Jubilee & 2012 in general

CZ550Kevlar

Shame about the rain.

Anekka Rice's interview with the painters was a bit of a fail, the rain had totalled their efforts. She tried her best to sound upbeat but it wasn't convincing :lol:

she definately looked at bit haggard

obviously an attempt to tie in with canalettos painting

Edited by artschool

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe me, you (we) are very lucky. You have the right to express an opinion about your rulers. Where I am currently working it is against the law to criticise the President (in writing or verbally), illegal to discuss his financial or private life. And, getting caught gets you a rest in one of the toughest prison regimes in the world!!

but that's why Kazakhstan number one exporter of potassium. Other countries have inferior potassium. :lol:

I've got nothing against the royal family and let's face it it's probably the least worst 'evolved' option. In fact I'm glad we have them not least because they like shooting.

I do however wish people wouldn't paint the picture that the only alternative is some sort of banana republic style presidential dictatorship. There are other civilised countries which manage without a President or a monarch.

If you really care you can't turn yourself into a royal (unless you're Kate Middleton) but you can go into politics and you could one day be PM.

I've got nothing against the royal family and let's face it it's probably the least worst 'evolved' option. In fact I'm glad we have them not least because they like shooting.

I do however wish people wouldn't paint the picture that the only alternative is some sort of banana republic style presidential dictatorship. There are other civilised countries which manage without a President or a monarch.

If you really care you can't turn yourself into a royal (unless you're Kate Middleton) but you can go into politics and you could one day be PM.

The point is that the Monarch is head of State, not head of Government. The monarchy is constitutional not political. The Queen represents the people of the Nation in their entirety, regardless of their political sympathies. She reigns, she does not rule. Politicians cannot do that. They always have an agenda and they are always factional. On the inside cover of our passports, beneath the Royal coat of arms, is printed the injunction 'in the Name of Her Majesty' to 'allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance' and afford them 'such assistance and protection as may be necessary'. In 'The Name of Her Majesty' means in the name of all of us. It carries a collective gravity which Government decree can't match.

The Monarch is an arm around the Nation, the Government is a hand in its pocket. We are fortunate to live in a country where National identity is seperate from short term political alignment. The difference between us and a benign democratic republic like the USA is that the symbol of their National identity is a dusty document, ours is a human being. I like the feel of that.

God bless you Maam.

Edited by Gimlet

The point is that the Monarch is head of State, not head of Government. The monarchy is constitutional not political. The Queen represents the people of the Nation in their entirety, regardless of their political sympathies. She reigns, she does not rule. Politicians cannot do that. They always have an agenda and they are always factional. On the inside cover of our passports, beneath the Royal coat of arms, is printed the injunction 'in the Name of Her Majesty' to 'allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance' and afford them 'such assistance and protection as may be necessary'. In 'The Name of Her Majesty' means in the name of all of us. It carries a collective gravity which Government decree can't match.

The Monarch is an arm around the Nation, the Government is a hand in its pocket. We are fortunate to live in a country where National identity is seperate from short term political alignment. The difference between us and a benign democratic republic like the USA is that the symbol of their National identity is a dusty document, ours is a human being. I like the feel of that.

Yes I understand that and do agree, and in our case particularly with our queen she is probably the ultimate public servant.

However the fundamental principle of a hereditary monarchy (if you go back far enough) is that they won battles, murdered their opponents, and the so called 'nobles' were simply hired thugs that were lucky enough to choose the winning side.

Ironic really but then all of humanity is that I guess.

Hi LB

did you know, there is no legal requirement for companies to pay thier staff for the day off. They must let them have the day, but don't have to pay them!!!

sorry no, i didnt know that, never the less the company is losing its workforce for the day through no fault of its own.

Hi LB

did you know, there is no legal requirement for companies to pay thier staff for the day off. They must let them have the day, but don't have to pay them!!!

I'm not sure they even have to let them have the day. As long as staff get 28 days statutory holiday annually it can be any 28 days AFAIK.

God bless you Maam.

What a good post! :good:

We live in a country with a head of state that is respected throughout the world,who has dedicated her self to this country,and has a workload that would make a person half her age think twice,she is Great Britain,and without her we would have a president,how does President blair sound?

A couple of days to show this country to the rest of the world with all our pomp and pagentry,some thing the americans cannot equel,and are envious of,it will not happen again in your life time,chill ,enjoy,marvel at a country that has a Head that still believes in Her Country.This is a time where the focus is on the Queen,not a smarmy politician feeding you packs of lies.

God Bless Queen Elizabeth the second,long may she reign.

Well said, :good: