Horse Hoof Bait

Okay to use this bait, after it is brewed you can use an atomizer...sray bottle...to spray a shrub or grass area where you want to shoot, or you can place it onto some cotton balls in a plastic ziplock bag and set them out where you want to shoot.

BE WARNED DO NOT SPILL IT ON YOURSELF AS YOU WILL HAVE TO WEAR IT OFF

This is my number one bait for trapping or shooting nuicance fox and coyotes. An added bonus it it also attracts bucks when the deer come into rut, and has been the demise of many a large mature buck.

Ok, Here goes:

Go to your local stables and ask for some hoof trimming. You may need to time it with a visit from the ferrier, or have them saved for you. If you know a ferrier ask him to keep some for you.

The frog or center of the hoof is the best, but any part of the hoof will work.

Take the hooves and cut or break into 1 to 2 inches pieces.

Then take these pieces and an old pan or bucket, using a fish cooker and doing this outside, cover the hooves with water and begin boiling, making sure to keep the hooves covered with at least 1 inch of water. Boil as long as you like, but 1 to 2 hours is plenty.

Let the hooves and water cool, then place in sometype of container... I use the 1 gallon plastic jugs that restraunts get there mayonases in.

Pour the hooves and water into your container and fill to almost the top with clean fresh water. Set your container in full sun for as long as you want. It should turn black in a few days. The longer it sets the better it gets.

I usually make up a batch after the last cold spell of the year and leave it setting out until the first cold spell of the next year... Make sure to set your jug where dogs can't get to it.

Once you have some made, just add water to the jar once you take some out for use....

If you do not have an area that you can boil it first, you can start it from scratch in the jug in the sun but it takes a little longer to get going. If boiled first you can start to use it in about 2 to 3 weeks, if just sun brewed it takes about 6 weeks.

The photo shows my brew jar. You will notice a small plastic hose coming from the lid this is to let off gasses so that the jar does not explode. The plastic tubing keeps debris and flies from getting into the brew contaminating it. When brewing keep this up high, such as on a shed roof away from dogs.

horsehoof.jpg

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah but they are really stinky :good::yes::good::good::good:

Okay one more tip....to make a scent dispensor take a 35mm film container, ........you can usually get these from any developing outlet for free,.......... and using a single hole punch, punch a series of holes around it. A drill will work as well. Be sure to punch one hole through the centre of the cap so that you can add a cord for hanging it on a branch or fence. Place a couple of cotton balls inside and you are ready to add scent.

Be sure to carry a small ziplock bagg with you to place the dispensor in for transport when done hunting.

Cheers,

NTTF

new to the flock I've tried it on my German Shepperd's got 2 half acre garden i put a tea spoon amount on a tree and walked them round, there sniffers picked it up within seconds and went right to the spot,do u think its ready for Fox's or leave for a bit longer?.hope u don't mind me asking but where did find this lure,is it past down through generations.

Skinner,

You are probably good to go. It gets better with age but I have used it at 2 weeks before and worked fine. When you use it set it out and then sit quit and wait if there is a fox in the area he will be around.

Good Luck

Oh and

Old secret Trapper Faimly recepie :yes::good::good:

Just like shooters trappers share things too :good: this bait was originally called 13 dead horses :good::D:)

NTTF

i will give it a go tonight if the weather holds out and will definitely use film container,i was going to use a spray bottle but i was worried it was going to spray inside my bag :yes: i will post later tonight or tomorrow the results. thanks again for great advice!!. :good:

NTTF wow what a result i set up the lure close to a big pheasant pen walked out 80yrds and waited,not for long, just started to get comfy switched on the night vision wow there was 6 glowing eyes,i was totally unprepared dropped the mag out of the gun loaded with real shaky hands, took a few seconds to compose turned on the the max pro whack one down the second bolted about 20yrds dropped that one with ease 17hmr.must get digital camera,going again tonight and will try a more remote place just to see how affective this lure really is.thanks again for a great tip!! :P:lol::lol:

NTTF i went to the garden center and bought 15 gallon water butt with drainage tap think it definitely makes it easier,i understand you don't want to get it on your skin, mine seems to pong so bad it makes me heave. :P i added some more chunks today.hope the weather holds out for u,let us no how u got on.