Are you Related to an "Anti"?

You are both entitled to your views, in fairness neither side of the argument is right or wrong, both sides are completely valid. You enjoy your sport/hobby of shooting animals you brother views it as a cruel and unnecessary sport. You must both accept each others views and respect them.

Have him round to dinner and kiss and make up. Life is to short and family to important to argue over a ruddy fox eating someone else's hen.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mother in law didnt like me shooting, until she put her foot down a rabbit hole and broke her ankle,

rabbits should all be controlled now

she lives next to a farm, and they have a rabbit problem, I keep being asked when I visit, if I have brought a gun.

My mother in law didnt like me shooting, until she put her foot down a rabbit hole and broke her ankle,

rabbits should all be controlled now

she lives next to a farm, and they have a rabbit problem, I keep being asked when I visit, if I have brought a gun.

:lol:

Very good.

You are both entitled to your views, in fairness neither side of the argument is right or wrong, both sides are completely valid. You enjoy your sport/hobby of shooting animals you brother views it as a cruel and unnecessary sport. You must both accept each others views and respect them.

Have him round to dinner and kiss and make up. Life is to short and family to important to argue over a ruddy fox eating someone else's hen.

well said sir well said :good: :good: :good: :good:

Well I had a long chat with my brother last night and the outcome was:

He didn't realise that it sounded like he was "having a go at my wife" and accepts that any remarks about me should have been directed straight to me, this he has appologised for. With regards to his views on shooting living creatures, this is something that has been playing on his mind for quite some time now and has just built up. He is not going to change his opinions any more that I am going to change mine so we have agreed to "beg to differ" and as niether of us want our relationship spoiled we have agreed not to discuss the matter any more. When I call him or vice vresa I will not say anything about my shooting and he will not say anything about his "anti" views.

Just to finish off we chatted about trying to set up a bit of a holiday together and have some "prime time" doing a bit of sea fishing on his boat at Brixham.

I surpose that we are both going to have to choose out words a bit more carefully in the future so as not to bring the subject up again but at least we are back to talking to one another as family should!

It's the father in law that recently got me back into hunting.

I really wanted to get back into it anyhow but thought I would apply for my SGC gain some brownie points at the same time.... Now, the mother in law hates me even more than she did before because I 'kill things'... I cant' win :no:

Just to finish off we chatted about trying to set up a bit of a holiday together and have some "prime time" doing a bit of sea fishing on his boat at Brixham.

That might be a good time to open up that age old debate as to whether fish are truly cold blooded and feel no pain, or stress, when being hooked in the lip and dragged up from their natural environment................................or perhaps not. ;)

I was always told that it was the Welsh that were famous for their family feuds, often quarelling over trivial things.

Some of these would last for generations, and eventually no one could remember what the original grudge was about.

Richard Vaughan wrote the book "Moulded in Earth", this was supposedly in the 1800s, but depicts a family feud between two farming families in the Brecon area, excellent reading, but a pain trying to get hold of any of Richard Vaughans books, if you can get one, it is well worth it.

And good luck Frenchieboy, I'm sure it will work out ok.

Well I had a long chat with my brother last night and the outcome was:

He didn't realise that it sounded like he was "having a go at my wife" and accepts that any remarks about me should have been directed straight to me, this he has appologised for. With regards to his views on shooting living creatures, this is something that has been playing on his mind for quite some time now and has just built up. He is not going to change his opinions any more that I am going to change mine so we have agreed to "beg to differ" and as niether of us want our relationship spoiled we have agreed not to discuss the matter any more. When I call him or vice vresa I will not say anything about my shooting and he will not say anything about his "anti" views.

I surpose that we are both going to have to choose out words a bit more carefully in the future so as not to bring the subject up again but at least we are back to talking to one another as family should!

Just blame it on him being part French, out of interest is he vegan as if not it blows any argument out of the water. As CharlieT says invite him for dinner kiss and make up and serve a nice loin of venison ;)

Out of interest, is he now living in Sydney or other major metropolitan city? :hmm: As i have relatives living out there and i've never met such a bunch of lefty, PC, hand-wringing buffons in my life! And i've been told that they were just like the rest of us when they went out there. Oz seems to have a polarised population, with those in cities being liberal tree-huggers and those living in the small towns and villages more 'pragmatic' shall we say :sly:

He is welcome to his views as are you, why is it that HE should be right?

