One gun stalker calibre

Harnser

I am now a one gun stalker ,and regulars to this forum will know that it is the venerable .308 with a 150 grain soft point bullet traveling at about 2700 ft per second .

I f you had to be a one gun stalker ,what would you choose ? I definitely go for the .308 with the mighty .270 as a very ,very close second .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

I am now a one gun stalker ,and regulars to this forum will know that it is the venerable .308 with a 150 grain soft point bullet traveling at about 2700 ft per second .

I f you had to be a one gun stalker ,what would you choose ? I definitely go for the .308 with the mighty .270 as a very ,very close second .

Harnser .

The .308 does it all and can handle a huge range of bullet weights. One could also use the .25-06, 30-06, .270 win. For me the .308 wins though.

One other cartridge I find interesting for the UK stalker (given the distance of most of my shots) is the .358 winchester.

One of the best calibres I have shot deer with in the states was the 44 magnum pistol . Deer shot with this pistol round are killed instantly with no shoot through . Yes the range is restricted but at 50 yards or so they go down dead . I saw a good white tail buck shot at a good 80 yards with this round and it died instantly . Unfortunately not allowed in this country .

Harnser .

I read this topic when it first started and didn't answer. I don't think there is an answer really!

Of all the calibres I've had I'm very fond of the 6.5x55, but then my experience on the larger species is limited. Although I've never had one I think your choice could just be right but who knows? One thing I am sure of is that if I could never change it it sure as hell wouldn't be a .243!

My 7-08 is nice as is my 7x57. But is it better than my 6.5 was? I don't know! They're all good!

I think I'll have to leave it as anything of 6.5mm or over and not a magnum round. Too much speed is bad in my opinion as is too light a bullet.

One of the best calibres I have shot deer with in the states was the 44 magnum pistol . Deer shot with this pistol round are killed instantly with no shoot through . Yes the range is restricted but at 50 yards or so they go down dead . I saw a good white tail buck shot at a good 80 yards with this round and it died instantly . Unfortunately not allowed in this country .

Harnser .

The round is but not the platform of course. :)

Ian.