Hot Sauce Committee

Thunderbird

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone got any homemade sauce recipes. I am waiting for my homegrown chillis to ripen then I am gonna to start making a few sauces.

I make one that's quite good for adding to food when cooking or for spreading on cheese on toast. It's pretty simple - take about 1/2lb of chilles and cut off the stems, peel and slice up a good thumb sized chunk of root ginger and paste them both in a blender with about 50ml of olive or sesame oil until smooth.

Stick that in a jar in the fridge. It will start to kind of ferment, or at least the jar will pressurise so take the lid off every couple of days for a week or two until it stops doing it.

I've got some that's about four months old and it's still fine. :good:

I make one that's quite good for adding to food when cooking or for spreading on cheese on toast. It's pretty simple - take about 1/2lb of chilles and cut off the stems, peel and slice up a good thumb sized chunk of root ginger and paste them both in a blender with about 50ml of olive or sesame oil until smooth.

Stick that in a jar in the fridge. It will start to kind of ferment, or at least the jar will pressurise so take the lid off every couple of days for a week or two until it stops doing it.

Have you ever tried it roasting the chilli's first? I've seen a similar recipe and it looked delicious but the guy roasted them for a bit first.

Thanks for the post, will have to try that. All we need is some sun so they can ripen :rolleyes:

I've just tried my latest batch of chilli jelly & pretty damn good it is too. You get a good bit of heat & plenty of taste, all in a sweet jelly.

I used 3 sweet red peppers, cored & de-seeded.

6 Jamaican hot red chillies (or Habanero if you want)with some of the seeds taken out as i wanted taste as well as heat.

12 fl oz of white pickling vinegar.

3 Lbs of caster sugar.

3 oz (85 mls) of liquid pectin.

Blend the peppers & chillies together, and put in a large pan with the vinegar and sugar. Simmer for about 20 to 30 mins.

Next add the pectin & bring to a good boil for 2 - 3 mins.

Ladle into sterilised jars.

It made about six 1/2Lb honey jars full & I think this will liven up sandwiches and cold meats a treat with it's hot & smokey flavour. :good: