Correct sight picture - how much rib

Hi All,

What is the correct sight picture for a sporting shotgun. After a long break from the sport, I have broken out my beretta and wonder if I have the mounting correct.

Should I be able to see the rib of the barrels (about 1/2"-1" in height if that makes sense) or just the bead at the end so the rib is essentially not visible?

I do not look at either whilst shooting, but when dry mounting I see the rib above the barrels. Is this wrong?

Thanks

Like magman says this is a bit of a can of worms, but a general rule of thumb is to place a £1 coin onto the rib 20cm from the breech and mount the gun. If you see the front bead sitting on top of the £1 coin then it's about right (apparently)

Iggy.

Thanks for the quick reply guys!

Firstly - it looks like my estimation of size was poor. Secondly I need to practice consistent mounting!

Looks like I can see les rib than I thought. Tried the trick with the pound coin 20cm from breech and it nearly obscures the bead on the end.

Secondly - super shapr shooter - you are spot on it is what you hit, not what you see - i just need to hit a few more clays! I am a bit rusty after 15 years since shooting regularly.

Cheers

Rich

Like magman says this is a bit of a can of worms, but a general rule of thumb is to place a £1 coin onto the rib 20cm from the breech and mount the gun. If you see the front bead sitting on top of the £1 coin then it's about right (apparently)

:stupid:

Thanks for the quick reply guys!

Firstly - it looks like my estimation of size was poor. Secondly I need to practice consistent mounting!

Looks like I can see les rib than I thought. Tried the trick with the pound coin 20cm from breech and it nearly obscures the bead on the end.

Secondly - super shapr shooter - you are spot on it is what you hit, not what you see - i just need to hit a few more clays! I am a bit rusty after 15 years since shooting regularly.

Cheers

Rich

Try to build up a sight picture in your head of the standard targets you will regularly come across and stick with that. This works for me when I shoot my usual o/u but if I change the gun then the brain remembers the picture but the gun isn't pointing in the same place.

If you have had some time away I would worry more about getting in some practice rather than the intricacies of gun fit. Knowing how to hit a clays will be rusty.

You can also get someone to look down the barrels (when unloaded obviously) and see how your eye is lining up with the bead.

Personally, I don't like much rib at all.

Right first off have you got two beads on the rib ,one in the middle and one near the end of the muzzles?

If so then the correct alignment should be to have the end bead sitting on top of the centre bead effectivley forming a figure of eight shape.

Next mounting,keeping your eyes tightly closed mount the gun and settle in to your most comfortable shooting position now open your eyes and see where you are in realation to bead alignment,obviously the less you have to move to get the right picture(figure of eight beads)the better,now try the same exercise from a gun down position eyes closed then mount and swing as if in the field then open your eyes and see where you bead pattern is. Dont panic if its a good way off being ideal ,you are simply going to have to adjust your mount to suit which is where practice comes in.Personally i practice a couple of times a week(with an unloaded gun) in the house just following the coving joint on the ceiling until i can mount and have evrything in alignment the figure of eight and the imaginary target line as second nature, basically creating muscle memory.

Hope these few little tips help mate,they where passed on to me by an old lad many years ago and have helped me no end.

Edited by Jega

Personal preference again, but I look for about 1/8 rib showing over the highest point on the breech of my beretta O/u, never look at the bead but spend a long time mounting the gun and checking that it pointS straight at a mock target and gives me the 1/8 inch gap.

I never knowingly sight, just bring up the gun and track with both eyes open. (assuming eye dominance is with you).

As others have said - it works for me - just as important though is 'swinging' smoothly.`

Right first off have you got two beads on the rib ,one in the middle and one near the end of the muzzles?

If so then the correct alignment should be to have the end bead sitting on top of the centre bead effectivley forming a figure of eight shape.

Next mounting,keeping your eyes tightly closed mount the gun and settle in to your most comfortable shooting position now open your eyes and see where you are in realation to bead alignment,obviously the less you have to move to get the right picture(figure of eight beads)the better,now try the same exercise from a gun down position eyes closed then mount and swing as if in the field then open your eyes and see where you bead pattern is. Dont panic if its a good way off being ideal ,you are simply going to have to adjust your mount to suit which is where practice comes in.Personally i practice a couple of times a week(with an unloaded gun) in the house just following the coving joint on the ceiling until i can mount and have evrything in alignment the figure of eight and the imaginary target line as second nature, basically creating muscle memory.

Hope these few little tips help mate,they where passed on to me by an old lad many years ago and have helped me no end.

If you only have one bead, make a figure of eight with your pupil

Edited by bakerboy

I think the advice to place a pound coin on it is about right, but I think that a lot of it is down to personal preference. It's not good to be seeing too much rib if it makes you shoot high, but a little is fine.

Personally I don't like to see any rib, I like to look along the the gun and only see the bead, but that's just me.

The main thing is that your mount is consistent, practice that and make sure that when you mount the gun with your eyes shut it comes up in the right place, that matters more than anything.

I have only one 'bead' (mine is a long square plastic thing), but having tried the trick with the pound coin, I think I do not have too much visibility of the rib.

The rest of your advise is exactly what I have been doing, just not enough!! A family friend once told me exactly what you described even down to following the coving joint.

Thanks again to all replies