Multimedia images of dead animals/birds

Guest Mr Pieman

In my totally honest opinion, I see it as any other hobby. Take car clubs, if you are in a club and go to a large club meet, chances are you'll take a few pictures of other peoples cars and show them pictures of your projects at home, or pictures from that track day a few weeks back. Now, swap a club meet for PW, and the cars for guns, and track days for shooting sessions. Why is it so unacceptable in this light?

:blink:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can i just say ,,i enjoy looking at the photo,s on here of what the guys and gals have shot,,do you know why :hmm: because i have loved hunting since i was 10yrs old and i have only ever shot animals that will be put on the table except for the tree rats,,just cant get my stomach round to eating one :no: .with regards the photo,s doing harm to our sport as some people like to call it,,sorry but if you shoot live animals then i cant see anything wrong with posting them to show other fellow hunters ,,to say it does harm is total BO***CKS.. what i think does more harm is the people on here who think they are GODS just because they have a FAC,,yes you know who you are,,i am forever reading people asking simple questions only to be slated by the ( i,ve got more guns than you brigade) and all they have done is ask a simple question,,thats what i think does the sport more harm,,in my opinion if you dont like looking at photo,s of dead shot animals then dont look,,,,,SIMPLE,,, the anti,s will still be anti,s,,,,so what ,,wont stop me looking at photo,s of a good nights shooting that someone on here has had,,, as long as its with a story then happy days,,,IMHO there is too many people willing to talk absolute C**P about what others think,,, people will always want guns banned even if we post pictures or not so why argue wether its right or wrong and does it do the sport any harm,,putting this topic on here is doing more harm because the antis will now see it as "even the guys who shoot dont even like to look at photos of dead animals " simple answer is "dont look at them, the admins have put it there for people to show what they have shot,,i have never shot a fox or deer but i thoroughlly enjoy watching the vids and the pictures, why :hmm: because after watching some of them, it just goes to show the dedication of some of the lads serching for days on end just for that one shot,,if that upsets people then TUFF,,

ok i,ll sit back now and wait for the onslaught by the GODS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

oh and for the guy who doesn,t like pictures of a dead rabbit next to a gun this is for you,,its a bunny that i spent 2 1/2 hours lying on my stomach waiting for and do you know what i was very proud of it :D

If your a budding councilor or public figure, posting dead animal pictures on a publicly viewed blog for all to see is a bit insensitive and distasteful.

Equally, posting said pictures on a clay shooting forum would be some what out of place and not what people would expect to see.

Putting them up on a hunting forum is not.

Edited by chrispti

Evo, I think you've missed the point. It's not about any of us being uncomfortable with the sight of shot animals, nor the anti's that don't like it, but those who are on neither side.

Shooting does not have enough supporters, we can't afford to turn people away from us into antis because they see cute little rabbits blown to pieces. This thread is discussing how much damage is done by neutral people seeing shot animals.

If your a budding councilor or public figure, posting dead animal pictures on a publicly viewed blog for all to see is a bit insensitive and distasteful.

Putting them up on a hunting forum is not.

+ 1 :good:

Evo, I think you've missed the point. It's not about any of us being uncomfortable with the sight of shot animals, nor the anti's that don't like it, but those who are on neither side.

Shooting does not have enough supporters, we can't afford to turn people away from us into antis because they see cute little rabbits blown to pieces. This thread is discussing how much damage is done by neutral people seeing shot animals.

You're wasting your breath, mate :P

There's still just going to be a succession of people telling you not to look if you don't like it and they're hard because they like looking at dead stuff.

We could try just once more I suppose. Nobody on here really gives a rat's **** about your macho photographs :sly:

The point is that if anybody is remotely interested in the public supporting your sport (or even tolerating it), it might not be too bright to keep displaying heaps of intestines and mashed animals. :rolleyes:

I think pictures are fine as long as one tries to pose them so that the beast in question is not lying there in an outside in pose. I do think that video is a dangerous medium as it does tend to show in detail what has happened to said beast and if it is like the one mentioned it does not show Deer Stalking in a good light. We as stalkers all know that such things do happen and yes posted on the shoot forum is fine but out in the open for all to see is just crazy.

Key point - this is shooting, and this is (generally) vermin control or deer shooting. Certainly on this board. And you know what, during the course of vermin control, vermin is controlled. That means a bullet, or pellet (airgun or shotgun) makes contact with the animal at great speed.

The animal dies, hopefully instantly. At the end of a successful trip of vermin control, there are dead animals. It is natural to take a photo of your achievement - in your hobby you have had success. If by some miracle I ever score a hundred at cricket, I expect to have a photo taken. I won't shy away there, either.

Joe Public will hate my cricket photo (because according to the media only toffs play cricket) and he will hate my vermin control photo, because he doesn't like dead animals.

And you know what - I don't give one iota. The public view of us needs to be HONEST. We kill animals, so the photos show the activity for what it is. If you're ashamed of it, don't do it. If you're not, then don't worry about the pictures.

All that said, there is definitely a case to make a bold note about the state of some of the animals as they can be a bit gross. But when it comes down to it, with such a warning - if you don't want to look you don't have to.

