"open ticket"

Hi all,sent my firearms licence in to Humberside police get my conditions/restrictions taken off.

I was thinking this could be a long wait.

To my surprise it landed on the mat this morning only 5 days after it was sent.

I am as happy as a pig in **** now, great service from Humberside and a open ticket. atb don

i have just been denied my open ticket unless i can provide letters of compatance from land owners and alike :huh:

is this standard :rolleyes:

oh, southyorkshire dept.

cheers.

ps. if so, can other open ticket holders sign a letter for me.

rapid 12 it does help to get it opened up yes other fac holders can but it would have to be someone that has been with you and has experience. mines still in at humberside its been a while but its not straight forward. i had a meeting with my feo and things are looking ok so i am chuffed with their assesments and help,atb wayne

don nice to see your conditions have come off

Edited by mereside

rapid 12 it does help to get it opened up yes other fac holders can but it would have to be someone that has been with you and has experience. mines still in at humberside its been a while but its not straight forward. i had a meeting with my feo and things are looking ok so i am chuffed with their assesments and help,atb wayne

don nice to see your conditions have come off

cheers wayne

how long does it take to get restrictions lifted ? I'm getting fed up with having to drag my mentor out every time :) he doesnt complain but it is a pain lol

With Lancashire it's not so much a matter of time, it is more a case of when your mentor is willing to write a letter saying that (in his opinion) you have gained enough knowledge and experience to not need anyone "accompanying" you any more. I had that situation and as soon as they got the letter from my "mentor" they removed the condition and gave me a full open ticket. However, this is Lancashire and other areas might work in different ways!

It might be worth a quick chat with your FEO to clarify the situation for your area.

ps. if so, can other open ticket holders sign a letter for me.

If you were close enough to shoot with me I would. I've done it for several forum members in the past and it's worked. People should do this sort of thing more often I feel, it's a dead easy way for a more experienced shot to help a newbie.

If you were close enough to shoot with me I would. I've done it for several forum members in the past and it's worked. People should do this sort of thing more often I feel, it's a dead easy way for a more experienced shot to help a newbie.

I couldn't agree more with this reply! :good:

I have done it for a couple of members once they have been out with me - I'm actually in the process of doing it for a member on here (Who I will not name).

It gives me the excuse to get out in the fresh air and to pass what knowledge that I have to other less experienced people.

If we "the more experienced shooters" are not willing to help out the "newbies" in this way then who is going to carry on our countryside traditions and sports when us "older ones" finally "pop our clogs" and are gone?

:good:

great offer mate, if only you where closer.. <_<

if anyone would like to accompany me on some of my permissions with an open ticket willing to write a letter would be great, of course i will pay fuel, ammo and supply lunch. :good:

doncaster area.

cheers.

I went though a rather weird hurdle jumping run around to get my land restrictions removed. I provided letters to say I was safe and they also wanted five areas of uncleared land that I had permission to shoot.

I think their thoughts were along the lines of how am I going to get five different farmers to sign me off on their land if I wasn't able to shoot it because my ticket was restricted?.... Well that backfired because I know a lot of farmers! 1-0 to me. Some of the farms I have never shot over to this day, but I have permission to if I need it.

Of course without knowing these people well enough to explain to them why I needed their permission I'd have been screwed. I understand that many shooters, even those more experienced than myself, just cannot get that sort of help. It really is a daft system which doesn't offer any additional safety to the public at all! All it does is get in the way of people carrying out a service.

Even after all that they dragged their feet. I then put it to them that I was losing money because I had been asked to carry out pest control as part of my job maintaining large gardens and estates - a mention of who was going to cover my loss of potential earnings got them playing ball and it was open by return of post if I remember right! :rolleyes:

Edited by njc110381

There is some confusion here. firstly " open" means you vet the land it does not need inspecting for calibre etc. "mentored" is an extra condition that has come about recently and recognises that no land is safe and its down to the shots taken and experiance, letter and quals help and generally quite easy to get lifted. A closed cert to open used to take 5 yrs as a minimum, but due to cost saving measures many areas seem to lift it easier today