Oakley sunglasses

Bagsy

I'm looking to spend some money on some Oakley prescription lenses for my Flak Jacket sunglasses. Obviously they're quite expensive and I want to buy a single set rather than multiple lenses for all situations, so I'm left with the problem of trying to find a suitable lens for 'most' situations.

With this in mind I like the look of their Photochromic/Transition lenses which change according to the light. So, before I splash the cash I was hoping some of you may have experience of using them and whether or not they're actually any good?

http://uk.oakley.com/innovation/optical-superiority/photochromic

Thanks.

Not sure....I've shot with Oakley Radar glasses (were classified for shooting sports by Oakley 3 years ago) until recently until I got Boots to make me a set of prescription shooting glasses (they have a catalogue - you have to ask).

My Radars came with multiple lenses including photochromic, I shot better with the Yellow or Pink lenses - better contrast.

I don't think you will find a one lens covers all situations answer. If you used the photochromics and found a stand in bright sunlight and a clay in shade and vice versa, you would potentially have a real problem.

I use oakleys and have four lenses. Of these I use clear when coaching and a very dark grey mirrored lens in very bright conditions, which is very rarely in the UK. When you need it you really need it.

Of the rest I use HD Persimmon for about 75% of my shooting as they reduce light and increase contrast dramatically and cover all but the most extreme conditions.

The other most used is a VR28 (might have the code wrong, its a greeny/blue mirrored effect) this massively improves blaze clays against bright backgrounds, especially grass and light green foliage. Good for blaze skeet with tree backdrop or DTL against grass on brighter days.

I know people who carry a dozen lenses and worry about which is the ideal. I would manage with 2 for most situations.

With the cost of prescription and Oakleys high price anyway I can see why you would want to keep it to a minimum, but really don't think you will manage it.

I too would steer away from the photocromic for reasons outlined above.

Lense colour is a very personal thing, as everyones eyes vary in sensitivity to light. For 80% of my shooting I use a dark brown lense (VR28 I think, I believe the blue/green one is G26 but could be wrong) and clear for very low light. I have recently got a persimmon lens (a freebie after they cocked up my order) but find it too bright for me most if the time. I used just two lenses for years and got o ok but ideally I'd go for 3- clear, v dark, and one that is middle ground that suits your eyes.

I only use two, clear & really dark (Oakley Fire, you could weld in them) as i'm badly colourblind, tried everything over the years as in certain light conditions blaze targets on a green background are hopeless for me, but I suppose that's another question Lol

Have you considered the rx prescription inserts that clip into normall shooting glasses, not sure if they are an option with the Oakley's. It does allow you to chop and change colour lenses at will and try other peoples before buying more yourself.

Ate figgy

i use the pilla with prescription insert as im in my 40s and only have to change the insert when my prescription changes, happened once already and now due for an eye test hopefully wont happen again just yet

Edited by gwb