Hedgerow foray

hendersons

Had another go yesterday. Found my first chicken of the woods of the year. Also managed a few horse mushrooms, water mint, silver weed roots, nettles and another mountain of elderflowers.

Horse Mushrooms are the my faves. Used to get huge ones when I was a kid but I have to pick them before they become too visible from the adjacent road now. I'll deploy the Mrs and trug this evening.

• 2 weeks later...

Horse Mushrooms are the my faves. Used to get huge ones when I was a kid but I have to pick them before they become too visible from the adjacent road now. I'll deploy the Mrs and trug this evening.

Rob,

Watch out for parasol mushrooms in the hedge bottoms around horse paddocks. They are superb

Parasol-mushroom-BC.jpg

Rob,

Watch out for parasol mushrooms in the hedge bottoms around horse paddocks. They are superb

Parasol-mushroom-BC.jpg

Oh yes! I do love a Parasol. Heres a picture of my top patch.

I got a few Horse Mushrooms from there as well a few weeks back but was a week late as there were some behemoths that the stock had knocked over. Still had enough for a decent scran of shrooms on toast though.

EDIT: A basket makes you look wellard, its the new tattoo don't you know :lol:

post-28393-0-75444300-1340394117.jpg

post-28393-0-67654400-1340394131.jpg

post-28393-0-91272400-1340394434.jpg

Edited by ack-ack

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the middle of another forage today. I've just found my favourite summer flower. Meadow sweet. I feel some ice cream coming on.

Have you got any elderflower cordial left Nick? Last night I served melon & ice cream with a topping of elderflower cordial granita. It really hits the taste buds. :good:

We also found some blackberries from last year in the freezer so I did a stand by dish of the brioche apple & blackberry marble cake I posted earlier...

P1000513.jpg

It only takes about ten minutes to make and you can do them in small containers to amke individual cakes.

Hi Clive.

I've found a way of preserving the cordial so I think I've made about six Months worth. We are currently selling elderflower martinis in the restaurant from it which are proving very popular despite the rain.

The cake looks spectacular. I've got to make a load of brioche over the weekend so I will try a variation of it next week. I think I will fill it with rhubarb that I currently have a surplus of and serve it with creme anglaise flavoured with the meadowsweet I have been picking.

Nick

P1000513.jpg

Now that is my sort of pudding. I'm not really a sweety kind of bloke but that would float my boat. I also have some blackberries left over and I'll give that a go if I can get the bread. Last time I asked a youff assistant in the local saino's whether they had any Brioche he said 'yeah mate, all the cheese is round aisle 2'.

Hi Clive.

I've found a way of preserving the cordial so I think I've made about six Months worth. We are currently selling elderflower martinis in the restaurant from it which are proving very popular despite the rain.

The cake looks spectacular. I've got to make a load of brioche over the weekend so I will try a variation of it next week. I think I will fill it with rhubarb that I currently have a surplus of and serve it with creme anglaise flavoured with the meadowsweet I have been picking.

Nick

Can I book a table for two please?

Now that is my sort of pudding. I'm not really a sweety kind of bloke but that would float my boat. I also have some blackberries left over and I'll give that a go if I can get the bread. Last time I asked a youff assistant in the local saino's whether they had any Brioche he said 'yeah mate, all the cheese is round aisle 2'.

Try Aldi Rob. Get the sliced loaf. Put the crust in the bottom of a cake tin. Then half two more slices and arrange them round the crust north / south / east / west. Then quarter the next slice and tuck the quarters into the spaces and press everything down to make a seal. Once you've poured and smoothed the first batch of fruit mix in repeat the covering using more slices of brioche.

Try Aldi Rob. Get the sliced loaf. Put the crust in the bottom of a cake tin. Then half two more slices and arrange them round the crust north / south / east / west. Then quarter the next slice and tuck the quarters into the spaces and press everything down to make a seal. Once you've poured and smoothed the first batch of fruit mix in repeat the covering using more slices of brioche.

:drool: I wouldn't know whether to eat it or .... it!