We should not worry about upsetting someone who is curious and having a look - if they really don't like dead animals, then taking up a sport where you kill animals is perhaps not the best plan. there are plenty of other shooting sites which feature the target side to our sport, and there are no dead animals there. Just pictures of guns.

There really is no point censoring what we do - it's legal, it's necessary and it's fun. Many will disagree, but I will disagree with them too. What we should be fighting about is our right to have a minority sport!

what a load of **** this thread is this is a shooting web site i do not give a flying **** of what any of the antis think but there are a good few on here i think i take 100s of photos and stick them on face book and here but i no 1 thing im getin sick of all the abuse we get of so called shooters on here

all we do is seam to argue and bitch with each other i thought all shooter were supposed to stick together but it don't seem to like this now its only just started over last 6 months here.

i will post my photos of what iv shot and i will not be made to feel bad or like a criminal for doing my job what i love with a passion :P

Edited by swiss.tony

I have said all that I want to about this subject on the previous thread that was locked . I will just add that it does seem to me that a number of professional shooters like to post pictures of kills on here ,is it to promote business ? I dont know . Incidently its the professionals who would suffer the most from a ban on shooting . I think that chard has the best overall view on this thread .

Harnser .

what a load of **** this thread is this is a shooting web site i do not give a flying **** of what any of the antis think but there are a good few on here i think i take 100s of photos and stick them on face book and here but i no 1 thing im getin sick of all the abuse we get of so called shooters on here

all we do is seam to argue and bitch with each other i thought all shooter were supposed to stick together but it don't seem to like this now its only just started over last 6 months here.

i will post my photos of what iv shot and i will not be made to feel bad or like a criminal for doing my job what i love with a passion :P

totally agree :good: as to the comment macho photo,s ,,,didnt know taking a photo make you macho :hmm: :hmm:

Funny old world and as I have said, photo's of dead vermin hold no interest for me. I see no point in it and sometimes wonder what motivates some people to take a photo of a mangled rabbit with their gun beside it. However, I would agree with Mr Logic in that I would defend anyone's right to do so.

This subject has however made me realise how dim I am. I have only just noticed that there is a section for photos, something I don't think I've never noticed before and can't remember having looked. But then I suppose, as one who has no interest in pictures of dead things, it should not surprise me.

Here lies the future of your sport :lol:

I'm glad for you that you don't give a flying ****. Tell you what, I don't either :sly:

Guest Mr Pieman

What are we talking about here, graphic shot animals , or peoples pigeon bags, or all pictures full stop :hmm:

The discussion is about graphic images and videos.

Maybe we need a different approach. As this is Pigeonwatch, why not go back to our core values and not have other photos etc. or, at least rewrite the describer under the video image that says 'do not enter if you don't want to see images of dead PIGEONS'. Or, have a graphic content section. Someone stood next to a bag of pigeons is NOT the same as an inside out fox or poorly shot deer. We can ignore the antis, but have to court those who can join us with support, or could join the antis if upset. Remember this, we live (allegedly) in a democracy, so if more like than dislike the activities, it WILL eventually be stopped. So, please don't gift people to the anti movement :no:

I have shied away from ascribing the motivation behind posting pictures of horrific wounds. The points made for and against such pictures are generally well made, even if I don't go along with some of them. My original objection was that having such a picture in a signature means that the picture is shown in every message and in every forum the holder posts to. That defeats the purpose of allocating a specific forum for graphic images. It also means that the reader is forced to see it when they would rather not, when reading adjacent messages. It is not just the fact that IMHO the picture was in bad taste and showed lack of respect for the quarry, it was also getting very tedious.

These traits are well known to designers of forum software and there are hacks and tweaks which allow admin to restrict the display of signatures (and embedded images) to the first post of a contributor to a specific topic.

The discussion is about graphic images and videos.

Maybe we need a different approach. As this is Pigeonwatch, why not go back to our core values and not have other photos etc. or, at least rewrite the describer under the video image that says 'do not enter if you don't want to see images of dead PIGEONS'. Or, have a graphic content section. Someone stood next to a bag of pigeons is NOT the same as an inside out fox or poorly shot deer. We can ignore the antis, but have to court those who can join us with support, or could join the antis if upset. Remember this, we live (allegedly) in a democracy, so if more like than dislike the activities, it WILL eventually be stopped. So, please don't gift people to the anti movement :no:

Unfortunately it is that attitude of majority rule which will kill everything unique, fun and vibrant in a democracy. The reason? The majority of people in the country live in towns. They have little money, or education. There are a hundred million reasons for that and the debate is not a tangent we should look at, but it remains they form the majority.

Ergo, in a democracy, the government's role is to put order on top of the majority; to adjust views that do not respect minorities. I believe that unless an activity causes a direct issue to another human, it's fair enough. The majority doesn't believe that, and increasingly there is this view that democracy is in effect mob rule with a pretty frontage. Not so; that's anarchy but done nicely.

Governments need to remember their role, and minorities need to remind them!

