New permission - what next ?

NickHead

Right then here's the situation.

Just secured permission on 8000 Acres of arable land with pigeons galore.

Stubble fields at the moment with 60-80 pigeons mulling about the area.

Have got 12 decoys ordered ( for now ) and own a cammo net and hide poles.

Using shotguns 12g and 16g, two of us, never been on a pigeon foray before.

We are going out on Saturday, not knowing really to do, other than setting up

the hide, hiding in it and shooting anything resembling a live grey flappy thing.

I realise that decoys need to be placed strategically, but is that really everything.

We all have to learn somewhere, looks like we are going to be in the middle of

nowhere , supping tea and hoping for the best.

Regards

Nick

when we go out we will set the hide up with the wind to our backs and have the decoys in a horseshoe shape (decoys facing the wind) birds should fly towards front of horshoe (towards u) also we will scout the field in advance to see the flight lines get your hide on the flightline then your in for a good day

Are you on the north or south bank Nick?

If you are near we could meet up and I can show you how to set up, what to look for etc.

Just a word of caution, when you do go out be very wary of Stock Doves, they are common, look like woodies, decoy easily and are protected. Make sure your quarry id skills are up to scratch before you venture out.

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

On the North Bank Scolopax, all of our permissions are North Bank and now cover about 10000 Acres+. I like to see everyone saying where they go around the area because there can't be much of it left. Already

got my eyes on poachers in the North Cave area who go lamping on a night, I hope they realise that they

will be reported to the police and the wording will be " Armed Trespass" when I ring them.

Right, other than that, identifying the quarry should not be a problem, well I hope it won't. I do realise

there is a lot of protected species out there, and I respect what I shoot before and after it happens. I am

already efficient with what I hunt with my air-rifle so I am not a learner in that respect.

I think they arrive mid-morning and stay around the area, but they are away from the hedges and out in the middle of the field, bit of a shame really, we may be in for a hard day but at least we can get an idea of where they fly off to and set up an intercept point at another spot.

My aim is quite accurate- ish, because I have practised on clays, and I realise that they do not emulate a proper flying pigeon but I should be close enough. Maybe in the future we will consider some magnets and peckers all depending on how much we enjoy it.

I think I covered everything, cheers

Regards

Nick

As you have said shooting clays is a form of practice but it isn't at all like shooting mr woody for real. With some basic deeks you will bring them in from where they are to within range, since its your first time out take the ones you KNOW are in range (by that I mean start inside 20yds and work out as you get better) - especially important until you get used to which birds you can shoot and which you can't :lol:

A good tip is to use a clicker to keep a track of numbers downed so you can pick them all, any you down but don't kill immediately you need to go and dispatch as quickly and safely as you can. Some say a priest but there are many ways, 3 quick twists of the neck turns out the lights very sharply.

Above all if its your first time out you need to make sure you have a safe way of behaving in the hide together. Get used to sitting with the safety on and only clicking it off after you are up and pointing at the target. Until you get used to each other it might be an idea to just use the one gun at a time, your safety is paramount.

Finally, make sure you are a member of one of the responsible organisations, not just for the public liability insurance, if you ever get into a spot of bother you will be glad you were ;)

Edit: the range thing I said sounded really bad, obviously we only take birds we know in range. How it read wasn't what I meant :P

Nick,

I occasionally mooch around the North Cave area. Had my record bag a few years ago there, it must have been a while ago though because I remember loads of Turtle Doves coming into the field (it was weedy set aside). That field is now a gravel pit! Still do a bit of rabbiting in those parts though.

The number of pigeons on a field is not as important as a good flightline into it or even over it. Set up under a flightline, make sure your deeks don't shine, keep still and take all your empties, sandwich wrappers etc. home. Also no plastic decoy can ever match a dead bird as a decoy.

Nick,

I occasionally mooch around the North Cave area. Had my record bag a few years ago there, it must have been a while ago though because I remember loads of Turtle Doves coming into the field (it was weedy set aside). That field is now a gravel pit! Still do a bit of rabbiting in those parts though.

