Costs of PCP's?

andy198712

i'm looking at upgrading my ratcatcher for something more rabbit friendly, something with nice range and quiet. so i'm guessing PCP is the way forward.

can you tell me, other then the cost of the gun, what sort of costs would i be looking at to setup and run a PCP?

Thanks

Andy

how much cash you got that is the question gun,bottle,scope plus bits 500 quid second hand easy you can pay over a grand just for a rifle but wont do any more power than 400 quid rifle stay away from pump to charge the gun there **** you will be fed up after 2 fills price to charge a air tank is about 4 quid as long as its got it 5 year test still in date.

look at a second hand full set air arm s410 10 shot pellet on pellet at 40 yards second hand about 350 a bottle and scope just over 500 ish then all you need is air and lead

swiss

hmmm seems like the bottle is the expensive bit!

i was thinking £200-£250max budget for the gun(which i know is pushing it), (selling a shotgun and ratty) but seems like the essentials that come with it will blow me out the water....

maybe it'll have to be break barrel or under lever then.....

Thank you for your help though!

can you not use an air compressor?

You can use a compressor - if you can find one that goes up to 200 + bar! most everyday items - car tyres bike, tyres etc. don't come anywhere close to the pressures you need for an airgun. so getting a compressor will cost a lot. Bottles are the biggest expense after the gun/scope. You might be able to pick one up second hand, but then you still have the cost of refilling and getting it tested, which is a requirement for all bottles, regardless of the size. That's another cost. The much maligned hand pump is what I use and have no complaints from it! You buy it and other than minimal cost of the odd replaced seal that's it. yes, they take a bit of effort to pump the gun, but it's not as bad as people make it sound! If you're not using it massively regularly, when filling up with a hand pump might get tedious, then you can keep the costs down by getting a pump and not a bottle. You save yourself a packet by getting a second hand pump. plus, if you give yourself some time, you can often find some pretty decent deals on second hand weapons that have a pump with it.

Have you thought about what sort of Air rifle you would like? if it was me, I'd look to spend any money you save if you went for a pump rather than a bottle on the gun.

Some good points, a pump would be cheaper, and I'm young and fit..... Lol

I think ideally .177 and I'd be happy with single shot. I've also seen the 10shotnkuys for the s200 is it? Quite cheap.

I don't use it very often is the thing. 3 outings a month maybe. And also have a shotgun, which is my main gun really. Thus I don't want to plow loads of money into this.

Will be having a look in the local gunsmiths which are nice guys this week to see what they have and say too.

I've got an oxygen bottle at home that is I think max 207bar but is that too little ?

Thanks guys!

:hmm: You could get a Logun Solo with scope and Silencer and poss a 10 shoot mag for around £250. Very light Rifle and pellet on pellet at 30yds :yahoo:.

Falcon FN 19 very light and gives good groups at 35yds very reliable Rifle.

Hatsan AT44 you get 2x 10 shot mags and an air gauge. Top gun for little money.

BSA Super 10 you get a 10 shot mag and the gun is Regulated so no power curve every shot is the same power.

A lot of PCPs say fill to 200 bar but with a lot of guns its to much. I have a Logun pro MK1 i love the gun but if i fill it to 200 bar the power drops to 4 ftlb then goes up with every shot at 170 bar its doing 11.7 ftlb and then gives me 70 shots all in the 11 ftlb range. :good:

I didn`t find this out till i bought a crono and spent a day finding the power curve of all my PCPs i have seven :yes: .

Only one give me the same power 11.91 ftlb from 232 bar down to 70 bar was the Regulated Super 10 and that was over 250 shots and it puts pellet on pellet at 35 yds. :yahoo:

Rifles that are not fitted with a Regulater work by a Hammer hitting an air valve and releasing air but if there is to much pressure in the air tube it closes the valve to quick and gives you a low ftlbs till the pressure drops i find 170 180 bar works best. :good:

Air pumps are very hard work especially if you are filling to 232 bar mine give me a bad back.

The main thing with air pumps is that they are taking air from the room. And that has moisture in it that then gose in your gun and causes damage to the gun and rust in the air tube you can buy a dry pack for a pump but thay are about £35 and you have to change the filters regular at more cost.

I just kept looking on EBEY. GUNSTAR. LOOT. i got a 300 bar 3 litre bottle with gauge for £60 i had it tested £20 and that gives me around 20 fills from empty.

