Gruesome Discovery

BigDave15

I was out walking today checking up on were the pigeons were at and I made a gruesome discovery. Lying in the hedge was a young pigeon I looked like it had just been kicked out of the nest so I thought I would leave it to take its chances but when I walked past I noticed a pool of blood I knew something wasn’t right so I picked up the pigeon and had a closer look. All right it’s a bit of a list but here it goes:

It had no right eye

Is neck was cut and bleeding in many places

Its Leg looked like It was broken

It had many feathers missing

And When I looked at its Head I was amassed that it was still alive you could see its skull

It was completely bald; its skull had a tiny crack running sideways across it.

What had happened to this poor little buggar?

A fox? A Bird of prey?

I’m sure it would had bleed to death anyway But I didn’t like to see it like this so A sharp whack to the head finished him off Its neck wasn’t long enough so I couldn’t break the neck so I decided it was best it I knocked him on the head.

Do any of you know what could have happened here? Have you ever found anything like this before?

:lol: Dave when i saw the heading "Gruesome discovery" i expected to read that YP or TC had moved in next door.

You certainly did right to put the little mite out of it,s misery but what had done the damage i can only guess at like yourself. I don,t think it was a fox as i am sure he would have finished the job and i think another bird is the most likely explanation.

A magpie loves to go for the eyes and this could have been the culprit but it could have been any of several other birds.

:lol:

I would have reckoned a sparrow hawk would have only started attacking the flesh of a bird once it's dead, it'd have also pulled out the feathers on the back of the bird. I really couldn't see how a hooked beak could get the eye out either, I agree with ernyha that its a corvid of some description.