Key point - this is shooting, and this is (generally) vermin control or deer shooting. Certainly on this board. And you know what, during the course of vermin control, vermin is controlled. That means a bullet, or pellet (airgun or shotgun) makes contact with the animal at great speed.

The animal dies, hopefully instantly. At the end of a successful trip of vermin control, there are dead animals. It is natural to take a photo of your achievement - in your hobby you have had success. If by some miracle I ever score a hundred at cricket, I expect to have a photo taken. I won't shy away there, either.

Joe Public will hate my cricket photo (because according to the media only toffs play cricket) and he will hate my vermin control photo, because he doesn't like dead animals.

And you know what - I don't give one iota. The public view of us needs to be HONEST. We kill animals, so the photos show the activity for what it is. If you're ashamed of it, don't do it. If you're not, then don't worry about the pictures.

All that said, there is definitely a case to make a bold note about the state of some of the animals as they can be a bit gross. But when it comes down to it, with such a warning - if you don't want to look you don't have to.

We should not worry about upsetting someone who is curious and having a look - if they really don't like dead animals, then taking up a sport where you kill animals is perhaps not the best plan. there are plenty of other shooting sites which feature the target side to our sport, and there are no dead animals there. Just pictures of guns.

There really is no point censoring what we do - it's legal, it's necessary and it's fun. Many will disagree, but I will disagree with them too. What we should be fighting about is our right to have a minority sport!

That just about sums up my view on the whole matter.

We try to ensure that no "inappropriate" pictures are posted and a post to this effect is pinned at the top of the Sporting Pictures section, http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/88157-inappropriate-images/ .

I don't think people that post pictures do it for "macho" reasons, I think its a way of sharing their success.

Many years ago I regularly posted pictures of myself with large fish on Angling Forums, I didn't feel I was showing off , just sharing the moment.

Note, I didn't post pictures of every fish I caught, just the special ones.

I don't take pictures of quarry I shoot, as I shoot so much that it would even bore me to look at them.

I take loads of photos on my days out mainly of the dog & the bag & anything unusual of intrest to me. I also keep a written game book ie date & time, farm, crop, weather, bag, would make good ammo for a divorce layer. I have posted a few on here with a small write up, to share with anyone interested. I view other peoples photos on here, some are exceptional if I remember right the ones by Magwitch? with the whippets on rabbits brilliant takes me back to my youth.

I really like to see pictures of animals people have shot. It's all a part of our sport and as a few people have stated above, I think a lot of shooters are far too secretive when it comes to talking about what they do. This may shelter the people "on the fence" but at the same time it's not going to stop any anti shooting attacks from people who don't agree with it.

I've had some of my best conversations with people who have been quite well on the anti side of the fence. I often drop myself in it by openly chatting about what I do with relative strangers. Of course at first many don't like it but most will talk about it with you and start to see that it's not all bad. Many won't go away liking it but most will walk away knowing what the reasons are for what we do. That's enough for them to no longer be a real threat to the sport - they still don't like it but know that without hunting, wildlife can actually suffer more by being left "for nature to balance".

My favourite question to people is this... If you have a hill with 70 deer on after they have had young in the summer but in the winter there is only enough food for 40 what do you do? Cleanly cull 30 selected animals leaving a heathy stock for next year, or let nature take the unlucky (possibly some of the best) ones over a period of perhaps a month or more by starvation? Put like that the bullet sounds good - I haven't yet had anyone tell me that letting them starve is better! :good:

I know I'm going a bit off of the picture topic, but it's all a part of the same thing. Hiding what we do will be the death of the sport as fewer and fewer people can see and perhaps accept what we do. Nobody was anti killing until supermarkets started wrapping meat in plastic, simply put it's because they knew that their pork chops had to come from a pig. Many had even seen it first hand because they slaughtered their own pig in the garden! It doesn't take long for these things to be forgotten and the way that happens is by us (society in general) hiding the nasty bits. :yes:

Edited by njc110381

There is no need for graphic images in any walk of life or for any purpose. It never make a picture better to have lots of blood. Even if you are not bothered there will always be those that are. It can never be seen as an plus can it?

A bit of discretion isn't a bad thing

What I don't understand is when there are x2 forums on here for vids and pictures. If so many of you don't like them why do you visit them??

They are there for those that do like to post and look.

As always there are 2 camps of thought just because you neither like or agree why should we be forced to have it your way?

Our activities are legal and conducted in a legal fashion.

Antis will not respect a dead animal or the hunter regardess of how it is laid out.

And those which are posed for almost always include the weapon. What does that say about us all?

Ask yourelves the pictures you take of anything you have bagged I bet over 90% of them will have the gun in there even without you.

Because your making a statement they were shot with that gun.

There are alot here who in their signature list all their guns, the dogs and even their insurance and open tickets. Thats fine but why?, because they are proud to have attained them through hard work and suitability.

Each to their own.

I also notice I am proud enough not to be annonamous, all who are scared of a ban or attack hide behind an avatar? Are they so weak willed and would they be so bold in their statements without that chance of hiding away.

Just my thoughts.

I am proud to be a hunter and mix alot abroad with likeminded hunters who cannot believe the way we in the UK have to skulk around.