Then i got a 10 litre 232 bar bottle with gauge out of test for £30. £20 test and that bottle gives me over 40 fills and bare in mind each fill with give you about 70 shots.

I get them filled at a dive centre for £3.75 each and that`s with very dry breathing air so no moisture or dust or other **** to contaminate your pride and joy :good: . Since getting rid of my hills pump my back is allot better :yahoo: . And since using bottles to fill my Rifles i have had no leaking seals or any problems with my guns.

I did have a leaking seal on one of my solo`s that i had filled with my pump so i stripped the gun and took the ends of the air tube i could not believe how much **** was in the air tube black oily dusty crud :cry1: .

So i give it a good cleaning and replaced the seals at each end and i have only filled it by the air bottles since and its never given any problems since so i would say air bottle every time :good: . Happy :shoot:

even an empty one filled with air?

thanks for the link that was helpful, and about keeping them charged, cheers :)

Yes they are labelled as containing certain gasses and that is the gas it is certified to hold. If you ask someone to put gas of a different type in they could legally refuse. You may also find that the connectors are different, which means you will need to revalve the cyinder!

:hmm: You could get a Logun Solo with scope and Silencer and poss a 10 shoot mag for around £250. Very light Rifle and pellet on pellet at 30yds :yahoo:.

Falcon FN 19 very light and gives good groups at 35yds very reliable Rifle.

Hatsan AT44 you get 2x 10 shot mags and an air gauge. Top gun for little money.

BSA Super 10 you get a 10 shot mag and the gun is Regulated so no power curve every shot is the same power.

A lot of PCPs say fill to 200 bar but with a lot of guns its to much. I have a Logun pro MK1 i love the gun but if i fill it to 200 bar the power drops to 4 ftlb then goes up with every shot at 170 bar its doing 11.7 ftlb and then gives me 70 shots all in the 11 ftlb range. :good:

I didn`t find this out till i bought a crono and spent a day finding the power curve of all my PCPs i have seven :yes: .

Only one give me the same power 11.91 ftlb from 232 bar down to 70 bar was the Regulated Super 10 and that was over 250 shots and it puts pellet on pellet at 35 yds. :yahoo:

Rifles that are not fitted with a Regulater work by a Hammer hitting an air valve and releasing air but if there is to much pressure in the air tube it closes the valve to quick and gives you a low ftlbs till the pressure drops i find 170 180 bar works best. :good:

Air pumps are very hard work especially if you are filling to 232 bar mine give me a bad back.

The main thing with air pumps is that they are taking air from the room. And that has moisture in it that then gose in your gun and causes damage to the gun and rust in the air tube you can buy a dry pack for a pump but thay are about £35 and you have to change the filters regular at more cost.

I just kept looking on EBEY. GUNSTAR. LOOT. i got a 300 bar 3 litre bottle with gauge for £60 i had it tested £20 and that gives me around 20 fills from empty.

Then i got a 10 litre 232 bar bottle with gauge out of test for £30. £20 test and that bottle gives me over 40 fills and bare in mind each fill with give you about 70 shots.

I get them filled at a dive centre for £3.75 each and that`s with very dry breathing air so no moisture or dust or other **** to contaminate your pride and joy :good: . Since getting rid of my hills pump my back is allot better :yahoo: . And since using bottles to fill my Rifles i have had no leaking seals or any problems with my guns.

I did have a leaking seal on one of my solo`s that i had filled with my pump so i stripped the gun and took the ends of the air tube i could not believe how much **** was in the air tube black oily dusty crud :cry1: .

So i give it a good cleaning and replaced the seals at each end and i have only filled it by the air bottles since and its never given any problems since so i would say air bottle every time :good: . Happy :shoot:

If your pump gave you a bad back you are pumping wrong! You use the knees! You use body weight, not back!

Im in the same boat as you mate. Pcps look great and are consistent and easier to hunt with which is clearly a bonus. However the cost of all the gear is just huge with about half a grand needed to get you up and running. Look on the websites that sell secondhand pcps because the other stuff is often included. Failing that the gun i use, theoben fenman, seems to me to be just as effective as a pcp without the initial cost and just generally does the same thing. Look at gas ram guns online, crosman has just joined theoben in making these and they are meant to be a pcp/springer hybrid and it works for me. Then the price is just for gun and lead but the bad thing is they cant be multishot and cant be reloaded in a stealthy way as you can with a side lever.

Overall if you can afford a pcp go for it but if you can get a gas ram or springer, if you shoot them correctly they are just as good as pcps.