school lunches) ~£2.

Thread pinched from the sewing box £?

Rubbers pinched from the kids drawing kit box £0 (until they figure it out).

Might stick a blob of blue tack over the hole in the lid just to keep it properly water tight.

Also entertaining the idea of cutting another couple of holes to thread some cord through to secure to a stake/post.

Something occurred to me also ((re the method/material used to secure the bait) to keep the anti's at bay): If the line is long, then it could become knotted in the animal's gut, causing it some distress (before the arrival of a lump of lead poison). So I'm steering clear of fishing line and using thread that is just strong enough to pull the battery from the holder and keeping it short.

Edited by Alpha Mule

Quite simply because even though I knew his entry and exit route I could not be sure of what times he was visiting. That was the reason for baiting him and then checking his timing with the clock! As it turned out his timing was so eratic that it would have been a waste of time trying to sit out to shoot him, so baiting him and using the clock method was not a waste of three nights!

The first night I put a couple of chopped up young rabbits out - The following morning every scrap was gone. The following night I put out some fresh ribs of venison - The following morning every last scrap had been taken! That night I put out some more ribs of venison - The following morning every last scrap of them had gone!

3 nights running this fox had been taking food from the same spot so (I would imagine quite confidentlly as it is in the middle of nowhere) I decided that it was time to set the alarm clock up to find what time he/she was visiting.

Yep....your right, it wasn't a waste of three nights, it was obviously a waste of quite a few more nights... :yes:

You wasted three nights feeding the Fox, :blink: you then decided to put the clock out after that.

Finding out that the Foxes timing was erratic, that on it's own must have taken another few nights of baiting the clock.??

Yep....your right, it wasn't a waste of three nights, it was obviously a waste of quite a few more nights... :yes:

You wasted three nights feeding the Fox, :blink: you then decided to put the clock out after that.

Finding out that the Foxes timing was erratic, that on it's own must have taken another few nights of baiting the clock.??

I guess we will just have to accept that we all have different ways of doing things!

crikey i am glad i dont have to set up alarm clocks trip wires for my urban chums .they are quite greedy once they find the bait its dusk time everytime .free food and its the first port of call for these guys wheather they spot me or not .30 mins they come back ,i found as long as my eye doesnt make contact with his/hers they are mine into the baited area :good: