Horse Hoof Bait

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

I got some clippings this morning. Just boiling them up now outside. They absolutely honk! :good: Dogs were going nuts when I opened the container prior to boiling them up. They were only opened in the garage about 10 minutes but it stinks to high heaven. Can't wait to try them out. <_<

• 1 month later...

Finally got some clippings: seemed fresh but none from the hoof centre. Set them up to simmer in the garage on a hotplate in an "Antony Worrall Thompson" saucepan (clearance from Netto) just to add a touch of class.

Unfortunately the garage is attached to the house and boiling had to be aborted after 40mins following death threats and other advice from my wife :yp: . Certainly a strange & all pervasive odour,I really can't describe it: not vile like rotten fish etc. but certainly "it honks" is a fitting description. Now left to ferment.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
hi guys, found this old post..having some trouble with a few charlies on permission..very wary of lamp! think ill try this potion!

interested in any success stories using this since the last post in 2008! :good:

I have a few bottles that have been fermenting for some time. Believe me, if you brew it right, and the hoofs are fresh before boiling, it really stinks. I made mine by buying a galvanised bucket, and brewing them on a camping stove, putting a plastic sheet over the top to keep the odour in. When we have sunshine (rare in Wales!) I put the bottles in direct heat of the sun to ferment even more.

I used it once, but there were no foxes about anywhere. My mate and me could smell it from over 100 yards away.

• 1 year later...

just been reading through this, has anyone been using any lately? The farrier is due at the missus place this week, so Im going to set about making some to try and lure them to a trap. Thanks for the recipe NTTF!

All the best

SSS

just been reading through this, has anyone been using any lately? The farrier is due at the missus place this week, so Im going to set about making some to try and lure them to a trap. Thanks for the recipe NTTF!

All the best

SSS

This is also mentioned in the 'Wanted' section. :good:

I may have mised it but just in case can someone just clarify something for me please - When you initially make a brew of this "concoction" up what amount of horse hoof clippings (Either wieght or volume) and how much water would it be best to use?

I may have mised it but just in case can someone just clarify something for me please - When you initially make a brew of this "concoction" up what amount of horse hoof clippings (Either wieght or volume) and how much water would it be best to use?

There is no set weight or volume. I brewed a batch of clippings, which was probably less than a pound in weight. Just use enough water to cover them, and top up as needed. I covered the bucket with a board, so that most of the steam condensed back as water.

Any other questions, just ask. :good:

Steve.

Thanks for that Steve! Just a quick couple more questions if I may - You say just enough water to cover the clippings - I would guess in the average pan it might be just under a pint. I assume that you might need to top this amount up while simmering to keep the clippings covered with boiling water - Is that correct? Do you add water afterwards to make up to any set volume when cooled? (I don't know, is there a "usual amount" is to be stored or made from say about 1 pound of clippings or does it vary according to Charlies taste) I would be storing it on the roof of one of the farm buildings in some sort of glass container, maybe a demijohn with a breather pipe so as to allow the sun to help it "ferment".

Finally, does this "concoption have a "shelf life" i.e. do you need to make a fresh batch up each year or do you just keep topping it up as the season(s) go on please?

Thanks in advance for your help! :good:

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to ask - Should you strain the liquid before putting it into it's "fermentation container" or would you leave the boiled clippings in with the liquid to continue "fermenting"?

p.s. Maybe we should have an "Smiley" designed holding it's nose for this one! :lol:

Edited by Frenchieboy

Thanks for that Steve! Just a quick couple more questions if I may - You say just enough water to cover the clippings - I would guess in the average pan it might be just under a pint. I assume that you might need to top this amount up while simmering to keep the clippings covered with boiling water - Is that correct? Do you add water afterwards to make up to any set volume when cooled? (I don't know, is there a "usual amount" is to be stored or made from say about 1 pound of clippings or does it vary according to Charlies taste) I would be storing it on the roof of one of the farm buildings in some sort of glass container, maybe a demijohn with a breather pipe so as to allow the sun to help it "ferment".

Finally, does this "concoption have a "shelf life" i.e. do you need to make a fresh batch up each year or do you just keep topping it up as the season(s) go on please?

Thanks in advance for your help! :good:

p.s. Maybe we should have an "Smiley" designed holding it's nose for this one! :lol:

Right. In answer to your questions,I boil mine in a galvanised bucket, which probably held about 6 pints of water. Keep the top covered as much as possible, to stop the steam evaporating. I found that by putting a board (piece of kitchen worktop) over the bucket, most of the steam condensed back into the bucket.

After boiling (for about an hour) I pour the liquid into a gallon plastic container, and add a few bits of clippings as well, topping it up with some fresh water. I leave it for about 6-8 months,without opening it. When we have sunshine (?) I leave the container in the sun, this is supposed to help it ferment quicker. I have not known any gases to build up though, and if you fill the container, leaving about 3 inches from the top, there should'nt be a problem. This is with plastic though, and I'm not sure about glass.

There is no shelf life, in fact, the longer it's left, the better the strength. I found a 1 litre bottle the other day, in which I had poured some of the mix, ready for the farm. It must have been in the garden bunker for approx 2 years. When I removed the top, it almost blew my head off. I'm hoping to get another batch of clippings to make another brew for next years outings. I keep the old boiled clippings in a sealed ice cream tub, and add these to the new batch, as they still smell.

When using the mix in the field, I either pour some onto the grass, or use a demister type bottle. the downside to that is that the 'mist' could come back on your clothes. Always use disposable gloves, because once on your hands, it really takes some shifting.

Don't forget though, if there's no foxes in the area that you are shooting in, then no amount of lure will bring them in. But this stuff is very pungent, and should catch the nose of any fox in the vicinity, especially if there's a strong breeze.

Steve.

EDIT: You can actually make a potion without boiling it. Just put a load of clippings in a plastic container, and cover with cold water. Eventually, the water will take on the 'odour', but boiling them first, gives it a 'kick start'.

A quick word of warning to anyone thinking of brewing up a batch of this evil smelling concoption - Do it out doors and whatever you do stay upwind from it while it is "brewing"!

Trust me on this one guys - After a long hot soak in the bath and all fresh clean clothes I can still smell the wretched stuff!

A quick word of warning to anyone thinking of brewing up a batch of this evil smelling concoption - Do it out doors and whatever you do stay upwind from it while it is "brewing"!

Trust me on this one guys - After a long hot soak in the bath and all fresh clean clothes I can still smell the wretched stuff!

Yes. Outdoor 'brewing' is highly recommended. I brew mine behind my shed, in a galvanised bucket. I leave it alone, only checking from time to time to make sure that the camping stove is still lit.

As mentioned by myself in an earlier post, you don't have to boil the clippings. Leaving them soak in a sealed container for a few weeks, will create the right odour, but boiling them gives the brew a jump start.

Steve.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pete,have you had any luck with the horse hoof bait yet?

Steve.

I haven't tried it out in the field yet Steve. I have a 3 litre plastic milk carton with a screw top lid about half full maturing in the sun (What sun we have had)! I hung it on a high garden fence to "mature" and it appears that the local cats now like to hang around that area. I did have a mate round the other week after a shooting trip and told him about it. I held the bottle at arms length before I unscrewed the lid and told him to take a good wiff of the stuff. He should have realised that there was something amiss when I held it at arms length before opening it. The poor chap nearly threw up all over my car!

Once the cubs start going out with the vixen I will be giving it a go - I will let you know about any results!

I have to say that after a couple of months in the sun it really pongs!

You can fill that bottle almost to the top,Pete. As it's plastic, there will be no problem with fermentation, and the extra water added won't affect the strength. :good:

Thanks for that tip Steve! I have a good friend who is a farrier (He and his father occasionally shoot clays with me) and he is going to save me some more trimmings from the "frog", I will then use them to top it right up to the top!

• 4 months later...