`RWS SuperPoint Extra

Hopper Bopper

Because squizzers are so tough, I wondered about using a pointed pellet.

The RWS SuperPoint Extra is almost the same weight as my usual AA Diablos so same power and so far target practice has shown good results.

What do you guys think about all the above before I commit to using them in anger?

ATB

HB

I have shot thousands of Rats Bunnys Crows and i have used and tried lots of Differrent pellets. :thumbs:

Hollow point pellets work well out of a 12 ftlb gun at close range but not very accurate at long range. :good:

Pointed pellets are fairly accurate but i find you get a small entry and exit hole :no: So the pellet just goes straight through your target without dumping its kinetic energy in to your target. :no:

And you get a few runners yes there dead but they just don`t know it. :sad1: You need the shock factor of a pellet that spreads and dumps its energy on impact with a target. :good:

I use RWS Superdome or Superfield or Crosmam premier Magnums or Bisley Magnums. :good:

The Superfields are very very accurate out to 60 yds. :good:

The crosmans are a very well finished and accurate pellet and great when out lamping or using Night vision they look like tracers. :good:

But all four pellets i use dump there energy on impact and give you a small entry hole but a bigger exit hole and you get instant kills they drop stone dead because of the impact shock wave. And the pellets spread inside your target. :yahoo:

Whatever you shoot deserves a clean instant kill even Rats. :yes: Happy. :shoot::shoot::shoot:

Use your AA Diablos (Field) They'll kill any airgun quarry and are very accurate too.

I agree these are accurate and on the rabbits they are spot on but I have had a couple of occasions where the squizzer has been hit in the head with a loud impact, then run off!!!!!

I cannot accept this obviously, hence the idea of a point to get through the tough little boogers.

HB

S410 sub 12 in 177 flavour.

On squizzers only, range from 8 yards(which gives no problem as you would expect) out to 25 yards.

The problem seems to start at 15 yards +

Zero is checked regular and i know my mil dots.

Rifle air pressure runs at 160 to 180 bar for sweet spot.

HB

Squirrels heads are not armoured plated , a correctly placed shot with a dome head pellet will do the job much further than 15 yards.

I think the problem is more likely you just are not hitting the right spot on the head of the ones that are legging it ,I always favoured shooting them between the back edge of the eye and back of the head, if your getting them in front of the eye there will be more chance of wounding ,having said that I dont shoot many squirrels these days so I am no expert !!

Now i know you are shooting in .177 you could try an heavier pellet for that bit more hitting

power like Bisley Magnums. wt 10.6 gn or better still Bisley Premier twin-ring pointed pellets at 10.6 gn. :good:

What power is your Air Arms doing at 170 Bar is it over 10.5 ftlb. ???

If you want to try pointed pellets i came across a tin of Webley hustler harrier twin ring pointed pellets very well finished and no moulding marks.

I tried them in my Datstate FTR and they were pellet on top of pellet at 30 yds and best of all only £3.50 a tin of 500.

So very accurate pointed and cheap as chips. :yahoo:

www.airgunpellets.co.uk do them at £3.49 plus P&P :good:

We use RWS pellets in our Gamo springers (.22). Points account well for feathered species as they get through the flight muscles of magpies and jackdaws etc but domes for fur. RWS superpoint accounted for a magpie in the garden last night - no exit hole all energy transferred to internal organs. Squizzers are aa definite dome target.

Edited by garden gun

Now i know you are shooting in .177 you could try an heavier pellet for that bit more hitting

power like Bisley Magnums. wt 10.6 gn or better still Bisley Premier twin-ring pointed pellets at 10.6 gn.

What power is your Air Arms doing at 170 Bar is it over 10.5 ftlb.

If you want to try pointed pellets i came across a tin of Webley hustler harrier twin ring pointed pellets very well finished and no moulding marks.

I tried them in my Datstate FTR and they were pellet on top of pellet at 30 yds and best of all only £3.50 a tin of 500.

So very accurate pointed and cheap as chips.

www.airgunpellets.co.uk do them at £3.49 plus P&P

This doesn't seem to exist mate...

www.airgunpellet.co.uk

Sorry mate i have just tried it and its pellet no s not pellets. :good:

I have just phoned them and they are still in Business.

I don`t if the mods will allow this if not i will PM you.

I am only trying to help another member out.

Phone numbers 0844 496 1675

01142 280426

Mobile 07768 446040

Air gun pellet

Unit H

Staniforth works

Main street

Hackenthorpe

Sheffield

S12 4LB

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

We use RWS pellets in our Gamo springers (.22). Points account well for feathered species as they get through the flight muscles of magpies and jackdaws etc but domes for fur. RWS superpoint accounted for a magpie in the garden last night - no exit hole all energy transferred to internal organs. Squizzers are aa definite dome target.

No offence but there are one of three explanations:

1) Your garden is 200 yards long

2) You couldn't see an exit hole

3) Your gun is producing 3-4 ft lbs

Squirrels heads are not armoured plated , a correctly placed shot with a dome head pellet will do the job much further than 15 yards.

I think the problem is more likely you just are not hitting the right spot on the head of the ones that are legging it ,I always favoured shooting them between the back edge of the eye and back of the head, if your getting them in front of the eye there will be more chance of wounding ,having said that I dont shoot many squirrels these days so I am no expert !!

I love when people seem able to hit the right part of the head on pigeon and squirrels. :rolleyes: Look I have hunted with air guns for getting on to 40 years and although I admit it is possible to hit the right part of the head when everything including distance is right, in practice it is just day dreaming. Unfortunately it IS possible to get runners when attempting head shots on such twitchy creatures. FAC level air guns are fine as the power can compensate for slightly misplaced shots but sub 12 ft lbs is less forgiving. When I was much younger I often body shot close squirrels with pointed pellets at up to 25 yards with very terminal results, the pellets often stopped just below the tough skin on the other side.

When you zero your rifle with a nice rest at a known distance with no time limit, don't tell me you never get the odd flier that lands a few mm's away from the tight pack?! Those few mm's can easily mean a jaw shot even on a still squirrel. An upper body shot with a well penetrating pellet at close range is much more likely to cause rapid expiry in comparison.

Well just got back from a quick trip and I agree with a lot of feedback to this thread.

Used the points on hoppers - two shots and two drops. However while the kills were clean they were not as efficient as domes.

Definitely going back to domes for yabbits.

thanks to all for the comments.

ATB

HB