That just about sums it up for me. Agree to disagree is the only option here - he has to learn to deal with it and that's that! Maybe help him by not talking about it too much when he's around if he doesn't want to hear it?

My other halfs aunt once said to me that she didn't appreciate seeing posts that myself and my friends had made on facebook of dead animals. My answer to that was that she should block my content... If she thinks anything's going to change because she doesn't like it then she can take a long walk along a short pier. :yes:

my parents are both very long standing members of RSPB and SWT but they understand there has to be a balance just as all shooting folk should understand the same. We must protect ground nesting birds of all specices (fox control) and show restraint with early young birds at the start of each season sadly there are still a few who want to blast everything in sight but thankfully not many. The Anti thing is a problem in as much as many dont understand the good shooting folk do they only look at selective negatives :yes:

I forgot to say in my last post that it's good you got it sorted.

My mind is very much along the lines of what Cranfield posted, but I think some things are better left alone! A big part of me giving up fishing was due to me not being happy to drag fish out of the water just to let them go again. It may sound silly coming from someone who hunts, but if you're not going to eat it and it's not bothering anyone, what's the point?

Not the best forum to post that view so tin hats on! :oops:

Well I had a long chat with my brother last night and the outcome was:He didn't realise that it sounded like he was "having a go at my wife" and accepts that any remarks about me should have been directed straight to me, this he has appologised for. With regards to his views on shooting living creatures, this is something that has been playing on his mind for quite some time now and has just built up. He is not going to change his opinions any more that I am going to change mine so we have agreed to "beg to differ" and as niether of us want our relationship spoiled we have agreed not to discuss the matter any more. When I call him or vice vresa I will not say anything about my shooting and he will not say anything about his "anti" views.Just to finish off we chatted about trying to set up a bit of a holiday together and have some "prime time" doing a bit of sea fishing on his boat at Brixham.I surpose that we are both going to have to choose out words a bit more carefully in the future so as not to bring the subject up again but at least we are back to talking to one another as family should!

I have to ask though, is his sea fishing all catch & release? If not, I detect a faint whiff of hypocrisy from your brother!

I was going to point this out, not wishing to be a pain but there is a sense of irony here.

So it's not acceptable for you to kill anything, but fish are fair game lol.

Man did not spend 3 billion years clawing his way to the top of the food chain ,to eat grass .

Harnser .

:good:

A big part of me giving up fishing was due to me not being happy to drag fish out of the water just to let them go again. It may sound silly coming from someone who hunts, but if you're not going to eat it and it's not bothering anyone, what's the point?

It's sport just as shooting clays is, I'm happy that there is no long term damage done generally when I return a fish. That said, I do now only sea and game fish, both with one eye very much on the pot. If I return something it's either undersized or inedible.

That is a tough one Frenchie....don't know what the solution might be. It is difficult to justify our pastime to someone who is or has become a total anti. A guy I work with found out I shoot and went ape, "hurting little animals is not justified under any circumstances" was his view. He had no idea what kind if shooting I did, targets FT or what,he just made his mind up that I was a rampant killer of small creatures.

So much so that he said if I lived next door to him and was shooting in my garden (a pastime we know as plinking) he would take a baseball bat to me!!!! I asked him if he was a complete moron as I have got a 14 shot gun and he has got a stick, albeit a thick stick. I would not stand and let him use a bat on me !!

I then put a different slant on the arguement asking if you had rats in your garden where your kids play would your view be any different. Sadly not, he had no idea of the potential that such a scenario could produce. We all know the diseases rats potentially carry....some fatal to people. Changed not his mind a jot.

However I do not and will never live next door to him so the hypothosis is meaningless.

What it does show is how single minded "antis" can be, be it anti guns or anti country sports, they will not listen to any arguement you put forward. However as someone said a few days ago "unless it's 2 for a fiver from ASDA"

I only talk about shooting to people who shoot,,,save myself the hassle of the arguements.

I don't know why your bro has developed the view he now has, it does sound a bit like female influence but that is conjecture.

I hope you both can put these differences to one side and get on with your lives as brothers, My two one older one younger left this world some years ago as did my younger sister. When they (or you) are gone none of the arguements, disagreements or fall outs can be put right.

Good luck mate & my kindest regards to your Lady

ATB

Bri

Edit = typo and Glad you you are both cool now.

Edited by Sha Bu Le