200 bag on the crows, a bit of sunburn

Topgunners

Hi All.

Last week I had a phone call from one of my farmers saying that his feed barns were getting battered by hundreds of crows and could I pop along and thin a few out for them. I said we would come early saturday morning. Unfortunately my mate had to work till 9.00am and so I told him to join me when he could.

SATURDAY

I arrived about 6.45am and as I drove into the farm about 600-700 rooks and jackies lifted like a great big cloud. They were everywhere. On the roof, in the shed and on the grass field nearby.

I parked along side a huge stack of hay and watched for half an hour or so before deciding to set up along a hedge row,opposite the rookery in the woods; with the wind coming from left to right.The only problem was the searing sun was in my face. After a few minutes I had shot 3 and promptly put them onto our homemade spreader sticks. The birds came in steady, every few minutes and by the time my mate rang me at 10.30 I had shot 44 mixed. He arrived with the boys and I told the boys to set up 25 yards along from my hide. Alan joined me and we shot in turn in the hot sunshine all day and as I had shot without a tea-shirt on , I caught the sun a wee bit. :oops:.

We had shot 207 between us, with myself doing a personal 102 bag. We picked up 168, as the rest had fell into some wheat crop field behind us.

WORD OF WARNING TO ALL.

Don't buy any WEETABIX for at least 6 months; it might just be ROOKABIX. :lol: :lol: :lol:

IMG_0078-1.jpg

SUNDAY

Only myself and Alan were out today and first point of call was the same farm as yesterday, just to have a look. Only 50 or so flying about, so we shot over to Warwick for a look at some farms and found a few on some cut grass. We set up and after 2 hours they stopped coming in. We shot 37 and then decided to drive to Leicester to see a farmer that had just drilled(rather lately) a 70acre field of wheat.

As I drove into the farm, the farmer pulled up in his tractor with a feed bucket attached and explained that he was just going to feed the cows and would be half an hour or so. We started chatting about any other problems he might have when all of a sudden he shouted at me " did you just see that ******** car up there" He was looking up the road and then shot off like a bat out of hell. I started my jeep up and chased after him. Just at the junction was a derelict barn and we saw the tractor had driven into the gap in the field. I jumped out, just as the farmer was walking back and asked him what was happening.I then saw his son running across the field towards us and the farmer said a car was in front of the tractor; and was manouevering to get out.

A courting couple had sneaked in for a bonk and he must have crapped himself when he looked in the rear mirror and saw a dirty big bucket coming at him. me blocking his escape in my jeep and some other geezer running at them from another angle. that will teach them. (mind you the young blondie with him was fit) lol

Excitement over, we packed up with a total of 38 birds for the day.

Then, we had an hour and a half on the rabbits on the way home. managed 11 total

Top weekend 245 birds and 11 rabbits.

HOT!HOT!HOT! weather.

HOT!HOT!HOT! blondie.

Dave K

Hi All.

Last week I had a phone call from one of my farmers saying that his feed barns were getting battered by hundreds of crows and could I pop along and thin a few out for them. I said we would come early saturday morning. Unfortunately my mate had to work till 9.00am and so I told him to join me when he could.

SATURDAY

I arrived about 6.45am and as I drove into the farm about 600-700 rooks and jackies lifted like a great big cloud. They were everywhere. On the roof, in the shed and on the grass field nearby.

I parked along side a huge stack of hay and watched for half an hour or so before deciding to set up along a hedge row,opposite the rookery in the woods; with the wind coming from left to right.The only problem was the searing sun was in my face. After a few minutes I had shot 3 and promptly put them onto our homemade spreader sticks. The birds came in steady, every few minutes and by the time my mate rang me at 10.30 I had shot 44 mixed. He arrived with the boys and I told the boys to set up 25 yards along from my hide. Alan joined me and we shot in turn in the hot sunshine all day and as I had shot without a tea-shirt on , I caught the sun a wee bit. :oops:.

We had shot 207 between us, with myself doing a personal 102 bag. We picked up 168, as the rest had fell into some wheat crop field behind us.

WORD OF WARNING TO ALL.

Don't buy any WEETABIX for at least 6 months; it might just be ROOKABIX. :lol: :lol: :lol:

IMG_0078-1.jpg

SUNDAY

Only myself and Alan were out today and first point of call was the same farm as yesterday, just to have a look. Only 50 or so flying about, so we shot over to Warwick for a look at some farms and found a few on some cut grass. We set up and after 2 hours they stopped coming in. We shot 37 and then decided to drive to Leicester to see a farmer that had just drilled(rather lately) a 70acre field of wheat.

As I drove into the farm, the farmer pulled up in his tractor with a feed bucket attached and explained that he was just going to feed the cows and would be half an hour or so. We started chatting about any other problems he might have when all of a sudden he shouted at me " did you just see that ******** car up there" He was looking up the road and then shot off like a bat out of hell. I started my jeep up and chased after him. Just at the junction was a derelict barn and we saw the tractor had driven into the gap in the field. I jumped out, just as the farmer was walking back and asked him what was happening.I then saw his son running across the field towards us and the farmer said a car was in front of the tractor; and was manouevering to get out.

A courting couple had sneaked in for a bonk and he must have crapped himself when he looked in the rear mirror and saw a dirty big bucket coming at him. me blocking his escape in my jeep and some other geezer running at them from another angle. that will teach them. (mind you the young blondie with him was fit) lol

Excitement over, we packed up with a total of 38 birds for the day.

Then, we had an hour and a half on the rabbits on the way home. managed 11 total

Top weekend 245 birds and 11 rabbits.

HOT!HOT!HOT! weather.

HOT!HOT!HOT! blondie.

Dave K

did you get any pics of other activities. :lol: