Hedgerow foray

hendersons

Today I'm mostly foraging the fields and hedgerows a bit closer to home. Has anybody else had a go yet?

Yes, I found some Jack Russell eggs and some White Alsatian truffles. Nom nom nom.

Had some wild Garlic a few weeks back but not been out since. Now that I have the vac packer I will be going for it big style.

Where did you get it from Rob?

There's usually quite a bit round my way. Theres a big clump in front of the neighbours house so it wasn't exactly foraged, more pinched :lol:

I still want to go crayfishing. Sounds like fun. Perhaps that's another summer activity we can do.

It is awesome fun. Glad you're having some sport Terry. Would love another sesh on them soon.

I usually have wild garlic harvested by now, but can't find any over here so far. Little wife has however been busy bottling and freezing elderflower cordial for a couple of weeks now. We have just got back from a walk. We got lost. Nothing new there except in our defence the map marks the route in yellow and the way markers on posts are blue :blink:

While we were off-piste we came across these little beauties............

WildStrawberries1.jpg

WildStrawberries2.jpg

WildStrawberries3.jpg

So, all's well that ends well :)

p.s. My mate has just brought my crayfish nets over from the UK so I'll be harvesting them soon too!

Edited by UKPoacher

There's usually quite a bit round my way. Theres a big clump in front of the neighbours house so it wasn't exactly foraged, more pinched :lol:

It is awesome fun. Glad you're having some sport Terry. Would love another sesh on them soon.

Rob you are welcome anytime :good:

I still want to go crayfishing. Sounds like fun. Perhaps that's another summer activity we can do.

If you want to have weekend with me in Hertfordshire let me know

Cheers Terry will do.

Rob, I meant where did you get the vacuum packer?

I got one from fresherpack.co.uk. They only have one model but its got a good review on a fishing forum. They sell all the stuff to go with it also and are a joy to deal with over the phone. Having vac'd about 20 items of various size and consistency the one thing I would say is that you get what you pay for. It doesn't have as much suck as I would like but for the money (£130) its quite good.

The one I really wanted was from a German sausage company called Weschenfelder. They import Italian units for all wallets by a firm called Takaje. They are more stylish and have more powerful pumps but the one I wanted was out of stock. As I had got it in my head that life could not go on without one I went for the Eiffel fresh pack from fresherpack.

I'm sure that I will be going for a big fella like Nicks next year. I can see huge potential and hundreds of uses for these tools. Today I have mostly been vacpacking apple mint and parsley. I'm going to do meats in marinades, leave them in the fridge for 24 hrs and then freeze. The boil in the bag fish applications are promising also.

Tomorrow I'm going to try packing belly pork in dry cider and then poach it for the rest of the day. Juice for gravy, roast to finish. Nom nom nom!

Rob you are welcome anytime :good:

If you want to have weekend with me in Hertfordshire let me know

Cheers good buddy, I will defo be in touch soon and hopefully we can fix a mutually convenient day. I want to vac pack some :lol: .

Wonder whether any of the Glozzy lads could make it over to Herts for a Cray sesh? How long id it take you to get to the last meet Terry?

Edited by ack-ack

I've just made 30 litres of elderflower cordial. I'll be vac packing it tomorrow and sticking it in the freeZer.

I usually have wild garlic harvested by now, but can't find any over here so far. Little wife has however been busy bottling and freezing elderflower cordial for a couple of weeks now. We have just got back from a walk. We got lost. Nothing new there except in our defence the map marks the route in yellow and the way markers on posts are blue :blink:

While we were off-piste we came across these little beauties............

WildStrawberries1.jpg

WildStrawberries2.jpg

WildStrawberries3.jpg

So, all's well that ends well :)

p.s. My mate has just brought my crayfish nets over from the UK so I'll be harvesting them soon too!

YUM! have you mixed the elderflower with the strawberries?

tastes divine :good:

Cheers good buddy, I will defo be in touch soon and hopefully we can fix a mutually convenient day. I want to vac pack some :lol: .

Wonder whether any of the Glozzy lads could make it over to Herts for a Cray sesh? How long id it take you to get to the last meet Terry?

2 hours

Clive you are a lucky man collectIng all those fraise de bois. I most certainly wish I could. The flavour is second to none. They always remind me of Del boy I seem to remember him saying fraise de bois fraise de bois Rodney and tapping his nose. Trying to suggest it is French for secret.

Duncan if you decide you are interested in a vac pack machine give me a shout. It wouldn't have to be as Industrial as mine.

Crayfishing trip sounds brilliant to me and two hours is nothing really.

Duncan if you decide you are interested in a vac pack machine give me a shout. It wouldn't have to be as Industrial as mine.

I'm up for buying a better one Nick. The one I've got can be relegated to shed/bait duties. Its not quite what I hoped it would be. I want something that can suck start a Harley Davidson.

I'm up for buying a better one Nick. The one I've got can be relegated to shed/bait duties. Its not quite what I hoped it would be. I want something that can suck start a Harley Davidson.

I'll send my mrs round but for the real suction power she has to have cider first

Clive you are a lucky man collectIng all those fraise de bois. I most certainly wish I could. The flavour is second to none. They always remind me of Del boy I seem to remember him saying fraise de bois fraise de bois Rodney and tapping his nose. Trying to suggest it is French for secret.

I did think of you when we were picking them. I could imagine you putting three or four on a small tart and charging the punters a King's ransom for them. :lol: We'll be going back for second helpings tomorrow or Tuesday if the sun ever manages to come out again. I'll put some aside if you want to pop over and pick them up.

My favourite quote from Del Boy was when he told Rodney that the French are no good at business because they didn't even have their own word for entrepreneur :lol:

YUM! have you mixed the elderflower with the strawberries?

tastes divine :good:

Last night we had the wild strawberries with ice cream and a little elderflower cordial drizzled over. As you say, a match made in heaven :) We are intending making elderflower sorbet with the cordial too.

Also would appreciate any recipes for concentrating the cordial into a syrup to reduce the freezer storage space required.

p.s. Any recipes for moles? I seem to have a surfeit :lol:

Crayfishing trip sounds brilliant to me and two hours is nothing really.

Thanks Nick will do. Just need to make friends with some local farmers because we haven't lived here long and I don't have any permission locally. Been so busy with the house I haven't had the chance to do much networking. Wneh I do and the meat starts coming in I'll get one.

As to the cray fish trip, count me in.

PS I'll need to pull my finger out as my son has mentioned he wants to try pigeon at least once a day for the last fortnight.