pigeon on peas

mrpip

Went on the peas last Saturday afternoon plenty of pigeon on the 40 acre field now the banger has been moved onto some spring barley that the geese have decided to take up residence on. Had a frustrating day no definite flight line onto the field, set up with my back to a block of rape, the pigeon were completely ignoring the rotor & dropping in all over the field mainly next to the road, moved across the field & just ended up sticking 8 decoys out & finished up with 15 picked. Not a great bag for the amount of pigeon in the area but they just didn’t want to play, my brother was on a smaller field about half a mile away & was having the same sort of day he finished up with a dozen picked up. On the way home we passed the last & smallest field at about 7 ish & there were about a 100 plus sat on the power lines, decided to give them another go on Tuesday thanks to HM had the day off. Got there at 1 ish & dropped him off at the small field were we had seen the pigeon on the wires, & I had a look at the others, the big field had a few about nowhere near the amount from Saturday, put about 20 off the field he had shot previous, with a few flighting to a bush in the corner of a rape field behind it the other side of a drainage ditch. Watched for a while & pigeon started drifting back all heading for the bottom end & into the bush. Weather had changed overcast threatening rain with a strong wind blowing down the field, no cover so just built the hide on a grass bank with the rape & the bush on the other side of the ditch at my back. Set the hide & decoys on an angle so I was shooting across the wind, & away from the road, put the rotor out at 30 yds & 8 decoys in a random pattern 5 on one side 3 the other. Had 2 pigeon in straight away dropped them both perfect, had 16 picked in the first hour all decoying perfect then it went quiet. Started getting a few more as the afternoon went on mainly single birds, my brother was not doing a deal either, we had to pack up just after 6, but I finished up with 27 picked a few scared & only lost 1 in the rape behind me to far & to thick to send the dog on a blind retrieve. Picked him up & he had picked 18 & not seen a pigeon for over 2 hours. All shot with 32 gram 5s steel for the hawk man.

post-13005-0-82442800-1339044074.jpg