2012 classic

BRAD1927

Good evening all

I have had the good fortune to shoot the services classic today at EJ Churchills shooting ground ahead of the main event.

Is anyone planning on shooting this event over the next couple of days?

If you are be prepared for some seriously challenging targets at distance, height and speed, now I dont profess to be any form of crack shot but I do average 60/65 on a 100 bird sporting.

Todays event was 2 rounds of 75 over the red/blue course and I managed a measly 59/150!!! :blush: I was using my silver pigeon with briley 3/8 chokes and eley 28g 8's VIP Sporting 12g.

If you do shoot this event post your scores on here.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be down Saturday- hope it dries out a bit!

Certainly hope so we got drenched today took me an hour and half to dry and clean my gun.

The Red course in my opinion was the toughist and I wish I had used 1/2 & 3/4 lots of distant targets and I think promatic have got a special on chondels!!!!

I'll be down Saturday- hope it dries out a bit!

Forecast not too bad for Saturday, I've ordered one day of good weather in between the deluge that we're gonna get on Friday and Sunday, 'cos I'm playing Golf that day, 36 holes, looking forward to it. :yes:

On current form young Ed should be good for the low 140's, shoot well Mate. :good:

Cat.

Forecast not too bad for Saturday, I've ordered one day of good weather in between the deluge that we're gonna get on Friday and Sunday, 'cos I'm playing Golf that day, 36 holes, looking forward to it. :yes:

On current form young Ed should be good for the low 140's, shoot well Mate. :good:

Cheers mate! Wish I shared your optimism! Very up and down at the mo but keen to scratch my name on it for a second time so will see what I can do!

Cat.

Yes, cracking course (or courses). :good:

Weather was an absolute pig, soaked to the skin, which serves me right for not bothering with waterproofs (showers forecast) <_<

I agree, targets weren't easy, good testing stuff and I finished on a disappointing 92/150 :lol:

Both Nick and I slumped to 41/75 on the Blue course, the one within the shooting ground. I think I was shell-shocked after the first few stands :P

I recovered very slightly for the Red course, out on the Estate, but still only managed 51/75 against Nick's 52 :oops: in appalling weather.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the rain, and anybody who shoots with me will realise the significance of that. I don't normally do rain :sly:

Edited by Chard

Yeah, it's fine down here now, but the forecast is terrible for later.

'George' is shooting it today, let's see what he makes of it.

I expect he'll do pretty well. I think that's what separates the class acts from everybody else. If a top shot shoots an easy comp, he'll score 97%. If he shoots a tough one, he'll still get 90 or 91%.

If I shoot an easy comp, I'll get 85%. If I shoot a tough one, I'll scrape about 65% :lol:

Hi Brad,

Chard and I were there today too :yes:

Thought that it was a brilliant shoot with two excellent course; just failed to do it justice today finishing on a 93.

How did you and chard get on with the sim pair high tower? on the blue course, also the grouse butt?

How did you and chard get on with the sim pair high tower? on the blue course, also the grouse butt?

Hi Brad. The sim pair high tower was the first stand we shot and was part of the reason I was shell-shocked after a few stands. :lol:

We both got 2 out of 6 :blush:

The battue kept swerving off to the side in the wind, which made it a bit of a pig <_<

If the grouse butt is the one where you shot 3 separate full use of gun birds from a hole in the ground, I got the first 2 (low going away and a low fast looping horror from L-R), but I missed the white thing from R-L. I think Nick just hit the first bird.

I didn't shoot the Classic but I think I have shot (or at least shot at) that pair at the last monthly evening registered shoot.

Was it a mini followed by a standard? Sort of driven but if you turned clockwise from it you could sort of make them a L-R crosser?

I didn't shoot the Classic but I think I have shot (or at least shot at) that pair at the last monthly evening registered shoot.

Was it a mini followed by a standard? Sort of driven but if you turned clockwise from it you could sort of make them a L-R crosser?

No, it was a battue and a midi (I think). They weren't following, they were simo and very variable in the wind. As you shoot into quite a narrow gap in the tree canopy, the wind meant that the battue kept disappearing too quickly out the side :lol: As more than half of them disappeared in that way, you couldn't really class them as no birds, or we'd still be there now :lol:

No, it was a battue and a midi (I think). They weren't following, they were simo and very variable in the wind. As you shoot into quite a narrow gap in the tree canopy, the wind meant that the battue kept disappearing too quickly out the side :lol: As more than half of them disappeared in that way, you couldn't really class them as no birds, or we'd still be there now :lol:

Ahhh. They do put some tricky stuff off that tower especially if you're at the bottom of the woods. As you say, you get a limited shot window which I'd imagine is even more so now the trees are in leaf!