Debit card fraud.

Cranfield

My daughter that lives in Dublin telephoned me over the weekend to say that she had an unexplained entry on her Bank Statement for about £350.

She contacted her Bank immediately and they investigated.

Apparently somebody purchased some electrical goods by telephone from Comet in Leicester, giving her debit card details and then "someone else" personally collected the goods.

The Bank accepted that my daughter lives in Ireland and hadn't been to Leicester and credited her account with the money.

When my daughter asked , "what happens next ?", assuming the Police would be involved, statements to be made etc., etc., the Bank gave the impression that nothing happened next, no more would be done about it.

How anyone got her debit card details is a mystery, she doesn't use it to purchase things over the telephone, or the Internet, she can't remember letting it out of her sight in a shop (I know they can have cloning machines under the counters, but what are the odds on that happening ?) and nobody could have taken it from her wallet.

Does that mean the fraudster works in the Bank ?

Why aren't the Police involved ?

How many £350's do the Banks right off every day ?

If you can get on to this con, its definitely worth it, the chances of getting caught are nil, as nobody appears to come after you. :lol:

You mention physical skimmers but there are non-physical ways - cameras attached to ATM's, camera phones, store CCTV I could go on.

Getting numbers from cards is easy and always has been, it just gets harder to use just the number. I would have thought commet would require the CVV2 number (off the sig strip) for CNP (not present) transactions. In which case its even worse, those numbers are hard to read with a camera.

Some shops EPS systems still print vital details on the reciept, all people have to do is look through a bin. Sometimes statements have numbers on them they really shouldn't - or posted reciepts from purchases.

Like just about all non-violent crime in this country it will not even be thought about unless there is evidence, and the transaction hits a trigger value.

£350 is a lot of money, but to the banks its nothing compared to what it would cost to investigate. Patterns are sometimes seen and occurances are added to bigger investigations.

Its big business :lol:

I suspect Comet will take the hit but you are right, the crooks will get away Scot-free.

One of my cards was compromised last year. I can only think it happened during what appeared to me to be a secure web transaction from a reputable supplier. Next thing I knew I had a few grand missing and charged to a builders merchants in London. Then another transaction to the same place for a grand, then another for a few more. About 7K all together.

I phoned VISA in a panic and explained the situation. They sorted it all out with no fuss at all. The initial operator could only see so much of the system apparently - all she really knew was the number of transactions, how much, when and that they were phone transactions.

I was then passed to the next level of security support who said that the builders merchants had accepted the CC details over the phone without phoning VISA to verify the details with them (which is in the T&Cs apparently for all phone transactions). It made the builders outfit liable so VISA simply give me back my money and took it back from the builders merchants. ;) I had to sign a declaration saying it wasn't me that made the purchases.

Even though they messed up, I felt for the builders merchants - they were left out of pocket and the crims got of Scot-free. Bet they were ****** :lol:

Piebob

Does that mean the fraudster works in the Bank ?

Was it HSBC? We had an email at work, last week, saying they had to sack at least one of their call centre staff in India as he'd been selling account info to black marketeers.

If they catch one then there'll be a few more they haven't caught.

two years ago i had £750 taken from my first direct account.i had only used my debit card once in four days at a resteraunt in croydon.turns out the **** who cloned it payed £375 off his visa card bill and £375 to T mobile.great paper trail i thought,easy to catch someone so stupid ! not a bit of it :no:

first direct credited my account with the missing money straight away,bank charges were wavered and i was informed that the amount was not significant enough to inform the police.even though they had all his details it wasnt worth it to persue him so god knows how long he got away with it.

just to clarify,said scumbag no longer works in the catering trade :lol: