chainsaw

BaconBoy

It's either the air or fuel filter are blocked, jets are blocked or somebody has attempted to fix it and messed up the mixture. I would guess that the mixture is far too lean so it just cuts under load rather than heavy smoking if rich. I would change the spark plug for good measure.

When you say under load, do you mean the engine or the chain?

Edit to clarify, does it rev freely but stall when you try to cut something? Hard to say I guess as you don't have it yet but I would say if it starts and runs it shouldn't be too difficult / expensive to fix. Worth a gamble if the price is right and you are reasonably handy?

Edited by Diceman

My last Stihl did that and it was fatal. Apparently the chrome lining on the bore had been scored and the piston, when cool , would allow the engine to start,. As it heated up, it lost power, like fuel starvation and eventually stopped, only to restart when cool. If you take the exhaust off and move the chain by hand you should see the condition of the bore. Its just as likely to be fuel or air filter. When did it last run? Unleaded is pretty poor after a long while in the tank.

I'd give it a wide berth and pay a bit more.

When mine done that trick back in January it was the fuel hose at fault, just a small hole in it. Husqvarna's don't like being stood about for long periods, the diaphram in the carb can go porous as can the fuel hose in my case.

My money is on scored piston/bore. A classic Husqvarna fault and fits the symptoms perfectly. Starts fine from cold, runs OK and then quietly dies and won't start once warmed up.

It will start, it will run and will rev like hell when you go to buy it. Once you put it to work it will drive you mad.

Add the purchase price, frustration and wasted time, cost of new piston/bore and hassle and I would really just go and buy a new one.

Made this mistake myself and bought a very tidy looking saw which drove me mad.

Check air filter, fuel filter, plug gap/new plug, replace fuel, reset carb to factory settings.

If that fails, see above.

My money is on scored piston/bore. A classic Husqvarna fault and fits the symptoms perfectly. Starts fine from cold, runs OK and then quietly dies and won't start once warmed up.

It will start, it will run and will rev like hell when you go to buy it. Once you put it to work it will drive you mad.

Add the purchase price, frustration and wasted time, cost of new piston/bore and hassle and I would really just go and buy a new one.

Made this mistake myself and bought a very tidy looking saw which drove me mad.

Check air filter, fuel filter, plug gap/new plug, replace fuel, reset carb to factory settings.

If that fails, see above.

I'm with you all the way. That's what happened to mine. Should have and need to buy a new one.

start with a new plug and clean the air filter - some guys never do. Could be jet setting, assuming the motor is ok - set the H screw to say 1 turn out and run the saw until warm, then with a screwdriver in the H screw & rev the saw right up and if a bit flat (4-stroking) turn the screw in a bit, or if it won't rev turn it out. It should get to a level where it runs freely - it will need to be set at max revs but that should give an indicator if the saw is ok and only minor probs.

if you want somebody to repair your saw look on 'Arbtalk - chainsaw section' and put in a post for 'spud' he fixes alot of saws for guys at a fair price.

Oh just remembered: check the exhaust muffler is not obstructed, had a small saw that lost all power - stripped the carb etc but it was just the exhaust carboned up.

Edited by Conygree

thanks for all the help guys,but the advertiser hasn't got back to me yet :no:

thats a good thing, broken saws just aren't worth buying they haven't been fixed for a reason usually despite the story. If you can change the piston etc then fine but to pay someone usually writes them off. I have to say I wouldn't ever buy a second hand saw as you just never know if its been run with a weak mixture. As said some of the small husqvarna hobby saws actually take one hell of a bashing I had a 136 for about 8 years doing plenty of clearance on the shoot and home and doing each years logs in the process which was no mean feat as we do burn a few. Just look after them and keep the chain sharp and thats about it run till they break. That one is in the shed doing exactly your symptoms so if you want a freebie to waste your time and money on let me know ;)