Hot Sauce Committee

Thunderbird

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not into the butt burners now ,every year we play rugby at Chipenham and we get half a dozen bottles of scrum sauce basically a medium spiced ketchup made by Trucklemeats as a fund raiser , hot and spicy and still on the scoville scale of comfort :good:

The true Caribbean sauces (and i'm not including reggae reggae here) are all a little too sour for me and the tabasco ones all just taste of....er....tabasco (barring the totally awesome new chipotle one)- I'm big into chilli ketchups and relishes where you can taste the base ingredient and then the get the buzz when the chilli kicks in, but tend to make them myself cos they're so easy to do!!

Red onion jam with a hint (!!!) of habanero will go down an absolute storm at any barbecue or just simply whizz up some ketchup or barbecue sauce with some finely chopped birdseye chillis and a clove of garlic.

It's not about heat, it's about flavour first.

Edited by Fatcatsplat

I like the Encona stuff too. It's a nice level of heat without getting silly. South Devon Chilli Farm do a nice one made with naga chillies, it's hot but tastes good too.

I think the best I've had is one I make myself to the recipe of an old black guy (can I say that?) who sells chillies at a local car boot sale. He talks the talk of someone who comes from that end of the world and clearly knows some old traditional mixes from back home. It's pretty much a half carrier bag of mixed chillies and a good sized root ginger pasted in a blender and then topped off with either olive or sesame oil. Stick it in a large jar and it keeps for months in the fridge and tastes absolutely lovely. :good:

I don't really like the sweet chilli sauces but I'm addicted to Caribbean type sauces, in particular Encona Hot Chilli sauce - it goes on anything savory.

encona gets my vote too , also the nando's medium peri peri is good, i'm having it with pretty much everything at the moment - personal favourite has been mixed with mayo on a chicken sandwich :good:

I like the Encona stuff too. It's a nice level of heat without getting silly. South Devon Chilli Farm do a nice one made with naga chillies, it's hot but tastes good too.

I think the best I've had is one I make myself to the recipe of an old black guy (can I say that?) who sells chillies at a local car boot sale. He talks the talk of someone who comes from that end of the world and clearly knows some old traditional mixes from back home. It's pretty much a half carrier bag of mixed chillies and a good sized root ginger pasted in a blender and then topped off with either olive or sesame oil. Stick it in a large jar and it keeps for months in the fridge and tastes absolutely lovely. :good:

Neil that ginger mix sounds nice. Do you make it with dried or fresh chillies?

Fresh chillies. I buy a huge bag of the things from this guy and any I can't use before they start to look past their best go into paste. I generally make a good 1lb jar full and it last me ages! Most of it ends up spread thinly on toast with some cheese melted on the top. :drool::good:

Edited by njc110381

The hot sauce i like(ed) is 'Daves gourmet insanity sauce...'..Make a lovely hot dip when mixed with mayo and lemon juice...Only seen it for sale in a handfull of shops.You can get it on ebay....

Word of warning tho...ITS DANG HOT...

Available here with many other chilli/pepper sauces

$(KGrHqF,!pME9o29-(hrBPqQ+7Gktg~~60_12.JPG

Edited by smig4373

I bought some Mad Dog 357 sauce a while back (not cheap) and made some stuffed peppers for the eldest daughter who 'loves' hot stuff. After eating one she curled up on the floor in front of the fire and groaned for some time before going home and suffering even more the following morning. I could just about manage a tooth pick taste but that was it. Truly awful stuff if you're not that way inclined, I gave it away to a guy in work who used it for making hot mayo for his chilli beef...he loves it.

I bought some Mad Dog 357 sauce a while back (not cheap) and made some stuffed peppers for the eldest daughter who 'loves' hot stuff. After eating one she curled up on the floor in front of the fire and groaned for some time before going home and suffering even more the following morning. I could just about manage a tooth pick taste but that was it. Truly awful stuff if you're not that way inclined, I gave it away to a guy in work who used it for making hot mayo for his chilli beef...he loves it.

Thats the stuff...They say if you can see it,you've got to much... :lol: :lol:

Thats the stuff...They say if you can see it,you've got to much... :lol: :lol:

It's evil gear, we kept the bottle for a while just to laugh at visitors who came over and were convinced to 'try that......it's lovely' I did take it to a customer who thought he knew everything about hot sauces and merrily mouthed approx a teaspoon full from his finger, he disappeared so quick out of the office to get a drink and was quite irate when he came back :lol::lol: ....comical

In hindsight I obviously put way too much in the brat's peppers, poor kid suffered for a while, she sticks to Encona type sauces now.

• 4 weeks later...