First thing, scolopax, I would be careful if you don't have permission there. Anywhere within the vicinity of the diving area and around the quarry/gravel store. The bloke who owns it knows of the shenannigans in the area and requires us to call before we go , and after we have left. Even then keeps a watch on us and tells us how many we got. There are no other people allowed on there,with permission, to our knowledge. You maybe do a different place, I know around here permissions are hard for people to aquire, myself, I wouldn't even consider it because of the "Armed Tresspass" conviction, wouldn't like my rifles to be chopped up either, I would be gutted.

Also I got some deeks delivered today, nice matt finish to boot. :lol:

Pin: - I own a clicker,and if I get enough to use it I will be happy. As for breaking cover, due to upside down birds, I have used that procedure on a couple of pigeons I had earlier in the year. Also dispatched a lot of

crows using the twisty method, hard headed things they are. Range finding for me is paramount when using my airrifle - nothing over 50 Yds on a completely still day for me. I am a member of BASA and currently sorting out shotgun insurance, as I have only had them for a few month. The more I clay shoot, the more I information I find about the range of shotguns and what the capabilities are.

The horseshoe shape then it is, will try it out and post back when it is over. We are used to shooting with each other from years ago so we will be OK there, he is my ferreting partner and know each others habits.

Regards

Nick

My point wasn't about upturned birds, but any you don't kill stone dead. We all like to think we are pretty good at what we do but live quarry is somewhat unpredictable and no matter how careful you are you will get some you don't kill instantly. In those situations, at least in my view, you break cover and dispatch the quarry smartly.

I am not having a go here, but 50yds is too far for live quarry with a <12lb/ft gun in my view and I don't care what anyone else says. I hear stories about people taking rabbit at more than that, its irresponsible as far as I am concerned. I can put a grouping out to 60+ with my legal limit, wouldn't attempt to take a rabbit at anything more than 40yds.

Enjoy your outing and stay safe :lol:

You can't always set your hide out with the wind from your back. :lol: Put up with the wind from any direction, as long as you are where the birds are. Often the correct place will put the sun in your eyes, so you'll have to compromise at times. :P

One of the estates on which I shoot has picked up more acreage and, although I have been shooting pigeons since 19 hundred and frozen to death, I will be out there tomorrow checking flightlines. Even more important I shall be checking several times after the OSR goes in. Fieldcraft and reconnaissance are the key to pigeon shooting, not necessarily large acreages. In fact large areas sown to OSR can be a devil to manage, during the winter months. Good luck. ;)

I understand about dispatching non-dead quarry, not only for the welfare of it, but also it could alert the other by flapping erraneously. This is one on my main concerns anyways as I am an animal lover believe it or not. I would hate to see them suffer.

As for the 50 Yd topic, I know my air-rifles, I know my maximum and I know to keep it below it. There has been many a controversy on how far one should shoot, and i'm in the 50 Yd criteria. I have demonstrated ample penetration and "clean" killing power over that distance with an adequate error for marging. Pinpoint accuracy here with my setup hence the Range-Finding quote earlier.

If for any reason I.e wind of any speed, obstructions or doubts of any kind, the shot will not be taken at that distance. The optimal distance I usually use is between 20-40 yards anyway. Just to point out that I am not a novice regarding hunting, I started at the age of 11 and I am now 41, not hunting all the time especially when I were a teenager :lol:

Pigeons were not part of our quarry until now, hence I would like to at least start off with a bit of knowledge from the people who know best. All advice is welcome and I am pleased so many are willing to advise me.

