Horse Hoof Bait

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Outlaw

I have a shooting pal that is a farrier I will ask him for some trimmings and gladly post them on to anyone,

as long s you cover the postage. Or they could be free of charge if you want to collect them.

Drop me a PM.

Ps Mine is reeking will be trying it soon :welcomeani:

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Outlaw

At last, The toe nails have arrived :w00t:

The first 2 parcels are being posted out tomorrow 21/11/2007.

You will smell them when they arrive. :yes:

Some of the finest Hoof clippings Bucks can supply. :angry:

Tony

a bit of advice, don't leave a half full bottle of the stinky stuff lying about, say on the back of your pickup, especially if your dogs likely to sniff it out carry it off and start chewing it, and carry the now leaking holed container into the pickup cab :blink: :oops::huh: it's the wrong time of year to drive round with the windows wide open

Guest The Outlaw
a bit of advice, don't leave a half full bottle of the stinky stuff lying about, say on the back of your pickup, especially if your dogs likely to sniff it out carry it off and start chewing it, and carry the now leaking holed container into the pickup cab :blink: :oops::huh: it's the wrong time of year to drive round with the windows wide open

You didnt did you :huh:

Oh dear, unboiled they stink.

Tony

a bit of advice, don't leave a half full bottle of the stinky stuff lying about, say on the back of your pickup, especially if your dogs likely to sniff it out carry it off and start chewing it, and carry the now leaking holed container into the pickup cab :huh::huh::lol: it's the wrong time of year to drive round with the windows wide open

You didnt did you :lol:

Oh dear, unboiled they stink.

Tony

I didn't no

:lol:

my dog did :blink: was a few weeks back now, keep getting funny looks when I call in the pub for a pint after work :oops:

I had mixed some fish guts in for good measure, i think the dog found them irresistible :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Just remember folks when using this in a hunting situation , you are using it as a curiosity and confidance scent. This means you want to place it in a container....film canister with holespunched in it stuffed with cotton works well...........where the wind can take the scent down to where you expect them to come from.

If you are not sure there are any around you can heat it over a single burner stove so that it simmers. This concentrates the scent even more and sends it further......something we do with honey when hunting bears and apple juice when hunting deer. You can smell a honey burn for about a mile so just think how far a bear can smell it.

NTTF

Guest The Outlaw

Where I store it seems to have had some interest from "Charlie" but as suggested I have put it up nice and high and secure.

When I recover from my back injury I am going to do exactly how its was suggested in the thread.

And hopefully post some pics.

The neighbours dogs seem to have taken a liking to it :good:

I keep it in a demi john with a wine making vent on it.

It is a putrid smell though.

Thanks for the tips NTTF

Tony

Just remember folks when using this in a hunting situation , you are using it as a curiosity and confidance scent. This means you want to place it in a container....film canister with holespunched in it stuffed with cotton works well...........where the wind can take the scent down to where you expect them to come from.

If you are not sure there are any around you can heat it over a single burner stove so that it simmers. This concentrates the scent even more and sends it further......something we do with honey when hunting bears and apple juice when hunting deer. You can smell a honey burn for about a mile so just think how far a bear can smell it.

NTTF

NTTF I made some about 4 months ago and keep it in a seald jar out in the greenhouse,I havnt used it for a while and it seems to have lost its pong a little, would it recharge if I heated some through again just before an outing? Or would it be ruined, have you tried this?

Also I found the scent worked more efficiently using abit more in a baked bean can with holes punched in it without a lid, filled with cotton wool. I hung this about 2ft off the ground and had charlie on to it within 20/30mins on several occasions.

:good: D2D

NTTF

NTTF I made some about 4 months ago and keep it in a seald jar out in the greenhouse,I havnt used it for a while and it seems to have lost its pong a little, would it recharge if I heated some through again just before an outing? Or would it be ruined, have you tried this?

Also I found the scent worked more efficiently using abit more in a baked bean can with holes punched in it without a lid, filled with cotton wool. I hung this about 2ft off the ground and had charlie on to it within 20/30mins on several occasions.

:good: D2D

The best way to store it is to put a small tub in the lid pushing it into the liquid this will allow any gas to escape. The best way to recharge it is just to wash a few hoof clipping and then drop them in.

If you dont have any clipping you could try heating it to see if that helps or give it a good shake, as I did this with one bottle that had been sitting close to two years and wow did it pong then.

NTTF

• 1 month later...

Cheers NTTF, we thought we'd give this brew a try. I asked Fleabag to keep an eye out for something to boil up some hoof in and see what he produced. :w00t:

A few minutes with a hole saw and... we're steaming away - well under pressure with a liitle pressure vent in the pipe top :w00t:

post-2210-1200953453.jpg

Edited by Dave-G

Cheers NTTF, we thought we'd give this brew a try. I asked Fleabag to keep an eye out for something to boil up some hoof in and see what he produced. :w00t:

A few minutes with a hole saw and... we're steaming away - well under pressure with a liitle pressure vent in the pipe top :w00t:

Thats tidier than my shed :lol::lol:

Good luck with the mix, I can vouch for its efficiency.

:wub: D2D

Cheers NTTF, we thought we'd give this brew a try. I asked Fleabag to keep an eye out for something to boil up some hoof in and see what he produced. :yes:

A few minutes with a hole saw and... we're steaming away - well under pressure with a liitle pressure vent in the pipe top :blink:

Thats tidier than my shed :lol:;)

:lol: D2D

It don't seem to pong much yet, when the hoof bits were cut up there was enough to maybe fill a cup, then 2 litres of boiling water helped speed things up a bit. Boiled for three hours.

I was expecting the hoofs to really stink and did the cutting up with latex gloves. I guess the fox maybe smells something we don't? We'll be taking some out later this week to see how we get on with it.

Cheers NTTF, we thought we'd give this brew a try. I asked Fleabag to keep an eye out for something to boil up some hoof in and see what he produced. :yes:

A few minutes with a hole saw and... we're steaming away - well under pressure with a liitle pressure vent in the pipe top :blink:

Thats tidier than my shed ;):lol:

It don't seem to pong much yet, when the hoof bits were cut up there was enough to maybe fill a cup, then 2 litres of boiling water helped speed things up a bit. Boiled for three hours.

I was expecting the hoofs to really stink and did the cutting up with latex gloves. I guess the fox maybe smells something we don't? We'll be taking some out later this week to see how we get on with it.

Once it matures a bit it starts to really honk I assure you..... :lol:

Thats tidier than my shed ;):lol:

Had the trimmings dried out? Its the oil in the hoof that creates the pong, the trimmings dry out in a matter of hours and shrink, they need to be put in an airtight container asap until being boiled, I used a double handfull per 2pints water.it should stink if you have got it right.

• 3 weeks later...