Any tips for Hunting rabbits with air rifles

Rabbit hunter2000

Hi i am waiting for Permission at my local golf club to do some pest control,i need some tips i will be hunting at dusk and may be lamping aswell

I am new to this kind of shooting. And i am a member of basc

Firstly practice on paper targets until you can consistently group within a 2p radius.

Also what rifle do you have thats the key starting point to this.

My best advice would be to then search on youtube. Some of the videos are helpful just avoid the ones where people just keep popping rabbits because that wont help you at all. Finally go into the supermarket and pick up a copy of airgun world or airgunner, itll really open your eyes and there are lots of useful hunting tips.

If all else fails just get out there and learn by trail and error. :good:

Theoben fenman has nailed it! Good plan in getting the insurance. You may have already done this, but go to the course and find out exactly where the bunnies are and where they feed. Golf courses are good as the terrain can provide blinds and dips that you can use to move up on your targets. Spend a bit of time with a binoculars watching them to get to know their habits. Then, when you know you're a good shot, confident in getting a clean kill whenever you pull the trigger, get out there and have a bash! With bunnies, often movement is the key. As long as you're not wearing very bright and dramatic clothes, stay still and they'll come out. You tube is always a good place to start with videos, in particular HuntersVermin's channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/huntersvermin?feature=results_main

he's done loads of rabbit hunting videos and they're filled with loads of hints and tips. check em out!

use the search function someone covered the lamping topic on here very thoroughly very recently, practice standing if youve shot mainly benchrest ect, just make sure your consistant, and remember what might be possible on paper indoors isnt always possible in the field, as there are other factors than just bullet drop, such as wind , and also practice judging range, that was what screwed me up when i first started.

Range estimation can be difficult at night. I find that static hunting works best with the air rifle when after rabbits. Set yourself up within your comfortable hunting range beside where the rabbits are most active, and spend a few moments marking out distances at 5 meter increments using whatever is at hand (twigs etc), up to your maximum hunting range. Do this at dusk using a tape measure, then go back to your static position and wait.

When using a lamp it is a good idea to keep movement to a minimum. If possible, set the lamp up so that it highlights the area you are shooting over when turned on. Of course if you do not wish to static hunt, when on the move try to minimise the possibility of rabbits catching a glimpse of your silhouette. Keep a low profile and move just as cautiously as you would during the day, bearing in mind your footsteps will have to be lighter due to not being able to see what you are about to walk on most of the time.

I find that lamping rabbits works best on overcast nights, as the moon can act as a visual aid to the rabbits.