TO TWEAK OR NOT TO TWEAK

NIGHT SEARCHER

I got a second hand Daystate Huntsman FTR for the right money. :yahoo:

I have stripped it and re-built it with new seals. :good:

Had it re-blued and i re-finished the stock with 7 coats of teak oil it looks stunning. :cool1:

My dilemma is it only takes a 160 Bar fill.

It shoots at 10.5 ftlb at 160 Bar and then has you shoot it climes to a peek and gives about 15 shots at 11.98 ftlb then starts to drop slowly giving around 50 shoots back down to 10.5 ftlb. :good:

So over all its giving me around 70 to 80 shots per fill above 10.5 ftlb and peeking at 11.98 ftlb. :yahoo:

So its only just legal only just. Do i tweak it down a bit or leave it :hmm::hmm:?????? .

I phoned my local police fire arms department and got a very obnoxious woman :devil: how just said 12 ftlb is the limit if its over by .01 ftlb its a section one fire arm and put the phone down. :smartass:

It must have been her time of the month or she is not getting any **** Turpin. :lol:

Personally I'd take it down just a little. That's horribly close and could easily go over with a brand of pellet that you haven't tested. For the grief you can get into over that tiny bit of power it's worth keeping it at 11.5 max in my opinion. :good:

That's stupidly close to the limit, take it down slightly. If it ever got tested by the police they will use a variety of different pellets, if any brand/weight takes it over the limit you've got a major problem. It doesn't matter if your set-up is within the limit, if it could exceed it they you've broken the law. Then allow for a bit of muck in the barrel or something to change slightly - 0.03 ft lb's is all that's needed to be illegal.

It's not worth the penalties for the extra power, turn it down 1/2 a ft lb or so and stay legal.

I have a friend how works for the GMP police fire arms Department and he said they test a Air Rifle with the pellets that the Rifle was seized with. :good:

That is the only fair way to do it. :good:

What with what is available now Napier power lube and Thunderbolt pellets. :yes:

He said that they have even had the cheap end Rifles going over 12 ftlb through dieseling.

If a Rifle is seized without pellets they test the Rifle with ely wasp blue tin only. :yes:

I think i might take it down a touch just to be on the safe side. :yes:

I have a friend how works for the GMP police fire arms Department and he said they test a Air Rifle with the pellets that the Rifle was seized with. :good:

That is the only fair way to do it. :good:

What with what is available now Napier power lube and Thunderbolt pellets. :yes:

He said that they have even had the cheap end Rifles going over 12 ftlb through dieseling.

If a Rifle is seized without pellets they test the Rifle with ely wasp blue tin only. :yes:

I think i might take it down a touch just to be on the safe side. :yes:

This was discussed not that long ago. Your friend/the department he works for might normally do it this way, but the law makes it quite clear that if it's capable of exceeding the limit, it's section 1. If they only check it as it's seized that's fine, but they can try different things - if they aren't happy with you for whatever reason and want to get a conviction, you can be sure they'll try everything they can.

That's why you have to be prepared for them to try anything.

Well if that was the case a 10 ftlb Rifle could be easily put over the 12 ftlb limit by a bit of oil making it diesel or a bit of diesel.

Napier power lube down the Barrel and Thunderbolt pellets it would go well over.

Saying that it dose seam that each Constabulary dose there own thing.

And if they have someone that has been misusing an Air Rifle like shooting at people then you could understand it.

There was a case in Romley Stockport were a bloke was shooting at school kids every day going past his flat. And reports of cars being shot at.

In a case like that you could understand them wanting a conviction.

put it this way, if i was testing a rifle and it started churning out figures of 11.98, I would be testing it with a lot of pellet types, not to deliberately hunt for a conviction just to check that there weren't other types that would as consistently .03 more. And, all it takes is for one of your pellets to be slightly odd and there you have it, an S1 fire arm on your own pellets...

I like to keep my gun shooting at 11.5. I'm not going to miss the extra .5 power and it keeps me nicely away from a fire arms conviction due to what would really be only my own stupidity!

'Better safe than sorry' is rarely more apposite than with fire arms laws!