Regards

Nick

Nick,

it was maybe ten years ago when i shot on those fields. Have not seen one Turtle Dove though this year, just shows how quickly they have declined. Still shoot very close by though with no problems, did not know there was poaching problem in the area :lol:

BTW I am genuine in my offer of help, i have enough land of my own so no need to worry about me trying muscling in on your permission

Cheers for that scolopax, much appreciated. I don't doubt at all that you are not genuine and I wasn't insinuating ( spelling ?? ) that you were, so i'll throw my apologies over before I dig myself deeper. I could imaging the poachers are using higher powered weapons also but there we are, it happens.

Anyhow, on a lighter note, I am totally busy before Saturday, that's when we are going. It's going to be a learning curve that we have to follow. Even if we go and don't see any, we are setting some plastic bag targets up and see what the pattern of the shot is like at varying distances, so the day will not be wasted. I may even take my airrifle and snipe some rabbits whilst I am out.

Got to get some ferret food from somewhere and restock the freezer.

Cheers

Nick

good luck with your 1st day's pigeon shooting gents, :)

but beleive me its not as easy as you might think, (field craft and reconnaissance is essential)

it will definately be a learning curv. but most of all be safe( its supprising how distracting 2 shooters in 1 hide can be) :lol: me and my dad was in a hide together last week and he caught his triger, no one was hurt but it makes you realise how leathal a shot gun can be at close range :P . safety on at all times untill your ready to pull the triger is the best habit to get in to. :lol: (you might only get 1 chance at a mistake)

No 1 keep it safe and I hope you both enjoy your self. Hope you drop lucky. :)

kipper. :no:

Nickhead,

Are you still turning out on Saturday ?

Up to now we are, but the weather seems to be turning for the worst. It's going to be one of those

"make our mind up in the morning" days. We may just go there and set up a practice range and

check what the guns perform like. They are brand new and never been out yet and it could be a

wrong combination, but maybe ok for rabbiting. Cheers for the offer though, not only that, it is the

first time we have been on this land so we'd better get more aquainted with the farmer first, just to

prove we aren't muppets. I want to go when he is combining, done that before and enjoyed it.

Regards, Nick

Kipper - Funny you should say that, I released a cartridge near to my brother-in-laws ear when I was

younger, mind you, I did say that it just went off by itself, it was an old single barreled 12g battered

to hell out of it. For some reason I always thought the triggers were a bit lighter then, maybe just worn

due to age.....

Cheers

Nick

Went out today. Set up hide and decoys. Within 10 Minutes, a few pigeons landed around the area, nice one, the decoys were working.

Trouble is, we wern't on a flight line so not too many were coming our way so I decided to move further down and get alongside a hedge corner. Managed to drop 4. Taught myself a lot.

As for recent posts about quarry identification - A pigeon I winged ( flapping about on the stubble ) was followed instantly by a swooping hawk so I made a quick sprint towards it scaring the hawk witless. Would have been a shame if it flew off with my kill.

Enjoyed the day, learnt a lot, both of us happy and still alive, my brotherinlaw didn't get any because he kept in the hide,.

Cheers

Nick

Glad you had a good time!

Confused a little, what do you mean when you say your brother in law didn't get any because he stayed in the hide? Do you mean he didn't shoot?

As you have discovered the trick is in getting to know where the are and what they are doing :good:

Confused a little, what do you mean when you say your brother in law didn't get any because he stayed in the hide? Do you mean he didn't shoot?

Yer, my brother in law stayed in the hide when I went for a walk. I managed to find a bit of a flight line away from the hide about 1/2km . I got three from this position as they flew in towards me. He had a few shots but I think that he had the wrong gun with him (28g , 18grams - a bit too small for a new shooter), I had my 12g , 28 grams and 1/2 3/4 choke.

There was not a lot of pigeon activity, the farmer said that we were either too late for the earlies and too early for the lates. We didn't reccie the area enough, now we are a bit more informed and can prepare for another day a bit better.

regards

Nick

Just pan fried one of the breasts, not keen on the taste, a bit too strong for my liking.

Not to worry though, the ferrets will enjoy a bit of fillet-stoggie in the morning so it won't

go to waste. First time for everything, that's another one off the list.

Nick