Horse Hoof Bait

Okay to use this bait, after it is brewed you can use an atomizer...sray bottle...to spray a shrub or grass area where you want to shoot, or you can place it onto some cotton balls in a plastic ziplock bag and set them out where you want to shoot.

BE WARNED DO NOT SPILL IT ON YOURSELF AS YOU WILL HAVE TO WEAR IT OFF

This is my number one bait for trapping or shooting nuicance fox and coyotes. An added bonus it it also attracts bucks when the deer come into rut, and has been the demise of many a large mature buck.

Ok, Here goes:

Go to your local stables and ask for some hoof trimming. You may need to time it with a visit from the ferrier, or have them saved for you. If you know a ferrier ask him to keep some for you.

The frog or center of the hoof is the best, but any part of the hoof will work.

Take the hooves and cut or break into 1 to 2 inches pieces.

Then take these pieces and an old pan or bucket, using a fish cooker and doing this outside, cover the hooves with water and begin boiling, making sure to keep the hooves covered with at least 1 inch of water. Boil as long as you like, but 1 to 2 hours is plenty.

Let the hooves and water cool, then place in sometype of container... I use the 1 gallon plastic jugs that restraunts get there mayonases in.

Pour the hooves and water into your container and fill to almost the top with clean fresh water. Set your container in full sun for as long as you want. It should turn black in a few days. The longer it sets the better it gets.

I usually make up a batch after the last cold spell of the year and leave it setting out until the first cold spell of the next year... Make sure to set your jug where dogs can't get to it.

Once you have some made, just add water to the jar once you take some out for use....

If you do not have an area that you can boil it first, you can start it from scratch in the jug in the sun but it takes a little longer to get going. If boiled first you can start to use it in about 2 to 3 weeks, if just sun brewed it takes about 6 weeks.

The photo shows my brew jar. You will notice a small plastic hose coming from the lid this is to let off gasses so that the jar does not explode. The plastic tubing keeps debris and flies from getting into the brew contaminating it. When brewing keep this up high, such as on a shed roof away from dogs.

horsehoof.jpg

NTTF

Hi this jar you are useing is this what you use after it has been boiled and if so doesnt the smell leak out of the breather tube..

Hopeing to do some within the next 2 weeks and want to get every thing ready. :P

The photo hasnt come up in this post its the one in your first post... :good: B)

Hawkeye,

The jar in the photo is for when you are continuing to sun brew the mixture after boiling, it allows any gas to bleed off. This time of year I would boil it and then strain it directly into a sealable jar, as it will not sun brew. You can always start another batch in the summer, if it works for you.

The stuff that is left to sun brew further is stronger, and much stinkier than just boiled. Another benefit is that you can just add a bit of water each time you take some out to keep it going.

NTTF

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cyber

You may wish to reconsider your offer to post.

I have a customer who is a farrier, and I asked him for some trimmings a week or so before Christmas. He called round for a refill the other day with half a bin bag full; with a warning to put them in a sealed bucket quick!!

Apparently dogs go daft for them, eat them and then throw up repeatedly. The trimmings do honk, quite what they smell like post brewing can only beggar belief. Do you need a full chemical suit, or do you risk ruining your greens oe cammo if any gets splashed.

webber

LOL thanks for that!! I know they smell but didn't actually realise 'how much'!! absolutely Repulsive :good: B) :P:lol:

Any volunteers to put some in a coke bottle for me? I have nowhere I could boil that without getting divorced :look:

I have loads of red acrylic filter material film I could swap for it. I used to cut it to fit in with my torch/gunlamp lenses before I got a flip down one. I'd enclose some cash for the post too.

• 7 months later...

Webber,

That would be interesting to know.

When using it be sure to be upwind, as it is the bait you want the foxes smelling. Also use it in conjunction with a call if you want as then you can call to the upwind side. I usually wait for 20 minutes after putting the bait out and if nothing has shown from up or down wind will give a short call series. You will find downwind foxs will come in much faster and lock on the sent. If any up wind fox circles it will usually come straight in once it hits the scent aswell.

Please post up asto how it works for you, as I would be interested in knowning.

NTTF

NTF

Thanks for the advise. I hope to put it and the bait to good use.

We travel to Scotland on Tuesday, and return on Sunday.

My brew is still in the demijon, just how much does this stuff smell on a scale of 1 to 10? The hoofs on their own were bad enough!

webber

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst thing you have smelt.....it rates a 20 :lol::lol:

NTTF

Hi NTTF,I made some up about 2 months ago in the greenhouse (made the Toms shoot up the canes :lol: ) and have tried it, it certainly does work but I felt that the film cannisters were not big enough so half filled a bean can with rag soaked in the mix and a vertical line of holes punched in the side covered by insulating tape until sited. I hung the can 2 ft off the ground and laid up at 90 deg to the wind, actually I sat in the truck :lol: The bait accounted for two cubs within 30mins of each other.

Im going to make up another batch soon, if anyone wants any posted PM me and you can have some, one of my farms is a livery yard so no shortage of hoof trimmings B)

:rolleyes: D2D

I have taken 3 litres off the brew jar in readynes for Scotland. I was expecting an absolute honk, but was sadly disapointed, so I do hope that it works.

I did not boil the stuff first, but did start with boiling water, the brew has been in the sun for around 6 weeks in a glass demijon.

webber

Webber, to test how strong it is and if it has brewed through take a bit down to your local park where everyone runs their dogs. Put a little bit out up wind on a small bush or tree ....out of the usual pee path and see how many dogs hit the scent and head there.

6 weeks cold brewed should have it going fairly well. You could always take the whole lot and give it a 5 minute boil with the hoof and/or frog bits in the pot.. that will boost it up if needed.

NTTF

NTTF

The lack of agressive smell could simply be me. I have worked with Propane for 30 years, and have become desensitised to some degree. I dont have the time left to try boiling as you suggest, so we shall just have to wait and see what happens in Scotland.

If we dont get results it wont be the end of the earth. I did top the demijon up with hot water and a few more bits of hoof to kick the process off again, so it will have 12 months to mature, woops just remembered, winter is on its way, so I had better transfer to plastic on my return.

I will keep you posted as to the results.

webber

I've just come home.Weather stopped play.On the land i shoot we have a VERY wary fox.he is seen on a regular basis in the same area at roughly the same time.I placed the HHB up wind on the edge of the game cover about 30-40 yards from where he is seen.I set up about two hours before he was due to show himself,that way there was no disturbance just in case he should show early.Just like clock work he appeared he seemed to be interested .Kept popping out of the game cover and you could tell he was looking for something by his body actions.The trouble was as soon as the lamp was on him he wouldnt keep still.I think with a food bait as well this will be the end of him.I will be honest i was a bit unsure of this as i have smelt a lot worst things,on a scale of 1-10 i will say this is a 7. I will not hesitate in using it again :lol:

Well NTTF you caught me with this bait.

I've asked a permission with stables to save their next clippings so I can brew up your evil liquid/smell. Their foxes are lamp shy so the FAC boys are not having much luck....... perhaps I (with your brew) can change that..... I will report back later in the autumn.

• 4 weeks later...
Well i have got myself some horse hoof trimmings, so will proceed in boiling up the stuff shortly. need to find a pan i can ruin first though.

Oh and is it adviseable to do it out side? or can inside do?

:good:

FB do it outside or the stink will fill your house all weekend :) It only needs an hours fastish boil and top up as needed,

good luck it does work.

:) D2D

• 1 month later...